Belt with a J-frame?

Belt with a J-frame?

This is a discussion on Belt with a J-frame? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm strongly considering picking up a J-frame for carry duty and want the option to carry it IWB if I choose to do so. My ...

Thread: Belt with a J-frame?

Belt with a J-frame?

I'm strongly considering picking up a J-frame for carry duty and want the option to carry it IWB if I choose to do so. My questions is whether I would need a gun belt if I were to buy an Airweight/Airlite revolver or if a casual dress belt should be able to handle the roughly 1 pound of the revolver plus that of a leather holster on its own. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Believe it or not, you need a gun belt. I've tried carrying an Airweight in a IWB kydex holster with a dress belt (even the widest ones I can find) and it still sucks.

I figured that was the case but wanted to make sure. I have money for a belt budgeted in to my carry fund as of now. Now I just need to rent the S&W 340 to see how well I can handle it.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    I have 2 sturdy gun belts...an Alessi 1 1/2" and a Wilderness 1 1/2", both of which serve me well with my heavier guns...but for my airweight J, I use a 10 dollar dickies 1 1/4 inch from Walmart for IWB with my airweight and it works fine...it is a bit stiffer than a regular dress belt.

I uses a titanium taurus m85 snubby for my work and carry IWB. Dress belt just cant hold the weight after a while. It constantly give me a feeling of the pant droping.

Thus last nite, i become the first customer for Beltmen in my country Singapore. This 3 waiting week will be a torture for me, like a kid waiting for his new toy!

Highly recommended Beltmen!

Quote Originally Posted by khimwoon View Post
    I uses a titanium taurus m85 snubby for my work and carry IWB. Dress belt just cant hold the weight after a while. It constantly give me a feeling of the pant droping.

Thus last nite, i become the first customer for Beltmen in my country Singapore. This 3 waiting week will be a torture for me, like a kid waiting for his new toy!

Highly recommended Beltmen!
    I had previously owned a belt from the Beltman but sold it as I didn't believe that I would actually carry a concealed firearm. However, after the senseless killings at Virginia Tech, I realized just how random an act such as this can be and am now assembling the necessary carry gear. When I had ordered my previous Beltman belt, it took either 9 or 10 days for it to show up. I'm guessing yours might take the full 3 weeks due to the fact that you are located in Singapore.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    If you must wear a non-gun belt, this is the only one I have found to be satisfactory.

Not as good as a dedicated belt, but good enough.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    A snubby for "duty" carry? What kind of duty allows for a j-frame now days? Ooops scratch all of that. You said "carry duty" and I read "duty carry". Gee and to think I have reading glasses just cant see to find them.

Oh and yes get a decent gun belt....reason so is that no only will you be packing the pistol, but also speed loaders on the belt unless you really believe 5 shots will do it for you.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    A snubby for "duty" carry? What kind of duty allows for a j-frame now days? Ooops scratch all of that. You said "carry duty" and I read "duty carry". Gee and to think I have reading glasses just cant see to find them.

Oh and yes get a decent gun belt....reason so is that no only will you be packing the pistol, but also speed loaders on the belt unless you really believe 5 shots will do it for you.
    To paraphrase a quote I've heard many times and to fit it to this response: "5 shots from the gun I have on me are better than the <insert number larger than 5 here> shots from the gun I left at home."

I will only be picking up the J-frame if I feel I can shoot it accurately and handle the recoil well enough. Then come the reload drills.

I've carried a J-frame for as long as I've been in law enforcement (dang its over 20 years so I officially feel old). My S&W is the only pistol I have that has a laser sight on it (CTC Laser Grips) and a very sweet Renegade ankle rig that has lasted over 15 years and is still worn. I dont truly feel comfortable with that as my only gun, but on many an occasion it has been the weapon I carried for personnal defense, but usually as a back-up weapon. My accuracy is good enough to qualify in the high 200's (out of 300 possible) and even better with the laser grips. My favorite recommendation to folks who want a CCW but either havent or wont train with their weapon enough to be compitent with a semi-auto (way to many people wouldnt know what to do if they has a failure to fire and even if they did know, havent practiced it or reloads), is a S&W 442 with CTC Laser Grips. Now that gives you five 38 +P JHPs and a reasonably quick reload with a speed loader or a speed strip.

Last week we priced a S&W 442 at Sportsmans Warehouse for $350 so that plus $15 for two speedloaders and $35 for a Renegade ankle rig and your ready. I think Bianchi Speedstrips cost about $6 for two.

Good luck and have fun.
    Steve

As I said, I'll only go with the J-frame if I feel that I can shoot it well and be proficient with it. If I don't feel that I can place shots accurately, I might as well just throw the gun at someone rather than miss my attacker and hit an innocent bystander. I don't want to have a concealed firearm just for the sake of having it; I want it so that I can effectively protect myself or whoever happens to be with me at the time.

fed_wif_a_sig, I respect your advice and will take it seriously as you obviously have quite a bit of experience behind you. That is the main reason that I joined this forum, as I would like to learn as much as possible from someone who's been there and done that rather than strike out on my own and acquire bad habits due to lack of any better knowledge. I welcome any other bits of wisdom you care to discuss.

Hang around....they havent gagged me yet, LOL.
    Steve

In singapore, its very rare to have case that involve firearm. Thus for us its pretty enough to have a revolver as a duty gun.

Owning a weapon illegally can see yourself with a 7 years jail term while shooting a weapon can get you for life and best of all, shooting with intend to hurt will get u hanged!

For this reason, we can't easily get any good custom made gear like states. This part i really envy your guys, being able to own customs made 1911 etc. But think of the good side, due to the extremely tough law we had, its pretty safe in Singapore.

Hang around....they havent gagged me yet, LOL.
    I think the only reason it hasn't happened yet is because everyone's afraid of the double tap to the chest that's waiting for all those that attempt it.

Links