Planning for surgery

Planning for surgery

This is a discussion on Planning for surgery within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gents and Ladies... In a couple of weeks I'll be having surgery on my right elbow (shootin' arm!) and I'll have to accomodate my carry ...

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar

Planning for surgery

Gents and Ladies...

In a couple of weeks I'll be having surgery on my right elbow (shootin' arm!) and I'll have to accomodate my carry method for about 12 weeks.

Primarily, I'll have to rely on my weak side for carry/shooting. I'm not looking forward to this, but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Instinct tells me that I need to step down from the 3" .45 I now carry to a lesser caliber that would be more manageable for my weak side.

Any thoughts on carry methods?
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

No advice other than whatever you decide on make sure you practice lots with the new method.
    Good luck.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you have a pocket gun, like a J-frame, you can carry that in you weak side front pocket. I think drawing from the pocket will be easier to learn quickly & to do quickly.

It's an easy motion to do with your weak hand. So, all you really have to do is practice shooting with your weak hand, & I'm assuming you'll be shooting with one hand, too. At least for awhile.

Now, do you have a gun that'll fit in your pocket?

Oh yeah, hope the surgery is successful & you recover quickly.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

kpw
    After having my shooting arm in a cast twice in the last 10 years, I agree with the pocket carry J-frame when you can. A off side (lefty for me) belt slide with no thumbreak is a good way to go, too. I carried a G26 on the belt or a S&W 442 in a pocket during that time and practiced a lot. I wanted something that was point and shoot with no manual safety. Btw, the hardest part of being one handed was bathroom duties. Try to do your business before you leave the house. Nothing worse than standing next to the restroom door and waving your wife over to help "do you up" when in public.

Maybe instead of going to a smaller caliber, just go to a bigger gun in the same caliber. Stick with familiar controls, just do it with something that is a little easier to manipulate. Just make sure it's ambidextrous and practice practice practice.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I am about done with my rehab from shoulder surgery in December. I faced the same decision and spent a month training with single hand shooting and reloading. My only caution about using your 1911 is that you'd better make sure you have an off side safety release because releasing one with your off hand isnt that easy and under stress is much harder.

Just concentrate your shooting with your off hand and you'll soon find it isnt all that hard. Only problem you have to watch our for is during physical therapy, make sure to work both of your arms or you'll find one much bigger than the other, LOL.

Have fun and enjoy the drugs (meds), heck they're legal and paid for.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Senior Moderator
    Every time I have ever tried to operate my gun with my weak hand the hardest thing to get over is not the operation or the actual shooting, in honesty, it's just the awkward feel that it's just in the wrong hand.

My eye goes where it needs to go, my sights line up nice, my fingers do all of the right moving and I can operate every part of my gun just fine (though I could practice more to make it a little faster) but sometimes just getting one good solid and comfortable grip is the hardest thing for me to conquer. So, I started just playing with it with my weak hand.

Watching TV with it empty in my lap and fingering it and holding it and working it with my left hand. Training my brain to accept it just as readily in my left hand as in my right.

That's my only suggestion.

Nothing much to add for carry method but I certainly hope your surgery goes well and is successful. Good luck and let us know.

Cubital Tunnel Syndrome?
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Administrator
    Good luck on the surgery. Hope that all goes well.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Good luck on the surgery.

Get a left handed holster for your 3" 1911 and use it. This will be a great opportunity to practice weak hand shooting. If you are concerned about moving your cover garment to get to the gun then a pocket holster for a J-frame or Kel-tec P3AT or PF9 would be a really good choice.

Also think how you will change mags with reduced capability in your right hand. It will give you a new perspective on protecting yourself while injured in a fight.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I hope it goes well for you!

Good luck with the surgery. I hope the surgeon remembers to wash his/her hands before cutting.

This is one of the many reasons that I shoot with both hands. I also carry at least two guns, one always accessable to the "off hand". I second the idea of a J-Frame in the weak side pocket.

You will most likely not be able to draw as fast as you can with your strong arm, so having a gun in your pocket can bring you back up to speed. The advantage of a J-Frame in the pocket is, it's a very natural posture to walk around with your hand in your pocket.

The fastest draw is a gun in hand. Think about it. You can walk around with your hand on your gun and nobody the wiser.

Biker

Links