Another conversion from OWB to IWB - the OTI holster

This is a discussion on Another conversion from OWB to IWB - the OTI holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, I'm the one that put together the original Bucket holster and I know that there are some out there that rolled their eyes at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another conversion from OWB to IWB - the OTI holster

Yes, I'm the one that put together the original Bucket holster and I know that there are some out there that rolled their eyes at the thought of putting a piece of bucket inside their pants. I had a number of people throw out suggestions to use leather or kydex instead of a simple paint bucket and I listened...sort of.

The bucket holster worked for me and I like it, but I'm one of those people that can't leave well enough alone. I fiddle and experiment/mess with things. Enter the OTI holster (OWB To IWB).

I had purchased a square of leather from the local Tandy store to attach a small piece to my Uncle Mike's pocket holster (it needed something else to break up the shape of the P3AT) I had a bit of extra and wanted to try out another idea. The size and thickness of the leather I had gotten wasn't quite stiff or large enough to do the same thing I did with my bucket so I improvised.

Here's what I've come up with:

For those of you that would like to try this here's a little illustration that I drew (I'm no Picasso).

It's very adjustable for cant and height depending on where on the clip or the leather you want to attach everything. I'd say it's even more comfortable to wear than the bucket because it's much more form fitting without loosing the stiffness needed to stay put. I have noticed that it's easier for me to slide it along my belt when initially putting it on, probably because before the bucket piece would catch on different parts of my pants. All in all, I'd say this was a successful experiment.

What do you guys think?

Lightbulb thats a keeper

that SO works. A touch of dye and its a done deal. the holster makers may not like this they will be selling one less holster now.Maybe.
    RVN 68-69 101st Abn. Div. D Co. 101st Avn. Bn.

Senior Moderator
    Very good idea
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I think most people enjoy the quality and beauty enough that come from professional holster makers to totally keep them in business. My intention isn't to stop folks from buying high quality holsters, but to show how easy it can be to have a serviceable holster for daily CCW. If I can help someone carry their weapon when they originally thought they couldn't then that would make me a happy man.

I've never dyed leather. Does anyone have any tips?

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Nice idea. You could be a comic artist. Those drawings are VERY good. Wish I had talent like that. My kindergardener draws better than me.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Looks great! Might have to get an OWB jsut so I can try this.

Thanks Nate, I must admit to having grown up a comic book geek, but I never had the talent to draw professionally. I'm just thankful that I can draw to the extent that I can tell what it is I'm drawing.

I'm only a few steps above stick people.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYKALDRICH View Post
    that SO works. A touch of dye and its a done deal. the holster makers may not like this they will be selling one less holster now.Maybe.
    I doubt it....most of us like to switch between OWB and IWB depending on our mode of dress...is anyone really going to screw and unscrew leather straps in our OWB's when we can just switch holsters? Kudos though to the inventor and looking forward to the next Rube Goldberg project...

This is a beautiful solution . Not elegant, but inventive. it's functional and it meets a need. Not all of us have that need, and some of us would rather have dedicated IWB/OWB rigs. But this idea enables me to buy a OWB for a new gun and jerry rig it to work IWB.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

For those who prefer metal spring clips, this would also work with one of the Belt/Holster Spring Clips from Tandy - http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/p...number=1240-00

With a metal clip you will probably have to lengthen the small piece of leather that's sandwiched between the larger piece so that it runs the full height of the larger piece because the metal clip is so much thinner than the kydex clip.

I tried to keep this as simple as possible...

I figure most of the folks on here prefer dedicated OWB/IWB holsters, but I also know that most of us have that drawer/box full of discarded holsters because they don't fit the need quite right. Here's a way to resurrect one of those OWB holsters so that it becomes useful and not just collecting dust. I know that for me a tuckable IWB is much more versatile than a belt slide OWB.

Perhaps the holster makers will develop this idea into a kit for their belt slide holsters for a small additional fee.

I think it is an excellent way to ressurect an old holster!
    hell o f an idea.

Good job. It's a nice way to resurrect "dead" holsters from the drawer. You can probably get this patented as the "outie to innie" holster converter kit.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    That's thinking,and thinking outside the box. Nice work on that project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links