Two for a VP70Z

Two for a VP70Z

This is a discussion on Two for a VP70Z within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the main reasons I got into leatherwork was because I had a few oddball pistols in my personal collection that I could not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two for a VP70Z

Two for a VP70Z

One of the main reasons I got into leatherwork was because I had a few oddball pistols in my personal collection that I could not find decent leather for. There are many discontinued handguns that are perfectly servicable, but off-the-shelf holsters are no longer available since the guns are out-of-production. The guns of HK are among the best of these. The holsters shown are both going out the door tomorrow morning to two different customers. Both are for an HK VP70Z, an 18 round 9mm. The Enforcer OWB is plain black leather; the IWB is my standard In-Cognito with shark-skin accents. It always gives me a certain sense of purpose when I can provide a customer with leather for a pistol of this nature. Sure, I like making holsters for the usual requests such as 1911s, Glocks, and Sigs; but there's a certain feeling that takes me back when I get to fulfill a request for something a bit less common.

As a side note, many credit Glock as being the first polymer pistol. Not the case. This pistol, by Heckler and Koch, pre-dated the first Glock by several years. The civilian semi-auto was the "Z" version. The military "M" version looks identical, but is selective-fire, shooting semi-auto and 3-round burst when a special shoulder-stock is attached to the grip.

"He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Lead Moderator
    Nice looking holsters. HK always has had interesting looking/operating guns. they have many innovative ideas in firearms development.
    Besides handguns, the G11 was a radial concept in rifles, as well as the XM8.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    Nice holsters (as usual), and the pistol is sure interesting looking, especially the trigger.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Very NIce

You are a true professional, Mark. Nice work!

VIP Member
    Beautiful... Can't wait for my Incognito to arrive!

Now, if HK could figure out how to incorporate all their innovations into less expensive packages... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator

Thumbs up

They are magnificent Mark.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Nice
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Every time I see your work I start drooling like a stroke victim.

Seeing your work online assures me that I will love my Incognito Deluxe for my N-Frame "Hogleg" Revolver.

Biker

What OZ leather do you use?

How thick is your leather there? If you dont mind me asking. I have tried to bone mine to get the gun detail, just as you have so magnificantly done so, and I fail. I am using 9/10 oz leather. Bear in mind I am a serious novice at this leather craft. In other words, I suck.

VIP Member
    Beautiful leather....as a side note....someone still carries that gun?? The trigger pull on some samples I've tried were h-e-a-v-y. Mags were hard to get too.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    How thick is your leather there? If you dont mind me asking. I have tried to bone mine to get the gun detail, just as you have so magnificantly done so, and I fail. I am using 9/10 oz leather. Bear in mind I am a serious novice at this leather craft. In other words, I suck.

I'm using 6.5-7 oz for my IWBs and 7.5-8 oz for OWBs, and quite an odd assortment of hand tools.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Beautiful leather....as a side note....someone still carries that gun?? The trigger pull on some samples I've tried were h-e-a-v-y. Mags were hard to get too.
    Yeah, actually two people.
    I think there are a few reasons the gun never really caught on despite being innovative and ahead of it's time in a lot of ways.
    One is the trigger as you stated - it's like an electric drill.
    Another is the European heel style magazine release.
    No that's not a mag-release button behind the trigger-guard where one would normally be. That circular button is a cross-bolt safety just like the one on a Remington 870 shotgun; the third reason it probably never caught on.

I believe thats the first VP70Z I've seen. Definitley has a distictive look! The leather is absolutley stunning!
    Regards, Rick

VIP Member
    I remember the crossbolt safety.....still, I'd get one just to get that nice holster for it Mark.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I need your service. I have a hk vp70z and i need a holstor. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by mark garrity View Post
    one of the main reasons i got into leatherwork was because i had a few oddball pistols in my personal collection that i could not find decent leather for. There are many discontinued handguns that are perfectly servicable, but off-the-shelf holsters are no longer available since the guns are out-of-production. The guns of hk are among the best of these. The holsters shown are both going out the door tomorrow morning to two different customers. Both are for an hk vp70z, an 18 round 9mm. The enforcer owb is plain black leather; the iwb is my standard in-cognito with shark-skin accents. It always gives me a certain sense of purpose when i can provide a customer with leather for a pistol of this nature. Sure, i like making holsters for the usual requests such as 1911s, glocks, and sigs; but there's a certain feeling that takes me back when i get to fulfill a request for something a bit less common.

As a side note, many credit glock as being the first polymer pistol. Not the case. This pistol, by heckler and koch, pre-dated the first glock by several years. The civilian semi-auto was the "z" version. The military "m" version looks identical, but is selective-fire, shooting semi-auto and 3-round burst when a special shoulder-stock is attached to the grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links