pancake/belt question

pancake/belt question

This is a discussion on pancake/belt question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an El Paso Saddlery pancake somewhat broken in. My Kimber Compact CDP II draws smoothly if I hold the holster. On the belt ...

Question pancake/belt question

I have an El Paso Saddlery pancake somewhat broken in. My Kimber Compact CDP II draws smoothly if I hold the holster. On the belt it binds as the holster rises. I am using a 1 1/2 in fairly stiff belt. What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by dyoll View Post
    I have an El Paso Saddlery pancake somewhat broken in. My Kimber Compact CDP II draws smoothly if I hold the holster. On the belt it binds as the holster rises. I am using a 1 1/2 in fairly stiff belt. What am I doing wrong?
    That's characteristic of a Pancake that is finely boned, especially if you have a "Smaller" Waist. I just keep wrapping more wax paper around the gun (unloaded) while I'm wearing the holster around the house until I get it stretched to where it draws easily while I'm wearing it. My Brommeland's are notoriously tight holsters...
    Tony

Perhaps the holster needs to be broken in more. Try holstering the unloaded weapon with a thin sock over it and let it sit for awhile.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Try some Leather Lightning on it.

Also, be sure that whatever belt youre using completely fills the loops on the holster. This is a MUST. Belts that are extremely thick (Tucker standard, Mernickle, etc), do not work well with pancakes in my experience. They tend to arch, or "bow" the holster too much, creating too much tension across the outer "cake".
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Thanks for the input

You can also wrap the gun in a thick sock. I find that using wax paper or a plastic bag just doesn't stretch the leather enough on a really tight holster.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

I have a Don Hume pancake, on a 11/2 belt. Put it on and could not get the gun out of it. I tried wax paper it did not work. Someone told
    me abouit Mitch Rosen Gunleather-he is listed on the Holster link. He has a product called leather lightning a little dab on the inside of the holster and problem solved.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

when i was a kid people couldn't wait for their glass packs to mellow , so the old "stuff a water hose down em" was tried . it works but you end up with a harsh raspy sound later .

patience young one ,use and wear is the best option . to have a holster not only hold, but to release as well takes time .

a mellow throaty rumble tickles the girls ears better .

elance

IF your holster is already broken in, and the problem still persists - then you are dealing with a design flaw in the holster. A poorly designed pancake will tend to bind at the trigger guard.

Please understand, however, that some retention is probably built into the holster, so be sure to confirm that it is binding at the trigger guard rather than just being properly molded and boned. Binding is a problem because it can be very inconsistant with different belts and/or varying tension on the belt, whereas a nice boning job will be very consistant regardless of how tight the belt is worn. That inconsistancy in tension can result in very erratic draw characteristics.

My problem is just the OPPOSITE! I ordered a BRAND NEW Galco "Concealable" and after a month or so of wearing (not every day either) it is extrememly loose! Even when it's flexed on my belt, it's a little loose! I mean it's what I would refer to as "perfectly broken in" but then again...how much more "looser" will it get over time?

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    My problem is just the OPPOSITE! I ordered a BRAND NEW Galco "Concealable" and after a month or so of wearing (not every day either) it is extrememly loose! Even when it's flexed on my belt, it's a little loose! I mean it's what I would refer to as "perfectly broken in" but then again...how much more "looser" will it get over time?
    Many factory holsters are made from leather tanned by a Canadian firm by the name of Wickett & Craig. I believe that the company that you mentioned does as well, although I cannot say for sure.

I tried Wickett & Craig leather years ago, but never was really satisfied with the results. It can be really beautiful leather. However, in my experience the holsters made from it never really molded up firmly enough to suit me, and tended to soften up pretty quickly. It does make nice belts, however.

If you combine any veg tanned leather (especially this material) with an oil based finish (as the big holster factories do), you're gonna end up with a sloppy holster every time.

If you want the performance of a custom holster, you're gonna have to buy custom holsters. Factory holsters are what they are, and you just are not going to get the same level of performance.

Thanks Gary. I'm really start to think about custom holsters more and more! I've been a Galco man for 17+ years...but their quality has REALLY went downhill as of late.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Galco used to be about as good as it got ( IMHO ) and i own a bit of the old stuff , but i wont waste money on what i see today . I have a hume that i use for every day carry now , and its frankly barely worth the price of purchace ( i got it for free ) . It is a sad fact that today you have to go custom or synthetic , or both to get materials of any quality in a holster . It is no ones fault in the gun industry tho since everyone wants good marbled beef you get hormoned up beef that is somewhat " force grown " in lots for your local grocery store . This leads to poor quality leather . You cannot raise a cow to meet a custom makers leather standards so its a small pool of good materials everyone tries to find and compete for . Leathersmiths of all schools from saddlesmiths to holstersmiths now compete for a shtinking pool of acceptable leather . It costs more to have the same holster today that it did in the 70s and 80s , this trend will only get worse IMHO and that is without new controls on slaughter of exotics and horses ect.. .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Galco used to be about as good as it got ( IMHO ) and i own a bit of the old stuff , but i wont waste money on what i see today . I have a hume that i use for every day carry now , and its frankly barely worth the price of purchace ( i got it for free ) . It is a sad fact that today you have to go custom or synthetic , or both to get materials of any quality in a holster . It is no ones fault in the gun industry tho since everyone wants good marbled beef you get hormoned up beef that is somewhat " force grown " in lots for your local grocery store . This leads to poor quality leather . You cannot raise a cow to meet a custom makers leather standards so its a small pool of good materials everyone tries to find and compete for . Leathersmiths of all schools from saddlesmiths to holstersmiths now compete for a shtinking pool of acceptable leather . It costs more to have the same holster today that it did in the 70s and 80s , this trend will only get worse IMHO and that is without new controls on slaughter of exotics and horses ect.. .

You are exactly right about the leather availability. I am now spending $20 to $30 a holster just for leather....

Well, a friend of mine is sending me a pair of Milt Sparks VM2's to test drive for a week or so. If these don't work out, I'm afraid I'll be saying "bye-bye" to leather and sticking with Kydex.

I know, I know...

Links