IWB Holster Suggestion?

This is a discussion on IWB Holster Suggestion? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, This forum has proven to be great source of information since I discovered it a few weeks ago, so I gonna hit y'all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB Holster Suggestion?

IWB Holster Suggestion?

Hello all,

This forum has proven to be great source of information since I discovered it a few weeks ago, so I gonna hit y'all up for some more advice.

I currently carry my PT111 IWB, small of back at just shy of 6 o'clock, in the infamous "cheap holster", just a bargain Uncle Mike's model. So far, it seems to get the job done, but it seems like it may not last a terribly long time, and I'm concerned about the plastic belt clip - seems like it might break over time, or at the very least slip off my belt just when I don't need it to. I'm curious what some of you might recommend as a higher quality alternative that won't cost an arm and a leg and a million rounds of practice ammo.

Also, I've seen lots of discussion about using a formal gunbelt, vs. a regular belt. Curious what the advantages are, and again, looking for suggestions of a model that would get the job done without being terribly expensive.

Thanks for any suggestions..!
    .40 is fine.

2. Remove Ads

Check out www.highnoonholsters.com, good holsters @ good prices.

The De Santis Tuck This holster is a good, cheap and adaptable option if you want to go up in quality some.
    A sturdy belt is exactly that, it holds the weight of the gun and so prevents it from sagging, and in turn printing as much.
    Once you get a good belt you will wonder why you waited.

Bianchi do nice belts in the $30 - $40 range, check out Midwayusa.com.
    Last edited by Pete; May 9th, 2007 at 02:49 AM.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    What's expensive to you? There are some custom holster makers on this forum that can make you a nice handmade holster for $60 or less. A good double thick leather gunbelt's going to run in the neighborhood of $50 or so.

I've never had a wilderness belt, but people on this forum have raved about it. I can't think of them, but there are some other belts (Not leather), that I thought run for $25 or so.

I'm sure you could probably get one of the less expensive custom holster makers on this forum to make you a holster & belt package for not much over $100.

As to the need of a good belt, it'll make carrying more comfortable & will reduce sagging & the holster from flopping around.

Personally, I like UBG holsters (I have 2 of his tuckable IWB models). I also use a Liger belt, but the cheapest I've seen for them is about $55. It's also not leather, but looks like it & isn't as thick as a leather gunbelt.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

$50 or $60 is certainly in an exceptable range to me, or even in the hundred range with a belt as well. What's the best way to get in contact with some of those aforementioned custom holster makers on the forum?
    .40 is fine.

Go to the top of this page on the right: HOLSTER SOURCES
    Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

I have experience with Milt Sparks, HBE and Garrity. All make excellent holsters. Sparks makes the watch six which runs about $65 IIRC, Garrity and HBE both make a couple than run in the $70 range.
    I cannot recommend using a production line holster. Just not worth it IMO.
    Hoplophile

I have the same "cheap" Uncle Mikes black synthetic IWB holster for my 642. It's not a bad holster despite the price.It conforms to the shape of the gun better than leather and seems to be very easy on the finish.It stays in place during the draw and is very light. The plastic clip may fail over time, but the remedy is simple and cheap as a new Uncle Mikes. It's one of those products like a Mika pocket holster, they are simple and work as well or better than the rest. Just my opinion-Chuck.

I use a Bianchi Pro 100 Size 10A, for my PT145 (Same size as PT140 & PT111 Mil Pros). It's an IWB with excellent leather workmanship and about $40. Here's a link for the Bianchi 100 Professional
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...TxtModelID=100
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

++for UBG, good prices very good quality!

Try Tucker Gunleather Coverup. Excellent quality and service.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

If you're not willing to wait an extremely long time for a custom holster, try galco. I have a very comfortable IWB for my P9, it was around 40 bones.

As far as gun belts go...in my opinion they are more necessary with OWB holsters. IWB holster just need to be pressed against the body tightly so they don't move around. Most belts will work for this.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagphish View Post
    If you're not willing to wait an extremely long time for a custom holster, try galco. I have a very comfortable IWB for my P9, it was around 40 bones.

As far as gun belts go...in my opinion they are more necessary with OWB holsters. IWB holster just need to be pressed against the body tightly so they don't move around. Most belts will work for this.
    I will put in another nod for Tucker Gunleather...I have a Texas Heritage for my EDC - Dan Wesson 1911 Bobtail Commander.

I will disagree with the belt statement above. I just got my belt from Beltman (via Tucker) and it makes a WORLD of differance. I would get a cheaper holster (Highnoon Holsters has good models in stock for low prices) and spend the money on a good belt.

me
    I have always worn a good heavy gun belt, even before I carried, because of buying them to waer on duty as an EMT. I have three belts 1 1/2 gun belt, 1 1/2 regular leather belt (dress belt), 1/34 gun belt. I HATE even wearing the dress belt when I am not carrying because it feels so cheap. Get a real belt and you will understand.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Try Tucker Gunleather Coverup. Excellent quality and service.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com
    +1 on Tucker!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links