High Riding OWB Holster

High Riding OWB Holster

This is a discussion on High Riding OWB Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a good OWB holster for a Kimber Tactical Pro II. I'm looking for a holster that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Riding OWB Holster

High Riding OWB Holster

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a good OWB holster for a Kimber Tactical Pro II. I'm looking for a holster that I can wear under a un-tucked shirt so I guess it needs to be high riding so the barrel doesn't stick out and I would like for it to have a forward tilt if possible. I don't have a lot of experience with these types of holsters and wanted to get ya'lls thoughts. Thanks!

I like my Galco paddle holster. It rides pretty high - the bottom of the holster is maybe 2 - 3 inches below my belt. I can wear it under t-shirts and it doesn't stick out. The holster also has the ability to cant via a screw on the back. You simply loosen the screw, tilt the holster, and then tighten the screw. It locks into that angle and can't slip because there is a kind of toothed cog that keeps it in place. Hard to describe but it works great. See my avatar for a picture of this holster.

Kramer horsehide belt scabbard

I have a Kimber Pro and generally use this Kramer horsehide belt scabbard, an OWB pancake holster that rides pretty high and cants the gun at a good angle.

Using a high ride OWB requires a very stiff belt and holster combination, as the weight of the gun tends to cause the grip to tip outward away from your side, causing printing on your cover garments. The higher the gun relative to your belt, the more you will see this effect. One solution is a horsehide holster, as shown below, which is very stiff and resists tipping quite well. And you also need a thick, stiff belt that is cinched firmly around your middle and which fits the holster slots perfectly. So there is such a thing as "too high", and you might have to compromise a bit.

I have the Mitch Rosen UPL-EXP, which is the vertical high ride holster in his express line. This means that you will get it quicker and it is half the price of his regular line. It is the same leather, but with less hand boning. It is excellent quality made by one of the best at an affordable price. I highly recommend it.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

email sent

I got a Galco "Concealable" that I just absolutely LOVE! Rides high enough for me, good tilt, smooth draw.

I have had a "Sky High" from www.highnoonholsters.com for over a year now and like it a lot.
    It's cofortable , built very well and looks great.
    A word of caution though, it rides high, for sure ,but with any o.w.b. holster, you still need the right belt and coat or vest, and you still need to be aware of your body movements and where your garmant is.

I carry I.w.B , 75% of the time .

another tip: wichever brand you choose , call the company to get an e.t.a. on the holster, there are a lot of three five and 8 week wait times , out there.

I was looking for the same things in a holster and found the Garrity Stead-Fast seemed to fit the bill. Unfortunately, it's going to be a looong wait to get it...so I can't give you any first-hand experience.

www.garritysgunleather.com
    Last edited by AgentX; May 3rd, 2007 at 10:13 PM.

Afterthought - Mernickle

One of the highest riding OWB holsters I have seen is the Mernickle PS6 series of holsters. These are reinforced internally with a steel piece to keep the gun upright and prevent tipping. Mernickle is located in Fernley, Nevada. Notice in the photo below how high the gun, a full size 1911, sits relative to the belt.

Mernickle PS6 holsters

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Dang it Pogo2....and I just spent the past five minutes searching the house for Mernickle's website and info.

I have one and it is a HIGH ride holster, and rides close to the body. You'd better be limber as it rides real high.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I recently purchased and have used now a couple of times Mitch Rosen's Upper Limit (Express). I was looking for the most high riding OWB holster I could find. So far, I like it very much. Order from the Express line and the cost is $75. Notice that the belt loops are as far down as you could possibly go.

The UPPER LIMIT is a straight-drop belt holster with a high-ride feature. It is positioned to ride as high as possible, while keeping the butt of the weapon tucked against the body and the muzzle off the hip. Worn at the side or slightly forward of the hip, the Upper Limit is also suitable for cross-draw use. A very versatile, comfortable and fast holster.
    Last edited by LockNLoad; May 4th, 2007 at 02:27 PM.

Oh, yeah, FIST Inc has a very high-ride Kydex model as well.

I use a horsehide Kramer Belt Scabbard with my XD-9 for OWB.

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=24

Its a great high ride, forward cant leather holster. Its very thin and stiff for a leather holster almost as thin and stiff as kydex.

Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-2 Graduate X2
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-4 Graduate X2

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    One of the highest riding OWB holsters I have seen is the Mernickle PS6 series of holsters. These are reinforced internally with a steel piece to keep the gun upright and prevent tipping. Mernickle is located in Fernley, Nevada. Notice in the photo below how high the gun, a full size 1911, sits relative to the belt.

Mernickle PS6 holsters
    +1
    This is the highest riding of the "Caddilac" holsters. It is REALLY high. Just be sure you order it lined and reinforced.
    Unbelievable tooling on Mernickles.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Be sure and check out the Eagle Defender from K&D. I love mine.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links