Position for IWB?

This is a discussion on Position for IWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Glock 'em down I'll just stick with my OWB holsters. I've worn 'em for years. If it ain't broke - don't fix ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Position for IWB?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I'll just stick with my OWB holsters. I've worn 'em for years.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!
    +1 That's why I continue to wear an IWB after all these years.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
    I have finally found a comfortable IWB holster for my compact 1911 (comp-tac c-tac). I am struggling with where to put it on my person that carries the best.

I tend to find that I like the holster at 1 or 2 o'clock (figuring my belly button is 12 o'clock) for the least print/ most comfortable.

Where do you carry? Thanks.
    Seth
    If wearing it appendix style is comfortable, good for you. With a lot of trial & error, I've come to wear mine at about 12:30. I can bend forward without printing, draw it while seated, & can wear tighter fitting & normal length shirts without it printing compared to IWB at 3:00-5:30 or so.

Evey body is different.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Your body has a perfect spot for hiding a pistol on the hollow of your back just behind your hip bone.

The exact spot varies for all, but for me it is at the 4:30. I line up the fwd clip on my CTAC with my trouser's side seam and the gun simply disappears visually and comfort-wise.

IWB...strong side...4:00 - 4:30
    Ditto, with a ~15* foward cant. With a holster that can tightly hold the butt of the gun into your side, and with a protective leather "sweat" flap, it can be highly comfortable. Anywhere else, like appendix or 3 o'clock, it just digs in, in all the wrong places.

Keep in mind, of course, that most holsters will react differently on a different person, based on body dimensions, tightness of clothing, the quality of belt you're using, whether that holster can remain tight enough in those conditions to pull the gun in close, etc.

YMMV. Which is why most folks seem to have dozens of holsters competing for space in the sock drawer. Ain't no free lunch. Try 'em on, if you can.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    IWB...strong side...4:00 - 4:30
    Ditto, with a ~15* foward cant. With a holster that can tightly hold the butt of the gun into your side, and with a protective leather "sweat" flap, it can be highly comfortable. Anywhere else, like appendix or 3 o'clock, it just digs in, in all the wrong places.

Keep in mind, of course, that most holsters will react differently on a different person, based on body dimensions, tightness of clothing, the quality of belt you're using, whether that holster can remain tight enough in those conditions to pull the gun in close, etc.

YMMV. Which is why most folks seem to have dozens of holsters competing for space in the sock drawer. Ain't no free lunch. Try 'em on, if you can.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I like around 3:30 with 15- 20 degrees cant and riding low. Most that I carry are 4.25" barrels or less. The 5" 1911 is do-able just not as comfortable as the shorter ones. Just past my hip bone and somewhere close to my back pocket just like reaching for my wallet. With a little bit more cant the grip positions for a easy grasp and the draw isn't as much upwards as it's more up and forward.

Depends on the gun, your body type and holster. I have some that works at 1 o'clock and most work at 3 to 4 o'clock.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I find Appendix carry is most comfortable. I use a Blade-Tech UCH for a full size Walther P99.

Just picked up a P99C which will ride at 1 O'Clock in a Fist #1 W/ body protector.

Drawing is a cinch from this location. Highly recommended
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

No...it's not the pants. It fit in the pants and hitched up with the belt just fine! It's when I got in the CAR that I decided that IWB is not for me!

And yes, I shifted it around EVERYWHERE - still sucked!
    I heard from someone that sometimes carrying while driving is dangerous, for the pure reason of getting into an accident.

What does everything think of this? Would it be better to take off the holster and put it right next to the seat?

Quote Originally Posted by RoysGTI View Post
    I heard from someone that sometimes carrying while driving is dangerous, for the pure reason of getting into an accident.

What does everything think of this? Would it be better to take off the holster and put it right next to the seat?
    Take off the holster? Are you crazy? It took an act of God for me to get that damned thing INSTALLED! I'll be damned if I'm gonna take it off and on! If I plan on taking my weapon on and off alot, I go with a paddle! Otherwise, when OFF duty, it's OWB/pancake for me.

IWB holsters are the work of SATAN!

Take off the holster? Are you crazy? It took an act of God for me to get that damned thing INSTALLED! I'll be damned if I'm gonna take it off and on! If I plan on taking my weapon on and off alot, I go with a paddle! Otherwise, when OFF duty, it's OWB/pancake for me.

IWB holsters are the work of SATAN!
    My IWB holster is on my waist, anywhere from 3:30-4:30 position. While I am driving, it is very difficult to get to my holster with my seatbelt going over it. Would it be better to slide it to maybe the 12:30 or 1:00 position while driving?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoysGTI View Post
    My IWB holster is on my waist, anywhere from 3:30-4:30 position. While I am driving, it is very difficult to get to my holster with my seatbelt going over it. Would it be better to slide it to maybe the 12:30 or 1:00 position while driving?
    You can change it to appendix (12:30-1:30 or so). But if you can appendix carry while seated, why not just carry like that all the time? If you can change the cant, you can scoot it back a little (With more cant), or put it at 11:00 or so & reverse cant it (Crossdraw).

I've never heard of someone getting in an accident because they're carrying while driving. That doesn't mean it's not true, just haven't heard of it.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I'm all about 4-4:30. It makes it easier for me to sit with it on.

VIP Member
    To the driving portion - IMO, it is better to have the pistol secured to the body during a crash rather than loose in the cabin of the vehicle. Of course, this assumes that the seat belt is being worn properly and isn't going to drive the gun into your body, but I'd rather have MORE control over it than LESS.

Not that this applies very often (OK, almost never), but there was evidence that one or more of the Special Agents involved in the FBI Miami shootout lost control of their pistols during the relatively low-speed crash that prefaced the shootout. In this case, the pistols were out, either in hand or otherwise less than secured, and they were thrown to the floor. Just one more wrinkle to ponder...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    If you can get used to 3:00 or later, you are at a much better tactical advantage since it keeps the gun away from your assailant in a close up situation......a simple step back on the same side foot give you distance and protection of your gun...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links