Question for Crossbreed users...

This is a discussion on Question for Crossbreed users... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought one of these locally cause I have heard alot of good things. I got it home to try it on and discovered a ...

Thread: Question for Crossbreed users...

Just bought one of these locally cause I have heard alot of good things. I got it home to try it on and discovered a problem I hadn't even considered.
    I have to wear leather dress belts, shirt and tie, so something like a wilderness belt etc. is not an option.
    When I was trying to position the clips (tried both sets) really scratched the finish of the belt. The belt I was trying it on was not even as thick as a good gunbelt would be but the clips are really tight and edges are sharp.
    How have you all dealt with this?

Thanks!

Larrupin'

Crossbreed holsters

First of all I am biased in their favor. I use one for my XD-45 Service and my Kahr K-9. I cannot carry at work, but do occasionally carry in a suit so I tackled the dress belt issue via Blackhawk's carbon fiber belt. Available in black or brown in 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 widths. Comfortable and reasonably durable. The exterior finish has never shown a mark. My casual clothing belt is either a Liger (most often) or a Galco gunbelt. I've not had an issue with the Liger either. I wear the Galco so rarely since I got the Liger that I don't think I've worn my Crossbreed with it.

Which clips are you using? I've used the j-clips and the belt-loop style without issue, though I too found the belt-loop ones tight. Finally I cheated and used a set of CTAC standard clips (regular clips) on the Crossbreed and they've worked great (First, no one notices the black clips on a black belt while wearing a dark suit. Second, I prefer the less fiddle I have to do get the holster right where I want it and the belt-loop type clips from Crossbreed just didn't do it for me, but my fix was not expensive and worked for me. Your experience may vary. Third, I usually wear a cover garment anyhow so clips on the outside of the belt are not a factor.). Hope this helps...
    V/R,
    The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one. -Aesop

Get a set of v-clips or c clips from comptac, they don't ride outside the belt.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Thanks for the input! I have looked at the C-tac clips and wondered if they would work, sounds like they will. I really like the idea of the V clips, especially for the one in back, I carry a pda on my side all the time so that clip is covered.

Pworks36- I tried both, the J clip is folded over sharply so it is tight and also very sharp edged and it is hard to get the belt into that groove and it scratches as well. May try sanding the edges of the clips to bevel the edges. Just thouht I'd see what others have done.

Thanks for the help,
    Larrupin'

Hey Gang!

I sent an email to crossbreed holsters early this am and Mark had emailed me back by 7:30am on a holiday weekend. How do you beat that?

Anyway he sent me the super simple solution: Use a hair dryer to warm the J-hooks and slightly bend them out to the shape I need.

Now I feel this is painfully high on the "Duh" scale and wish I had thought of it, but in my defense I have never had anthing Kydex in my life and wasn't too sure how it would react.

Kudos to Mark at Crossbreed!

Quote Originally Posted by larrupin View Post
    Anyway he sent me the super simple solution: Use a hair dryer to warm the J-hooks and slightly bend them out to the shape I need.
    Similarly, I've used very hot water (microwaved) to do the same thing. I find it easier to control which parts get bent--Only dip the part you want to adjust in hot water, the rest will stay straight.

On the other hand, I too have switched to Comp-Tac C clips for my Crossbreed.

I was gonna say, Crossbreed as a lifetime warranty on his holsters. I've had one for a semi and I'm waiting for one for my J frame. I like them a lot.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Links