CCW Holster with Retention?

This is a discussion on CCW Holster with Retention? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you read my post about trying OWB holster, I have dropped the Galco Concealable idea. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just don't feel as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Holster with Retention?

If you read my post about trying OWB holster, I have dropped the Galco Concealable idea. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I just don't feel as comfortable with a holster that doesn't have some type of retention. I'm not sure if I want a thumb break, but an adjustable retention screw would be nice. The one I saw and like the most is the Sparks CC-AT. I think this would work nice for my Kimber Ultra. Does anyone have one? Just getting some info before I invest that much.

Any views about retention? I see alot of pics with people carrying OWB without any apparent retention feature. Am I paranoid, or being cautious? What do you like? Thumb break? Tention screw? Something else? Or nothing at all? I like learning, so all views would be appreciated. Thank you.

Any high quality IWB holster is going to hold your weapon securely. The Milt Sparks VersaMax II or Gary Brommeland's MaxCon V are perfect examples of this; you could literally hang upside down and the weapon won't budge, but go to draw and it will be smooth as silk. I am currently going to try a CTAC holster from Comp Tac and from what I understand the weapon will almost "click" into place. Also remember your gun belt is wrapped around the middle of the slide, providing additional security.

I can see the desire for a retention strap, but they are unnecessary and cumbersome to me, but I'm sure some guys will chime in with suggestions for you.

IWB carry is awesome but takes the right holster and fit. Get a good quality 1.5 " gun belt, get some pants 1 or 2 inches larger than your waist and experiment with positioning it at home. Have fun!

P.S. Give Gary a call over at Brommeland Gun Leather if you're interested in getting to know something about holsters and CCW....... he's a very cool and knowledgeable guy.

Concealed is concealed. I agree that with the proper fitted IWB/OWB holster and a quality belt concealed, the retention is superb. I have a personal preference towards a 1 3/4 Wilderness belt and the K&D Holster Defender IWB series or Kramer OWB Scabbard . I had a Milt Sparks VMII that I sold only because I desired an adjustable cant. Having said that, the VMII is a benchmark for IWB.

For open carry OWB I feel there is a need for retention.

That reminds me that I need to place a holster order with K&D.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Like mentioned above, with a quality holster, you don't really need added retention straps or screws if the holster is made well. I thought I needed additional security as well when I first started carrying but realized you don't need it. In the holster you should be able to turn it upside down and it won't fall out, plus once you have it on and cinch your belt that will tighten it s well. Even with OWB carry you should be ok with it. Unless you are gonna open carry I would skip it, or at most use the screw. I have had holsters with the screws as well from High Noon leather and never needed to adjust or tighten it. Hope this helps. By the way, I use a VMII currently and love it, and I have used Fist holsters for OWB, no problems, have a K&D Eagle Defender on order now.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you want a retension device other than a snug fitting custom holster, try Bianchi's holster loks line. I have a Bianchi paddle-lok, but for OWB, they make a carrylok & snaplok. Both of these are closer fitting & they have an easy draw. You'll just have to train yourself to poke the release with your middle finger as you grasp your gun.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Moderator
    SOME retention is a good thing as you may fall or have to duck, roll, flip, lay down, do a handstand, whatever, and you still want your gun to stay where it's supposed to until you need it.

I have a holster that's a POS...lol. Every time I drop trou to go the bathroom my gun falls out of the holster. It's barely a step above the sticking the thing in my waste band. I kept saying I needed a new holster until I was getting changed and, once again, my gun fell out of the holster and this time my hubby saw it. He said, "MY GOD, You need a new holster!"

It doesn't necessarily make me nervous or scared because even though the darned thing fell probably a hundred times it never went off and I have yet to have to do a hand stand on demand while carrying, but you never know.. the day may come!

If you want something like a holster that has a kind of lock so that ONLY you can draw it, well, then, I don't know how to help you cause I've never looked for one, but others may be able to direct you.

A good standard holster is one in which you can put your gun into, hold it upside down and your gun will not fall out. If you can do that, then your holster is okay. You may not need a thumb break or even a retention screw, just the grip of good leather or maybe even a swell around the trigger guard may be sufficient.

That may be a little less than what you are looking for but it will do the job.

Good luck!

Your diary is pretty funny.......I like it.

If you like IWB I have a couple of Ted Blocker model 12's that I am very happy with. Belt loop is secured with a snap and they have a reinforced mouth for one hand reholstering and a thumb break.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Most good IWB holsters need no retention do-dads, the tightly cinched belt holds things snugly in place. OWT holsters again if designed right when the belt cinches up it will pull the face of the holster tightly against your body helping hold things in place. Then there is the OWB holsters that the belt goes over the holster and acts much like a IWB holster as the belt tightens up it holds the pistol snug. A good holster and a good belt working together is usually all a person needs. As it's concealed, I don't really worry about someone other than myself getting it out of my holster. If you care for the plastic holsters they are coming up with some good features and designs. I have some but prefer leather.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    When carrying concealed, I don't see a need for any mechanical retention devices. The concealment serves as a barrier to unauthorized access, by denying the opposition the ability to target the weapon in the first place.

I do have a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster for my Glock 22, but it's a little tough to conceal during the warmer half of the year. It's mostly for work-related open carry. My duty holster is the level III Serpa, so the draw stroke is very similar.

The Mitch Rosen OWB I use for my 1911 pretty much just uses extreme detail-fitting for retention. After a few hundred draws, I'm no longer giving myself a wedgie, though......

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Concealed is concealed: I don't like retention.

Get a nice Cow, Horse, Shark, Elephant, or Cheetah hide holster and you will not have a problem with your gun falling out.

I sometimes don't understand how someone can buy a gun for $500-$1000 and won't spend over $20 dollars on a holster. If your buying a gun to carry on your hip plan on the $ of the gun plus about $150 for the rest of the stuff (Holster, Belt, Mag Pouch) $150 maybe alittle light maybe more realistically closer to $200-50

I'm not jumping over fences
    I'm not chasing bad guys (let the Cops do that thats why they get paid, plus keeps me out of jail)
    I need the quickest way to get the gun out of the hardest thing in the system to master ( the piece of Cow, Horse, Shark, or Polymer that is on your hip)
    Most retention devices on Most holsters require fine muscles (muscles in the fingers) to disengage. These are called fine muscle skills

When the bullets start flying your brain generally shifts to the big muscle groups to keep you going (ie Survival mode). Moving of the arms and legs is pretty much what your going to have in your tool box, you even loose alot of your vision due to an effect called tunnel vision, as well as alot of auditory sounds will also be excluded due to the big adrenaline dump you just recieved.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; May 16th, 2007 at 05:40 PM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Lead Moderator
    I use a serpa holster sometimes, but fine screw adjustable retention is fine too. Desantis has some button lock holsters too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    I am currently going to try a CTAC holster from Comp Tac and from what I understand the weapon will almost "click" into place.
    Yes, they do. And they slide like greased lightning when it's time to come out.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!!!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I have a holster that's a POS...lol. Every time I drop trou to go the bathroom my gun falls out of the holster. It's barely a step above the sticking the thing in my waste band. I kept saying I needed a new holster until I was getting changed and, once again, my gun fell out of the holster and this time my hubby saw it. He said, "MY GOD, You need a new holster!"

Good luck!
    Umm what kind of holster is this now? (Who made it) Don't want to acidently buy this one.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links