Holster Info

This is a discussion on Holster Info within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to avoid the dreaded drawer of mistakes I've read about on several websites. Iv'e read quite a few holster sites, threads, and articles ...

Thread: Holster Info

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue

Holster Info

I want to avoid the dreaded drawer of mistakes I've read about on several websites. Iv'e read quite a few holster sites, threads, and articles over the past month which has helped narrow down some of my holster choices. I am now in need of some detailed holster information regarding my first purchase for a Walther P99. For conceal reasons I want to try an IWB first. I have a couple of questions and am looking for input. I am really interested in specifically why you did or did not like a holster. I have information about brands, companies, or makers. I want to know:

What are the details that make a good IWB holster comfortable to wear?

What details make a holster miserable to wear?

What functions do you want and like?

What functions do you not like?

What is your idea of the perfect marriage a holster's details?

What custom details are our favorites and why.

Please don't limit comments to the Walther.

Thanks,
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I think the drawer full is just part of the Find the Holster that works process. with all the body types and personal preference out there an adjustable cant might be a good start point. Good luck.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I'll start with a MacDaniel II, I like the way the single loop holds the butt in close, it is adjustable for cant, it rides low and does not shift around. Then there's Gary Brommeland's Max-Con V you get a wide thin profile and it has a nice bottom tab for support. Milt Sparks, VM-2 one of the most comfortable holsters that you'll find. A wide double loop holster that is really hard to beat. It gives a lot of stability and ride low and is thin while having a reinforced mouth that does not add much bulk to the holster. All of our holster makers here are making quality usable holsters. There are only so many ways that you can wrap a holster around a pistol. So most are a variation of holsters that work, of course people come up with something that can improve on a proven platform. It happens in all fields. That's where the custom makers come into their expertise, they know leather, and try out these "new" ideas so we don't have to as much. But again, I'm one of those guys that want to try a little new stuff here and there. To me the holster must not only work, but look good, and be comfortable while doing the job they were designed to do. All of my holsters receive the sofa test. Can I lie down and take a nap with it on? If so it should be pretty easy to wear all day.

Here is my 2 cents...

I have found that IWBs are only comfortable if there is side protection (why I started making holsters).

Only secure holster with a good quality clip or leather loop (very important) give the confidence to carry without worrying.

Your body type dictates what type of holster and cant works better for you. Smaller guns the straight drop works best and larger guns the @15 degree cant seams to work for me.

I like thinner holsters for IWB unless you need one handed reholstering.

u
    Last edited by MNBurl; May 11th, 2007 at 04:54 PM.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I want to avoid the dreaded drawer of mistakes I've read about on several websites.

What functions do you not like?

All responses are MHO and not intended as global bulwark.

Weight distribution: It must spread the wt of the gun over the largest possible area without being bulky, or compromise stealth.
    It must secure the holster to the belt. For me, this means it has to have two clips; one on either side of the gun. Bear in mind, I carry 1911s, which are HEAVYY.
    Adjustability: It must be adjustable. The ability to adjust the ride height and cant are a must. Even the most "custom" IWB needs a skoshe of fine tuning.
    Tuckable: I don't want to start a war over this, but it's a feature I find necessary. It's not ideal, but those of us who need it, understand.

Omission of any of the above. Sharp edges, slippage, finicky fasteners. Rediculously thin materials. Suede linings (suede traps particuate and becomes sand paper for your gun.)

Must not be so tight as to impede my draw stroke. Mustn't move when drawing. Must be easily re-holsterable.

While I disagree with the use of suede as a lining, I love it next my skin, or t-shirt. It MUST be chrome tanned, for durability and in order to maintain the texture of the nap. When properly executed, it holds the rig nearly as firmly as velcro on your body. It never gets slimey, it never gets rough.

I do not like all-leather, smooth-out holsters for IWB. In hot weather, one of two things happens: 1) they get sticky, or "tacky" and can stick to me, causing pinching, or some other discomfort. 2) They can get slimey and move around. I do not like rough-out holsters, since in the same weather, they wick moisture in and onto my gun.

As ever, YMMV
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Now that PingPing is a great answer in deed.
    "While the wicked stand confounded, call me with thy saints surrounded."

Springfield XD9-SC
    1895 Chilean Mauser
    1981 Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS
    1943 Mosin-Nagant M-38
    NRA Life Member(when it gets paid for)
    Moving Eventually ... Montana or Wyoming anyone?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    PingPing, who makes that holster?

Try Don Hume PCCH. Great affordable price, easy on/off, side leather/sweat shield (keeps gun from digging into bare side) I have one for each of my handguns and I have not been unhappy. Don Hume in general will not do you wrong. But if leather is not your thing, try Blade-tech kydex. A little pricy for kydex but in my experience it is worth it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I've posted this question a couple of places and have got some great answers and responses.

I was wanting an IWB but after reading some things and playing with what I currently have an OWB will probably met my needs. I found this holster from Black Hills Leather. The holster can be IWB or OWB by removing the belt loop. Any experience or opinions on it?

So far, my list of things to look for include belt size/loop match, 2 belts, reinforced top for one-handed holstering, trigger covered, open muzzle, and leather loops (was thinking clips). Oh, the color...

Black, for concealment but the other colors sure are pretty and seem to add some character.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    PingPing, who makes that holster?
    Sorry. It's a Tucker Answer.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Links