Question for p95carry.

This is a discussion on Question for p95carry. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey! I buddy of mine recently got a p89 and after a few range sessions we're both in love with rugers! Now he is looking ...

Thread: Question for p95carry.

Question for p95carry.

Hey! I buddy of mine recently got a p89 and after a few range sessions we're both in love with rugers!
    Now he is looking to start carrying it. Good news is that he is wanting to carry a great gun. Bad news is that he's only ever carried a kel-tec p32!
    How do you recommend carrying such a large pistol for someone who has only ever done pocket carry?
    I normally carry a G19 in a C-Tac. (Like everyone else!)

Because of that he is considering a IWB Kydex holster similar to mine. Is this okay? It seems to me that it might be too big for IWB. Also I'm a little concerned about the decocking lever digging in after extended carry.
    Any thoughts?

APBT

P.s. The reason I'm asking instead of him is because he isn't very internet savvy...at all.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - well ... my first semi carry was my P95 which followed M85 snub carry for some while.

My solution back then was cheap and basic!

I used a paddle Fobus OWB (I know, lots of folks hate 'em). I do think this platform being so chunky is not that nice for IWB and so for myself can only thinkl OWB. Despite the bad press on Fobus I did find mine held in quite tight and really was back then quite successful.

I do have good choice for carry garments and this helps. Plus these days I am a total convert to good leather

I'd say it is worth considering some custom leather tho if possible but certainly for me .... not IWB for these puppies A good leather pancake with belt slots will hold in pretty tight - as does my Eagle Defender with my SIG 226 ST - and that's to all intents a big full size gun.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I agree with P95. A good OWB leather holster and belt will carry best. I carry a HK USP f sometimes. (about the same size as a P-ruger. ) I use a 3 slot pancake holster .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I carry a P-89 IWB in a Don Hume 715 that I bought for my XD-40. The Ruger fits well in this holster, and is not that bad to conceal. I am a big guy though, 6 foot 245 lbs. My P-89 is the special edition that came with the Ruger factory hogue grips, that make the grip even wider than the standard version. People do carry guns as big or bigger than this one IWB. You just have to dress around the gun.

My very first handgun was a P-89DC, an excellent gun and I wish I still had it. I always carried mine either OWB or in a Bianchi vertical shoulder holster (X15 I think it was?), same as the one Chris owns for his P-95. Be aware though that the elastic strap on that particular shoulder holster tends to ride up on the neck, bunching shirts and pulling neck hair. It'll work for short periods of carry but there are much better options on the market.
    Jack

Links