IWB Choice: Leather or Plastic? - Page 2

IWB Choice: Leather or Plastic?

This is a discussion on IWB Choice: Leather or Plastic? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can endorse the Andrews Mc Daniel II with the slide shield, a very well made & comfortable holster. You can easily adjust the carry ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I can endorse the Andrews Mc Daniel II with the slide shield, a very well made & comfortable holster. You can easily adjust the carry angle ( cant ) It is smooth lined, so your gun easily slides in and out, well fitted to your gun, high quality workmanship. I have one for my Kahr K40, love it. The Mc D Crossdraw offers the option to also use the holster in the cross draw position, it has two mounting positions for the belt loop.

I prefer leather to Kydex, just feels more comfortable to me

Sam Andrews is good guy to work with.

I carry a G19 in a CompTac C-Tac. I just got this belt TODAY from The Beltman and love it. It is 1 1/2 in. with a taper to 1 1/4 in at the buckle. It also is lined with velcor for my V-clips. My G19 is completely concealed, even in this tucked white dress shirt. I could not be happier with this rig!
    Attached Images
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    My build allows me to wear a J frame in a CTAC all day long (including 2 1/2 hr car rides) without discomfort.

I also don't find it too uncomfortable against my skin. The flexible leather tabs that connect the clips to the holster allow it to form to the curve of the body, and the rigid part is what encases the equally rigid gun. So I can't see how a similarly constructed leather holster could be more comfortable.

Kydex is thinner and always allows one handed reholstering. Importantly, Kydex allows lightning fast draws with excellent retention. A leather holster that would allow Kydex's draw speed would have almost zero retention.

Leather. Plastic is to hard and does not mold to your body.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

thats a easy one leather

I carry my Glock 23 in the best of both worlds: the "Answer" by Tucker Gunleather. It's all leather against your body, but with a kydex receiver that preserves fast draw and reholstering ability.

IMO, leather every time, any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Why? Fit, comfort, performance. While some of the plastic gear these days does have certain tempting features, the basics don't change. Retention, holding tightly into the body, resistance to shifting, ability to wear it all day long without discomfort, avoiding damage to the firearm, customized fit (with many artisans), durability ... each of these is a hallmark feature of top leather holsters. Kydex and other composite materials offer some different features, but at what expense? Some feel the benefits are worth the costs. I don't, but that's just me. I'd prefer few costs, that regard.

I've had comparatively few carry weapons, though I've tried several holsters. The following is what I ultimately carried/carry on my person, despite going through several alternatives with each gun:
    • CZ P01 9mm semi-auto pistol:
      • Fist #17A IWB -- Excellent fit, excellent performance, decent comfort, strong/simple design. Only flaw is that one of the snaps has a tendency to come undone ~10% of the time (defective snap, likely, though replacement will fix). This one goes everywhere the pistol does.
      • K&D Laredo Defender -- Excellent fit, decent performance, decent comfort, elegant design. Squeaks a bit, and can't seem to get rid of that (talcum, leather conditioner, others). Good holster, but I find myself back to the #17A each time.
    • S&W 442 Airweight .38spl revolver:
      • Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy (pocket carry) -- Excellent fit, exceptional performance, exceptional comfort, excellent coverage of the gun and trigger area, strong/simple design, always remained in pocket during draw. The best holster I've ever owned, bar none.
      • Never needed to seek out alternatives, as the Pocket Softy was perfect.
    • Browning BDM 9mm semi-auto pistol:
      • Fist #2 OWB -- Excellent fit, decent performance, exceptional comfort. The loops shift a bit, and they don't hold the gun as tightly against the body as I'd prefer, as though the loops are a tad too long.
      • Blade Tech kydex -- Excellent fit, basic performance, poor comfort, somewhat damaging to finish of the gun. Pass.
    • KelTec P3AT .380ACP semi-auto pistol:
      • DeSantis Nemesis -- Poor fit, basic performance, excellent comfort, excellent concealability. Allows shifting of the gun in the pocket; allows shifting of the gun in the holster. Gun disappears in this holster. A poor design, but it's simple and comfortable. This is the one I find myself using on a daily basis.
      • K&D Pocket Defender -- Tight fit that needs breaking in, good comfort, excellent concealability. Extremely stiff, which means the holster pulls out with the holster about 3/4 of the time, though the holster still needs some breaking in to loosen up (gun in wax paper for a week didn't do it). Until this changes, I won't carry it.
      • Pale Horse K-Rat -- Tight fit, good comfort, shifts around in the pocket and allows pistol to turn "turtle" 100% of the time. Stiff and unforgiving on the pistol's finish. Doesn't "cradle" the pistol like leather; is much more like Kydex in this regard.
      • Mika pocket holster -- Good fit, good comfort, shifts around in the pocket. To be fair, though, tighter-fitting pants [ie, jeans] would match this unit very well, I think. My pockets are simply too large and roomy to afford a solid fit in the pocket.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 28th, 2007 at 10:18 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I personally believe that IWB holsters of ANY MATERIAL are the work of Satan! I have NEVER found one that I like. But then again...it's not the holster, actually...it's my big ol' carcass! Fat boys just have a problem with IWB's...well...THIS fat boy does! However...If you want/need an IWB, I would say LEATHER! Your kiester will thank you!

I have only used a CTAC for both my G19 and P229, and while they are decently comfortable, I wouldn't mind trying out some leather. The CTAC holds and draws perfectly, and their customer service is awesome.

I put mole skin on the inside top area of the holsters which makes them smoother to the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    [*]KelTec P3AT .380ACP semi-auto pistol:
    • K&D Pocket Defender -- Tight fit that needs breaking in, good comfort, excellent concealability. Extremely stiff, which means the holster pulls out with the holster about 3/4 of the time, though the holster still needs some breaking in to loosen up (gun in wax paper for a week didn't do it). Until this changes, I won't carry it.

I wax papered mine overnight and it worked like a charm. Draws smoothly now out of jeans pockets, catching the curve on the pocket rear. Maybe that one wrap of wax paper wasn't thick enough?

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Wow, is kydex an option? I always use Uncle Mike's IWBs, and I love them!
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    I wax papered mine [K&D Pocket Defender] overnight and it worked like a charm.
    I'd love to solve it, since it's such a nice holster.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"YMMV as anyone seriously trained with leather could probably outdraw me and my Comp Tacs."

Does anyone know what YMMV means?

Quote Originally Posted by RM686 View Post
    Does anyone know what YMMV means?
    Your Mileage May Vary.

Thanks Blackegal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links