Windy Days - Now I know how the ladies feel

This is a discussion on Windy Days - Now I know how the ladies feel within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have only been carrying for about a week since I just recieved my license. I have been carrying IWB of my jeans, and an ...

Thread: Windy Days - Now I know how the ladies feel

I have only been carrying for about a week since I just recieved my license. I have been carrying IWB of my jeans, and an untucked polo shirt, which is not a change in how I used to dress before I got my CHL. No one I work or play with has made me yet. Normally, my shirt(s) hang to just below the mouth of my front pockets, so even raising my arms above my head won't expose any part of the rig.

Yesterday I was just wearing a black T-Shirt, whose hem wasn't quite as low, but was a size larger than I usually wear, so I checked the mirror, and ran out of the house in my usual hurry.

Due to extremely poor planning, I ran out of gas in the middle of the afternoon! I was condition white, worrying about several job related stresses, and didn't pay attention to my gas gauge!

So I pulled into an I-Hop Parking lot, and walked 2 blocks along a super-high traffic area and across a highway overpass , to an AutoZone, then to a gas station. It was a very windy day. The whole walk, I had to hold my shirt down because the wind kept blowing my shirt up! (Now I know how the ladies in miniskirts feel.)

Did I mention the gas can was on the very top shelf at the Auto Zone? My CCW was again exposed when I reached both hands over my head to get it!

Thinking ahead of myself, I was worried about how I was going to carry a heavy gas can in one hand, and make sure my CCW was not exposed with the other, and run across a bunch of traffic. Not my idea of a good time!

I must have been living right, because as I was filling up the gas can, there was a taxicab filling up at the next pump. He happily drove me and my gas can over to my truck, without even turning on the meter. I tipped him generously, filled my truck, and drove straight home to throw on another, longer shirt on top of my T-Shirt!

If I had stuck to the 6P's*, I would have been okay, but I was oblivious to the gas gauge and didn't take the time to properly check if I could stay concealed in that shirt.

Lesson learned!

*Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

You have experienced the "weight" of carrying concealed. Sounds like you handled it well. Running out fuel happens sometimes.

Senior Moderator
    This is what I refer to as "bad" carry days.

I had one not long ago where I wore my Kimber on a skirt with no belt loops and very little support.

For eight hours I suffered with the skirt digging PAINFULLY into my side and stomach, awkward positions, the holster and therefore gun unstably moving on my waist. I was in agony.

We all learn.. sometimes the hard way and I think we all have our days when our carrying is nothing more than a pain.

I like to think of it as a welcome burden, however.

I know you carry using an untucked polo shirt rather than a button-up style shirt, but this might be of interest to you, anyway.

I usually wear a tucked in t-shirt under an untucked and unbuttoned over shirt while carrying. In order to help minimize the wind blowing my shirt open, I’ve sewn two nickels into each side of the hem of the shirt next to the front opening. This helps keep the shirt from blowing open so easily and also helps me flick the shirt out of the way when I draw.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Might I suggest what I use which is a Tucker Gunleather Tuckable IWB holster. You can leave the shirt out or on occasions like windy days tuck it over the holster for better concealment.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links