Small Of Back Carry?

This is a discussion on Small Of Back Carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I've heard mentioned in a few other postings as well - is small of back carry more hazardous due to the potential for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Of Back Carry?

Small Of Back Carry?

Hello all,

I've heard mentioned in a few other postings as well - is small of back carry more hazardous due to the potential for spinal injury? I've thought about that as I'm sitting in various postures, and it seems like any type of accidental/negligent discharge would be clear of everything except for my -meat (ouch, nonetheless!) But I hear that concern somewhat frequently. It seems as though that's the most comfortable spot for my shape, however, (about 5:30, drawing with my right hand with the gun relatively verticle and the butt of the gun pointing to the right) and most concealable as well, as most of my cover garments tend to be longer in back that on the sides. Thoughts?
    .40 is fine.

2. Remove Ads

All I can say is that more than one LEO has been paralyzed by landing on a gun, handcuffs, or long flashlight that was placed directly over the spine in the small of the back.

What is the percentage or likelihood of that happening?

I have no idea, however, a broken back resulting in paralysis is a permanent injury that I do not want to risk.

Even a ruptured or herniated disk is an injury that I do not want to suffer when all you have to do is avoid placing a steel object over your spine.

It does happen... I hope this helps.

Good luck and stay safe!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree 100% with the above. Furthermore, it is not possible to draw from an SOB without muzzle-flashing yourself and/or bystanders. I consider it to be highly irresponsible to carry in such a manner.

I would suggest that you try an IWB with a more agressive rake angle (24-maybe 28 degrees) and wear it at 5:00 if that position is comfortable for you. Your draw will then be in a straight line with your intended target and therefore MUCH safer for those around you. Good luck!

I also agree 100% with what has been said above! At first look, SOB carry looks ok, but look at it more closely. It really is not a safe way to carry. Also, when you sit down, the pistol really pokes out away from your body also. At least it does in my case!
    Griblik, if I am reading your post correctly, you would basically be forced to draw your weapon across your body which is never a good thing.
    Gary Brommeland's suggestion about the IWB with an aggressive rake is a much better solution. I have a couple of carry guns. One is the Kel-tec P3AT. Most carry this gun in their pocket and I do sometimes, but I much prefer IWB carry. I ordered a holster from K&D Holsters (http://kdholsters.com/) that has a very aggressive rake and I love it. It works very well. I can wear it very far back and still have very easy access to it. Here are a couple of pics.

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Makes sense...

Seems like sound logic. As I've mentioned before, I'm fairly new to carrying, still working out the physics of all this. Thinking I might go invest in an el cheapo holster that I could wear as suggested for a bit just to see how that works out before I spring for a nice one, but I'll definately try the new position - safety first, and all. I like the looks of that holster, Ront, but really prefer the idea of a holster with a retention strap, which seems to be a rarity among IWB.
    .40 is fine.

That retention strap is not really needed and most of the time will ONLY serve to slow you down!! These holsters are molded to the specific gun and the gun basically locks into place when inserted in the holster.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Retention?

Does it have some type of spring retention? Or just a tight-fitting holster in general? I'm sure a strap isn't neccesary, much like a safety on a DAO, but it sure would go a long way towards making me feel better. Right behind "spontaneous discharge" on my list of irrational firearm fears is to be walking down the street and realize my piece fell out about 3 blocks back..! And when it comes down to it, the reason we all carry in the first place is more peace of mind, not less, right?
    .40 is fine.

The only retention is friction. But really. look at all of the better made IWB holsters. How many of them do you see with retention straps?

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Haha, what're you saying, there's a *reason* I can't find any IWB with a strap?? :-) To be fair, I've never even held another IWB holster other than my Uncle Mike's I've been using. Maybe I need to try some other types, and they might sway my opinion.
    .40 is fine.

SOB is not only hazardous but just flat out uncomfortable. Why even subject yourself to it when there are much better carry options?
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I find it very comfortable, just concerned about the safety factor. Where do you carry, Semper?
    .40 is fine.

While I understand the potential downfalls of SOB carry and have no plans to carry thusly, I have to admit this SOB+mag offering from Fist Inc is neato looking.
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/40A.htm

B.

Ooh, that is neato. But dang!! Big bucks!
    .40 is fine.

Sorry gentlemen...I carry SOB quite often...very comfortable...

I shall refrain from digging out old threads and my own personal reasoning...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post
    I find it very comfortable, just concerned about the safety factor. Where do you carry, Semper?
    Usually J frame in Kramer pocket or G27 in a Bulman CAC. OWB doesn't conceal as well for me and IWB is just plain uncomfortable. I did try SOB early on in my CCW days and no go.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links