Couple of homebrewed holsters (Warning: Lots of Pictures)

This is a discussion on Couple of homebrewed holsters (Warning: Lots of Pictures) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I spend the last couple of days to make some more holsters. Tried out different styles and colors and stuff... They are still not perfect, ...

Thread: Couple of homebrewed holsters (Warning: Lots of Pictures)

Formerly OKC, OK; Currently Karlsruhe, Germany

Couple of homebrewed holsters (Warning: Lots of Pictures)

I spend the last couple of days to make some more holsters. Tried out different styles and colors and stuff...

They are still not perfect, but i think i almost got the hang of it ;)

What do you think?

Pancake Glock19 natural

Walther P22 Holster Tan

P22 Magazine Holster Tan

P22 Pancake Brown

Glock 19 IWB Tan

Glock 19 Black

I need some blueguns and more molds to make diffent holsters

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am no holster maker but was involved in making some way back with a leather-worker buddy.

Looks like you are making good progress and I'll leave the holster guys to make expert comments.

My comments thus far (intended to be purely constructive crit') ...... You need some attention to edges - hard to see if they are edge shaved and dyed and then edge-brighted. The slots probably need custom punches so you get a cleaner finish.

Moulding is getting there but appears you need a bit more work on that.

The P22 pancake appears to have the slots in the ''wings'' too close to the main body - but could well be it still sits well.

Lots of potential for sure and don't be put off by my comments - they are honest and only to give one old guy's opinion from the pics Keep going!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I am not a holstermaker either but agree with Chris on the edges. I like the black Glock 19... very sober and nice!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

WHY? WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO MUCH?

Just kidding

Yeah, i defenitely need a good punch for the belt slots. That will be my next investment. I used a beveler to soften the edges, but i don't know... somehow i can't get the edges done the way i want them to be. Hm...

So far these holsters are just a hobby for me, i made about one holster every one or two weeks. I still have a Job and some things that require my attention too

Assistant Administrator
    I have to reiterate - no way wanting to blunt your enthusiasm ....... it takes time and patience to learn any craft, as well as being able to add tools etc to make it easier.

I did forget to add - as Miggy mentioned - I did rather like the simple elegance of the Glock 19 in black.

You mentioned beveller ........ my edge work always used a shaver - a narrow tool with a small slot - probably barely 1/16 wide - at base of which is a cutting edge. That actually removes a small shaving and so produces a chamfer . If you bevel with pressure it usually is hard to keep regular and not as crisp.

OK - over to the experts Do keep it up tho.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Awesome. Can you give a quick outline of materials and steps to do this at home? Thanks, HOLYROLLER.

P.S. Do you use the P22 as a carry piece? That would be an odd choice, could you please explain if thats the case? Thanx again.

Materials: Leather, Cutter, some tools :)... Seriously, go to tandyleather.com, look for a store near you and tell them what you want to do and they will tell you what you need. You can get a basic set of tools and materials for about $100...

I use the P22 as a plinker mostly. I just like to made a holster for it because it's hard to find a holster for it out there. Some people might carry it as a BUG or use it as "her" gun. And at least a caliber .22 is still better than no gun at all ;)

Mike

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I like the looped IWB design. It shows some real promise.

Try these tools:

edger
    slicker
    gum tragacanth

On the loops, carefully bevel them with a "sharp" utility knife. Always slick your single edges before you glue the panels together. Try a sander on the edges to shape them and even the panels before edging and slicking. Nice work.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I Am No Judge Of The Holster Craft...

Keep working on it...you've already done much more than I could have...I'm sure one could find great refuge in this kind of hobby...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    P.S. Do you use the P22 as a carry piece? That would be an odd choice, could you please explain if thats the case? Thanx again.
    Not to be morbid or to dark, but one of the VA tech shooter's guns was a Walther P22 if that would give you and idea of effectiveness. However I would not recommend it as a primary carry.

Awesome pics. I have to say I admire your leather because it is something that I cannot do. Then again, I do things with concrete that would make your jaw hit the floor .

Keep practicing. Looks like your off to a good start. One suggestion about getting different guns to make holster out of is to cast molds of different friends firearms rather than buying the blue guns. That is what my leather maker does whenever he gets a new model in that is not in his inventory. He will take the weapon and cast a mold of it, so when he is done the fake gun will stay in his inventory for future holsters. I think that is also how he is able to get such a tight fit, because he can form the leather around the fake gun rather than risk damaging a clients firearm.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

How do you make the molding for the firearm. I have a S&W 22a with a RedDot scope (obviously not my ccw) and I cannot for the life of me find a holster that will work with the scope. I figure I will just have to make my own.

Very wide variety of holsters there. Like Nate said the IWB looks very good and he has very good tips.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I agree with most comments here. You are on your way, but obviously an amateur/beginner. Take a look at some top holsters, such as Sparks, and then make your own assessment as to where your skill level stands at present.

Everyone has to start, and so do not take our comments as meant to discourage you, but you asked, and I assume you want an honest answer, and the answer for me is that you have a long way to go.

I think that most of the makers on these forums are willing to advise, but time is their problem.

Stay with it, and who knows you might be another Gary Brommeland.

When it gets down to it, assuming you are not trying to sell holsters at this point in time, if it holds the gun securely, is comfortable, stays put on the belt, and can be drawn easily even thought tight it will do the job. It might do you well. It might also be that using your holster will reveal what you need to change.
    Hang in there.

Regards,
    Jerry

Kante, I've also been making my own holsters for a long time. There is a few more tools I could recommend for those edges. Go back to Tandy and get a circle edge slicker, a bone folder, and edge beveler (not the smallest, but the next step up), and some beeswax (I never cared for the gum myself). My edge slicker has a nut and bolt through the middle and works well in a drill press.

Before you put the pieces together, bevel all the edges. After assembly, dye them black or dark brown, rub bees wax on them, and use the circle slicker. For the smaller edges, the end of the bone folder has grooves to use. The heat from friction melts the beeswax into the leather and gives it a nice finished feel.

The bone folder blade can also give some help in the molding process.

Hope this helps some!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Links