Belts?

Belts?

This is a discussion on Belts? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure many of you will laugh at this question, but oh well. I need to know. I'm pretty new to concealed carry. Almost everything ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belts?

Belts?

I'm sure many of you will laugh at this question, but oh well. I need to know. I'm pretty new to concealed carry.

Almost everything I hear is about "good belts". What is the difference between a good gun belt and a normal belt? I've looked at gun belts online and from pics I see no difference other then the materials they are made out of.

Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Google up gun belt makers or do a search here.

Assistant Administrator
    We have several threads on this over time - and a search might well find you one or two - with lots of info.

Generally they tend to be 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" and maybe up to 1/4" thick - often leather but not always.

Better still is that they are cut ''on the curve'' and so fit better. Comfort coupled with significant rigidity )non sag) is name of game .. and the top holster guys make fine belts as does Jim the Belt Man.

A fine holster on a skinny soggy cheapie belt is a waste!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good "gun" belts are either double thick cowhide or they have a strip of Kydex running the length of the belt. I have been wearing a Looper's kydex belt for about 2 weeks now, and I LOVE IT! You know that little "V" notch that you get from the belt loop right above your butt from the center belt loop? It is nothing but a memory with the Looper Kydex belt. I've started to notice a LITTLE bit of warping around the front near the buckle, but that's from my big ol' belly - not the belt's quality!

If you will call Looper's at 1-800-299-5667 (LOOP) they can fix you up! Oh! I almost forgot! The price? $29.95! SUCH-A-DEAL!!! Call them and ask for Suzanne and tell her Evan Lee sent you!

Look here and be warned....you will buy one!
    http://www.thebeltman.net/

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The difference between a regular belt & a gun belt is night & day. An all leather gun belt is going to be about 1/4" thick. It won't roll &/or sag like a regular one with over time (Very little time, too). There are other kinds & some that use kydex in the middle. These are usually thinner than the double leather thick ones.

Personally, I use a Liger belt. It's all synthetic, thin, doesn't look like a gun belt at all, & has all the advantages of a gun belt. They're not cheap (The best price I've seen is about $55.00), but like the fact that they don't look like a gun belt & aren't thick like one, too.

Anyways, once you try a good gun belt on, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

me
    Drop by a Uniform shop that caters to Emergency Services if you can find one they will be able to help you find a good belt.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

The other posts touched upon the main points.
    Carrying concealed is more than just a good pistol and good holster; it has to be thought of a complete system of pistol, holster, belt , and clothing. A good belt is the foundation of the carry system. Much like you wouldn't want a house built on a cheap foundation, the best holster on the planet will not perform to it's full potential on an inadequate belt.
    I could get rather lengthy discussing the merits of a holster-maker's belt over a store bought belt, and the various materials, etc.; but i'll keep this short with an easy test:
    Take a belt and hold the edges between your forefinger and thumb. Now squeeze. If you can compress the leather and crush the sides, it is not an adequate gun belt. The thickness of the belt doesn't matter, it's lateral support you are looking for in a carry belt. I can make a very thin gun belt that looks like a dress belt, and you won't be able to crush it from top to bottom. It doesn't have to be 1/4 inch thick, but must be rigid laterally.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Here is a pic of a belt somewhat like what I normally wear. I did your little "test" and my belt seemed to pass. The metal studs on it make it a pretty sturdy belt.
    Attached Images
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    Take a belt and hold the edges between your forefinger and thumb. Now squeeze. If you can compress the leather and crush the sides, it is not an adequate gun belt.
    Good info, thanks. So, my Liger belt's fine then. That's good to know. Belt makers apparently can make a gun belt thin, but the ones I've seen are thick (Unless they have a kydex or somesuch insert in them).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I think I've heard some makers mention that with their double thickness gunbelts, they stitch them so the grain of the one piece of the leather runs side to side on one, up and down on the other, to make for stiffness.
    I'm not sure the metal studded belt is a good idea. You may find it too thick to pass through most holster's loops. Among other problems.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Mark pretty well nailed it. It is all in the lateral stability - that's everything in a gun belt. That's why good (leather) gunbelts are two ply - the first 1/10 of an inch or so (of the "grain" - that's the smooth side) is the strongest, most dense part of the leather. Simply making a belt thicker will do very little to give it more lateral strength. However, adding a second grain layer makes a world of difference.

I would also suggest that you take a look at The Wilderness Instructors belts - we carry the 1.5" 5-Stitch version and it makes a GREAT gunbelt and is very affordable ($39.95).
    If you have any further questions, we do phone consultations for newbies (or anyone else with a question) at no charge. Give us a call @ 423.733.1779. Good luck!

me
    Gary and Mark,

Gun belt question that is a little different, My gun belt is seeing some of the Black wear off of it where the clip from my uncle mikes hoster is riding (while I am waiting for the Max-Con) Is there a way for me to easily get some color back on it?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

me,

This is direct from the beltmans website:

"If your belt gets hard use or starts to look tired, a coat of KIWI NEUTRAL shoe polish, available at any grocery store or shoe shop will restore the surface appearance."

I have only heard great things about this guys product. I will soon be purchasing one myself.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Gary and Mark,

Gun belt question that is a little different, My gun belt is seeing some of the Black wear off of it where the clip from my uncle mikes hoster is riding (while I am waiting for the Max-Con) Is there a way for me to easily get some color back on it?
    Howdy!

Yep! Clips can sure be rough on a belt. I would suggest contacting whoever made the belt and ask them specifically. If it were one of my belts, I'd suggest sending it to me so I could touch up the dye and refinish it for you (we do that sort of thing "on the house" as a service to our customers).
    If you want to "do it yourself ", go to a western boot shop and ask for Properts or Meltonian shoe cream in black. Just rub it in and buff it off and you're done. It is not as good as touching up the finish, but it will do the trick.
    In any event, I would not recommend the use of Kiwi shoe polish, or anything similar. They have petroleum based solvents in them that tend to suck the natural oils out of the leather.
    Good luck. Gimme a call if I can help you further.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links