IWB Holster for S&W 642 .38

This is a discussion on IWB Holster for S&W 642 .38 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would appreciate any help on a good IWB holster for my J-frame snubbie. I want to carry in the small of back, drawing with left ...

Thread: IWB Holster for S&W 642 .38

IWB Holster for S&W 642 .38

Would appreciate any help on a good IWB holster for my J-frame snubbie. I want to carry in the small of back, drawing with left hand.
    Prefer leather. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Whatever you decide on, make sure it isn't a clip on....I use a clip on with mine but I carry at 3:30 over a belt and have no issues with the holster coming out with the gun, but with SOB, sitting down may cause it to pop out of your pants...

Not True...

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    Whatever you decide on, make sure it isn't a clip on....I use a clip on with mine but I carry at 3:30 over a belt and have no issues with the holster coming out with the gun, but with SOB, sitting down may cause it to pop out of your pants...
    with a Fist, Inc...#41 SOB (with a clip)...as with all their clips...you can't pull the holster out with BOTH hands...it will not budge unless you release the clip by pulling it out from the pants/belt...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My MIKA POCKET HOLSTER carries my M642. Fast draw, secure carry and not expensive at all!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    My MIKA POCKET HOLSTER carries my M642. Fast draw, secure carry and not expensive at all!
    +1 on the Mika. It stays in your pocket when you draw, and does not print.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zipper19 View Post
    Would appreciate any help on a good IWB holster for my J-frame snubbie.

VIP Member
    Why the small of your back. I believe many on here will discourage that method of carry. I ordered a "Tucker cover up for J frame" for my 642. I havent got it yet, but it has been highly reccomended.

I don't carry a J-Frame IWB. To me the gun is designed to go in a Pocket or on the Ankle.

If you absolutely "must" go IWB with a J-Frame I would look at carrying in the "Appendix" Position. Mitch Rosen makes one called the "Workman" that is good for deep concealment, no jacket needed. It's a "Tuckable".

Biker

I have to agree with using a MIKA POCKET HOLSTER with the S&W642 . I carry the 642CT everyday and I can say it's a pure pleasure to carry in a MIKA

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    +1 again for the Mica. I own one and love it. Works great and cheap.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Pocket carry for a J-frame is very popular & quick if you need it. You might not be able to get it while seated, but a SOB carry could be a problem, too.

The gun's small enough that it should carry just about anywhere. Crossdraw, appendix, hip side, or just behind the hip.

If you're set on SOB, you can check holster maker's sites & see it they make one for the 642. You can also have a custom maker (Many on this forum, I might add), make a holster with an extreme cant.

Good luck, & welcome to the forum.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Kat
    + + on the Mika. He also makes an IWB, similar to the pocket holster, but with a clip.
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

VIP Member
    I've carried a 642 IWB for about 6 months now. Its my prefered method of carry. While its comfortable to pocket carry, I find when I practice drawing the gun its hard to get a full grip on the grip of the gun . I have to grab it kinda loosely, pull it out and then grip it better. In a stressfull situation, seems it would be easy to drop. Just my experience. IWB seems the way to go.

I've started carrying my J Frame in a Concealco IWB more often. Great holster.

For information on getting your CCW License in California please visit CalCCW.

Actually....

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I've carried a 642 IWB for about 6 months now. Its my prefered method of carry. While its comfortable to pocket carry, I find when I practice drawing the gun its hard to get a full grip on the grip of the gun . I have to grab it kinda loosely, pull it out and then grip it better. In a stressfull situation, seems it would be easy to drop. Just my experience. IWB seems the way to go.
    I agree that the grip on a 642 when carried in a pocket is a little bit tenuous on the draw. But I carry it in a pocket holster by Mika for sheer comfort in not having to wear a cover garment in the sweltering heat of South Florida. The 642 is a poin t blank weapon good for reaction to a close quarters street confrontation suddenly presented. Fired from the hip, point style, it'd be a sure shot connection at no more than 15 feet and the group is going to be big.

If I decide I'm going to carry something more serious I'll carry a bigger, heavier "something serious" IWB, with a cover garment.

That gets to be a drag where I am. I offset the problems you mention with practice. LOTS of practice.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links