Gym Carry

Gym Carry

This is a discussion on Gym Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the last three months my wife and I have been going to the gym about 4 nights a week, which has left me unarmed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym Carry

Gym Carry

For the last three months my wife and I have been going to the gym about 4 nights a week, which has left me unarmed for those times. Due to my clothing, I don't feel comfortable pocket carrying (it will fall out) and I don't know what I would do with the gun while at the gym. I could leave it in the car, but frankly the parking lot is where I would find myself most likely to need it. This has left me with two questions to pose to the group:

1. What fanny pack (you don't know how much it pains me to be asking about something as ugly as a fanny pack) would you recommend for a J-frame 2" snubbie?

2. Would you feel comfortable leaving your firearm in a locked gym locker while you work out? (Note: there is a lot of traffic in the locker room, which makes me feel better about someone not having time to cut the lock)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    If it were me, I'd consider a keltec p32 or p380, with a clip, IWB or on a neck chain or similar. I'd be wary about leaving any firearm in a locker room. Are you assigned a locker that is "yours" so long as you are a member? If so, maybe you can mount a lockbox or safe inside it. Otherwise, make sure you use a damn good lock (not a master combination lock, too easily hacked).

Aside from the belt clip ( not the best, as the trigger is exposed )
    you might also consider the SMART CARRY. Should work fine with your gym clothes.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    When I work out in a public gym (not the one in my agency) I use an old UC Comfrot t-shirt rig with a smaller gun, like my Kahr or a snub nose j-frame. I have to clean the weapon afterwards as the sweat gets into itty bitty places, but it works. I do physical therapy three days a week now for recovery, and the rig allows for running (30 min) push ups, weight lifting, pull ups, and any other dasterdly pain inflecting exercise they can think of. Noone has noticed I'm packing and many have commented that they are suprised that because of my work that I wasnt.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

A holster shirt like NRA's 5.11 might work well for you. I use one for carry, and as long as you are using it to carry the snubbie, it should easily conceal under a t-shirt. Downside is it might be a little uncomfortable, but not too bad. It is pretty breathable, except in the 'holster' areas.

What about keeping it in a small gym bag which you can keep in sight? Maybe stick a water bottle and towel in the gym bag, otherwise people might wonder why you are keeping a gym bag nearby.

Fanny pack is probably the only other option. I am considering getting one for myself. I have recently taken up trail-running, and while running with my Glock in my Galco shoulder holster isn't terrible, it isn't optimal. Definitely won't be an option when the weather gets warmer and drier (I wear under a light gore-tex jacket now). Hopefully a fanny pack will be more comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    My opinions on the 5.11 and ABetterHolster rigs have been stated before. For workout the one thing that will stand out is that they both have sleves and have regular crew necks. Now these will show out from under your workout t-shirt. You can cut them off but my UC Comforts are v-necked and sleveless.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    I use a belly band at the gym. Sadly, some unsavory characters hang out at the place, so going unarmed is out of the question. Probably about the roughest place I ever go.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

In my gym we use our own locks so some one would have to go into the locker room with a pair of bolt cutters to break in. There would be less of a chance of getting caught breaking into my house then trying to tear into a locker. Course there has been a couple cars broken into at the gyms parking lot. So I think a locked locker is safer.

+1 on the belly band, great even for those of us with larger bellies...
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

I appreciate all of the suggestions, but I am not going to be able to wear my gun while I work out. I don't see anyway I won't get made. Also, I really don't want to have it on me then. I guess I am looking for something that could be removed without it being obvious that I am taking off a gun. Secondly, I am interested in people's opinion on how responsible it would be to leave a weapon in a locked locker in a public locker room. (I feel the same as 'balin', but am interested in other opinions)

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by koolguynet View Post
    I appreciate all of the suggestions, but I am not going to be able to wear my gun while I work out. I don't see anyway I won't get made. Also, I really don't want to have it on me then. I guess I am looking for something that could be removed without it being obvious that I am taking off a gun. Secondly, I am interested in people's opinion on how responsible it would be to leave a weapon in a locked locker in a public locker room. (I feel the same as 'balin', but am interested in other opinions)
    You might consider going straight to a stall in the bathroom to move your gun to your gym bag. Do the same thing on the way out.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by balin View Post
    In my gym we use our own locks so some one would have to go into the locker room with a pair of bolt cutters to break in. There would be less of a chance of getting caught breaking into my house then trying to tear into a locker. Course there has been a couple cars broken into at the gyms parking lot. So I think a locked locker is safer.
    +1. that's how i see it as well.
    What's this button do?

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Or join one of those toddler gymborees...I work out at one all the time..not only do I feel safe without my gun, I can outlift most of the kids and it makes me feel good about myself.

I really like my Safepacker from www.thewilderness.com.
    It does not print, doesn't look like a holster or gun fannypack and you can get a strap to carry it around your neck. It even has a handle so, you can keep it with you anywhere in the gym. Noone has EVER asked me what it is. Great for this kind of situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links