Defensive Carry banner

Securing Pistol in a Car

11K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  OfClanMcnab 
#1 ·
I'm going to begin keeping a gun in my car at all times and have decided that probably the best place to keep it in my particular vehicle is the map pocket that's part of my driver side door. Does anyone else keep it there and if so, what type of holster/contraption do you use to 1.) Secure it in place and 2.) Conceal it from open view?

Thanks in advance...

#3 ·
Considering my neighborhood, I've never felt comfortable leaving a gun in my car - I'm not really comfortable with leaving it in my car while I run into an off limits location for that matter. I figure the only time my weapons are truly secure is when their under my control. The idea of some punk breaking into my car and stealing my gun doesn't sit well with me.

I lived in a small rural town before moving to Nashville. If I were still living there I might be more tempted to keep a gun in my car 24/7, guess it just depends on where you live.
Jack

#4 ·
+1 on the Center of Mass car safes. I just ordered 2 a couple days ago. I hate when I have to leave my gun in my car for even 5 minutes. The thought of someone breaking in my car is always on my mind. If you have to leave it in the car, get a car safe. You dont want to be responsible for what happens with that gun after its stolen.
It sounds like you plan on literally leaving it in the car at all times, day and night. If so, what if someone stole your car? I assume you'd leave the gun loaded? I'd re-think this plan.

#10 ·
I have a Large One...

I keep it in a hard to find place in my vehicle. Don't need it often, but it is a good feeling that someone may get into my car and probably not find a weapon.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#5 ·
I keep my gun in a locking glove compartment when I'm not carrying (at work or in church). Besides locking my gun in the glove, I also take the faceplate off my radio and make sure I don't have anything valuable in plain sight (ie DVDs, large CD cases, etc.). If someone still wants to break into my old 1996 sedan, they probably won't take the time to use a crowbar on my locked glove compartment. The only clue that there might be a gun in the car is my NRA sticker.

If you don't have a locking glove compartment (or center console), get one of the CoM safes. Whatever you do, make sure you don't have a reason for people to break into your car and rifle through your things. The best way to prevent a break-in is to remove the incentive. Of course, if you have a nice car that a thief would want to boost, even a CoM safe or locking glove box won't do you any good.

As far as your question regarding carrying the gun in your map pocket, that is a good place to keep it while you are in the car. I used that exact same spot before I got my CC (MO allows a concealed, loaded handgun in the car). I never had any special holster or rig, though. I just positioned the gun so it was behind a map and out of sight when I opened the door, but easy to get a good grip if I reached for it.

#12 ·
I heard a short news bit the other morning about some guy who had his truck stolen. He had a booth at the NRA convention, selling Sharps rifles, and on his way back home (I think to Montana or WY), he stopped in Kansas City, KS to visit the Cabelas on 435. He spent the night at a motel near the Cabelas and during the night somebody stole his truck (a nice big F-350 or something like that). Along with the truck they got a dozen or so Sharps rifles, a custom-built showcase, credit card numbers, and a pistol. IMO, the worst part of this story is not the loss of over $200,000 of goods, but the theft of the pistol. That gun can now be used to murder someone or rob someone. Insurance will pay for the lost goods, but State Farm can't protect someone from being victimized with that gun. Hopefully the police catch whoever did this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.