Big Guys and IWB, My tale...

This is a discussion on Big Guys and IWB, My tale... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I am a big guy and this is what I personally have found about the IWB. Biancai IWB Clip on holster for the 5" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Guys and IWB, My tale...

Ok I am a big guy and this is what I personally have found about the IWB.

Biancai IWB Clip on holster for the 5" 1911. It is my current el cheapo of choice. It really isn't "cheap" as "inexpensive" when compared to high end versions. I believe in the value of the high end holster and can't wait for mine to arrive, but the wait time is a factor. I am waiting for the high end version to arrive and am making do. Surprisingly, it actually works much better than I actually hoped for when I bought it.

I have tried many locations and have found that just to the right of the center of the small of the back is best for me. Big love handles prevent me from good concealment and comfort at the typical 4 o'clock position. It creates a slower draw speed, but with the added benefit of a draw with either hand.

It isn't quite perfect like a 4 o'clock position but works fairly well. Concealment is nicely acheived in the small of the back, even being a big guy.

There is however a drawback to this type of holster is what can make it nice to have. The clip. I have found, the clip can make it very easy to slip on and quickly conceal the firearm at a moments notice without undoing the belt and threading the holster on to the belt. You just spread the clip and drop it onto the belt where you want it. Let it settle and cover it up.

However, a few days ago at a Resturant, I settled into a bench at a booth to have supper. I leaned back and shifted slightly and heard a strange 'pop'! I went to move forward and found that I could not. I tried leaning back and again could not. I got a sinking feeling in my stomach as I realized what had happened. Mind you the room is rather full and I am trying to remain concealed, after all, that is the point. Aimee looks at me and realizes something is wrong and askes what...don't ask I say...

I calmly reach behind me and feel around like I have a sore back. Yep, there it is, the clip has punched through the seat back and I am clipped to the seat. A minute of fumbling with the left hand (I am right handed) to get unclipped. I managed to get free and slid over to inspect the damage.

Now at this point the little red devil on my left shoulder is saying, "Just get up and pay the bill and run like hell..." On my right shoulder the goodie two shoes was there halo and all, spouting, "DON'T YOU DARE..."

:7:

At this point Alex says, "Daddy, did you break the seat?"

Now what would you do?

When the waitress set the check down, I asked for the manager and offered to pay for the repair. I was vague on HOW I did it mumbling something about my keys on my caribbiner. The manager would not hear of my paying for it and that made me feel even more like a heal. In the end I left a whopping tip and called it a day. Lesson learned.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

So you can do more damage with the clip than the gun itself? And you carry it attached to you? That's ballsy :-)
    "While the wicked stand confounded, call me with thy saints surrounded."

Springfield XD9-SC
    1895 Chilean Mauser
    1981 Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS
    1943 Mosin-Nagant M-38
    NRA Life Member(when it gets paid for)
    Moving Eventually ... Montana or Wyoming anyone?

Assistant Administrator
    Nice run-down of your options Lew .... seems you have found what works for you which is main deal.

As for the chair ... hmmmm ......... that's a new one on me Seems you wriggled out of that nicely
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    The joys of dealing with a carry gun. I have had mine hang up on chair backs , ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I can't imagine what would happen if you could not free your self. It could be very embarrissing. Glad you came out ok.

That is why I don't like those clip style holsters..i'm a big guy as well and I could see that happening to me. Glad ya got out of that one.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

To each his own, but that looks very un-comfortable to me!! I'm glad that it works for you...
    Tony

Question for you. What motion do you take with your drawing arm to clear your cover garment so you can get a good safe purchase on the handgun?

I'm also large and I carry IWB 3:30. I cup my fingers and pull straight up at the centerline (12:00) then diagonally down to the 3:30 to get a safe purchase of my CCW.

Thanks for sharing.

Senior Moderator

How timely....

There's an article in the July/August issue of American Handgunner entitled, "Big Man's Concealed Carry" and it addresses the issues a big man faces with CCW.

Don't know if it'll help or not, but thought it was worth mentioning.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaetos View Post
    So you can do more damage with the clip than the gun itself? And you carry it attached to you? That's ballsy :-)
    I borrowed one of the exact same model holsters from the instructor during a training exercise. I didn't notice it until I got undressed later that night that the clip had cut a deep slit on the edge of my belt so the top of the belt looked like I tried to cut it off of me. That was the day I learned no more holsters with steel spring clips for me...
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I just ordered a Don Hume that is similar. I'm hoping that with one clip I can position it in a more comfortable position for driving than I can with my dual clip holster.

I am XXL also, I wear my IWB UBG holster with loops in the small of the back. I dont worry about it falling off and my XD-45 Service disappears.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

As a fat guy who carries,I found IWB to be a problem...I may have to try the sob option......althoug I do love pocket carry......I've actually lost a little weight and have started wearing suspenders till I get new smaller pants.......I like the extra security of suspenders,plus my wife thinks they're cute(I'll take what I can get)I may continue the suspenders even after I get new pants.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I'm carrying quite a few extra pounds, and the 3-4 o'clock area works fine for me.

For comfort, I'll go with an OWB holster.

I would be VERY leery of carrying a full-size pistol in the SOB position, due to the potential for spinal injury in the event of a fall.
    Last edited by Sergeant Mac; May 20th, 2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: hit post before I was done entering text

Never Had a Clip Problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I borrowed one of the exact same model holsters from the instructor during a training exercise. I didn't notice it until I got undressed later that night that the clip had cut a deep slit on the edge of my belt so the top of the belt looked like I tried to cut it off of me. That was the day I learned no more holsters with steel spring clips for me...
    Most of my holsters are clips...strong side and SOB...
    I was wearing a clip yesterday at lunch...it actually works without a belt...you can't pull the holster off without releasing the clip...works for me...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links