Don Hume or El Paso Saddlery?

This is a discussion on Don Hume or El Paso Saddlery? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine is a Filson dealer and wants to add a few holsters to his inventory to test the water & see if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Hume or El Paso Saddlery?

Don Hume or El Paso Saddlery?

A friend of mine is a Filson dealer and wants to add a few holsters to his inventory to test the water & see if they will sell.
    In another thread, the quality of mass produced holsters came up. Some negative things were said of Galco, good things about Don Hume & El Paso Saddlery. After checking those three, Galco seems to be more expensive.

What brand of holsters would you recommend?

2. Remove Ads

I own two galco holsters f0r my 1911 and I love them, it's all I use. I have a don hume for my pt145 and I love it as well.

I consider Galco the top of the mass produced line. I also like Don Hume.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have a couple of Galcos that I am well pleased with. There was a question of their durability on another thread though.

I really do like El Paso's High Slide but I think their designs are just average. I never owned a Don Hume but they seem to be good quality and design for the money. I'd say Galco the quality is great and it would probably be easiest to keep in stock.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I've used Galco Gunleather going on 17 years now. My first Galco holster was a Miami Classic shoulder rig. Just like most other companies, this is only my opinion, Galco's quality has went down and their prices have went up. My most recent purchase, a Galco "Concealable" for my Glock 23 is a perfect example. While a lot of people talk about how to "break in" their leather, mine sorta broke in too fast, I guess. Right now it's at the "just right" stage, but I'ts only a month old (+/-)! Is it gonna "stretch" any more causing it to become too loose for dependable service? I dunno. With that being said, I'll prolly never buy another Galco product. But that doesn't alleviate the fact that I need a good serviceable holster that is gonna stand up to the day to day that I require from a holster. It's things like this that make me just wanna say to hell with it and switch over to Kydex and forget all about our beloved leather.

Right now I am kinda leaning towards a Milt Sparks 55 BN holster. Anybody ever had one? Good? Bad? It will prolly be my last go 'round with a leather holster. If it doesn't perform the way I think it should, my plastic gun will be in a plastic holster.

I'm a Fist man...have close to thirty now...but I sure like some of the stuff some of these forum members make...nice leather!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I never had El Paso but I did have a Don Hume for my old Cougar and loved it. Besides theye were basically the only leather company making holsters for the Cougar.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    El Paso Saddlery has been making holsters for a very long time.

The quality is quite good.

They have some nice durable western leather rigs.

Here is a link to their site.
    http://www.epsaddlery.com/

I was just on their site. This holster is totally strange.
    I'm not sure if I love it or hate it. Their cut-away holster.
    So that your firearm does not get overheated during the hot summer months.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    This holster is totally strange.
    I'm not sure if I love it or hate it. Their cut-away holster.
    So that your firearm does not get overheated during the hot summer months.
    Maybe I can help...Hate it!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    While a lot of people talk about how to "break in" their leather, mine sorta broke in too fast, I guess. Right now it's at the "just right" stage, but I'ts only a month old (+/-)! Is it gonna "stretch" any more causing it to become too loose for dependable service?
    I've noticed other brands have a tension screw adjustment, is that the hot set up?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    This holster is totally strange
    I wasn't too crazy about the holy holster either.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I've noticed other brands have a tension screw adjustment, is that the hot set up?
    No tension screw(s) on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm a Fist man...have close to thirty now...but I sure like some of the stuff some of these forum members make...nice leather!

ret
    I had a FIST #20 for my gov't size 1911 and it worked great. Makes me wish I had kept the 1911 becuase that was the only holster I've had that was truly comfortable and I could wear long-distance. Wore it for a 14-hour car ride about a week after I got it and actually forgot it was on.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I've used Galco Gunleather going on 17 years now. My first Galco holster was a Miami Classic shoulder rig. Just like most other companies, this is only my opinion, Galco's quality has went down and their prices have went up. My most recent purchase, a Galco "Concealable" for my Glock 23 is a perfect example. While a lot of people talk about how to "break in" their leather, mine sorta broke in too fast, I guess. Right now it's at the "just right" stage, but I'ts only a month old (+/-)! Is it gonna "stretch" any more causing it to become too loose for dependable service? I dunno. With that being said, I'll prolly never buy another Galco product. But that doesn't alleviate the fact that I need a good serviceable holster that is gonna stand up to the day to day that I require from a holster. It's things like this that make me just wanna say to hell with it and switch over to Kydex and forget all about our beloved leather.

Right now I am kinda leaning towards a Milt Sparks 55 BN holster. Anybody ever had one? Good? Bad? It will prolly be my last go 'round with a leather holster. If it doesn't perform the way I think it should, my plastic gun will be in a plastic holster.
    I don't think I will ever order another kydex holster, they're just not the same as leather.
    Also, I have a Galco NSAII I bought last summer and it has not fared so well. Even though I don't take out the pistol before the holster, it's pretty floppy and the retention is non-existent. Sparks leather holsters are fantastic and you won't be disappointed by them, there's no comparing the mass-produced holsters from the big companies and custom holsters. I have a Sparks EC that I bought used and except for some minor wear marks inside, it doesn't look any different from the day I got it. I've ordered two VMIIs, I only wish I'd ordered them when I first wanted to, I would have them by now.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I Got All Three

THE GALCO IS JUST OKAY USE IT HUNTING WITH MY 686. GOT A HUME FOR MY KARH K-9 WORKS QUITE WELL THE PLASTIC CLIP IS........WELL IT HASNT BROKEN YET BUT.........NOW EL PASO MADE ME A RANGER BELT TO DIE FOR. O YEA THEY HAVE BEEN MAKING STUFF LONGER THAN ANYONE YOU CAN NAME.WANNA BET. CHECK IT OUT.... BAT MASTERSON AND MR ERP HAD STUFF MADE BY THEM I READ IN SOME LIT. THEY SENT ME. THEY KNOW HOW TO HOLD A GUN. OVER 100 YEARS IN THE BIZ.
    RVN 68-69 101st Abn. Div. D Co. 101st Avn. Bn.

Administrator
    I didn't mean to throw this thread off topic by adding the pic of the Holy Holster but, I wanted to check out El Paso to see if their stuff still looked good before I gave them the Thumbs Up. I spotted the holster with holes there as their "new release holster" and I just had to post the pic of it.
    Galco is OK and I've used their holsters in the past. I think their leather loses its crisp hold quicker than some other makers. The leather gets soft after a while at least with a few of mine it has.
    Some of my Galco OWBs do not stay open now like they did when new.

Don Hume has been making LEO rigs for a long time.

I would rate El Paso as being #1 of the two. That is just my .02 though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links