Experience with these Kydex/Combo holsters

This is a discussion on Experience with these Kydex/Combo holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at three IWB holsters... Comp-Tac: C-TAC - I like the adjustable height & cant, and the way the tabs seem to allow some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm looking at three IWB holsters...

Comp-Tac: C-TAC - I like the adjustable height & cant, and the way the tabs seem to allow some flexibility for sitting vs. standing. Not sure how the holster itself will feel against my side/hip.

Comp-Tac: Gurkha - Has the 'wing' that would seem to give flexibility. No adjustments for height or cant.

Tucker Gunleather: The Answer - The flat piece of leather looks like it will be comfortable against my side/hip. The clips are also adjustable for height & cant. Not as much apparent 'give' for sitting, but similar to other holsters that are very popular.

TSC Holsters: UCR - Not as well known at the other two. (http://www.threatsolutions.com/IWBindex.html) Has a larger piece of kydex that curves around the hip/side (compared to the C-TAC). Does not have adjustable height or cant.

KyTac: Braveheart - Also probably not as well-known (http://www.kytac.com/page3.html). As I look at Comp-Tac's page, it is similar to their Gurkha. (I guess I should add that one too.) A "wing" that helps stabilize along with one clip on the holster itself. No height/cant adjustments.

What experience do people have with these?

Thanks
    Last edited by skvinson; May 25th, 2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Addition

I've the C-TAC every since they were first introduced. What can I say, it wears, rides and performs great, feels like plastic. Call Tucker for some comparison info, I did.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

INTJ,

Apparently you called Tucker and bought C-TAC ... what made you choose that way?

eww
    I us a Comp-Tac Gurkha with my Kimber Ultra II. Carry at 3 O'Clock. The only time it is uncomforable is sitting down in the car. Once I am in the seat it is fine.

skvinson, first off welcome. I would suggest that you use the "search function" a bit and you will find lots of info there.
    I have the Comp-tac Infidel in the Gurkha configuration. It is a very nice holster as is the CTAC.

The holster that I really like though is the K&D Holsters (http://kdholsters.com) Cochise Defender ( http://kdholsters.com/basefile/iwb-defend.html ). It is built a lot like the Comp-tac CTAC, but the holster is made out of leather. It is an awesome holster. It is tops in workmanship, quality and price!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Ron,

Thanks for the input. Since you have both kydex & leather - how do they compare? E.g., Is the leather holster squeaky? Does the kydex rub your skin more?

The leather is not squeaky at all. The Kydex does not really bother me or rub my skin, but in the end it is a plastic type material. The leather will, in time, conform some to your body, the Kydex, will not.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I bought a Ky-tac Bravehart for an SA Ultra Compact Hi-cap I use to own. I was less than thrilled (both with the level of service and the holster itself).
    Jack

I have a CompTac Infidel like Ront and I love it. I'm waiting on a CTAC and will be using whichever is better of those two.

I like Kydex but I suggest a tshirt between you and your holster whether it's leather or Kydex.

Good luck!

P.S. Great Customer Service at CompTac!

The C-T.A.C.'s a great holster. I've used one for my EDC the past six months and I recently bought a second for my new EDC pistol. Comp-Tac's also a great company to buy from with excellent customer service.

For those with Comp-Tac's, what effect are they having on the finish of your gun (especially compared to any leather holsters you might have used)?

None so far but understand that no matter what you use it will eventually mark up the weapon. Comptac says that Kydex marks the slide "less" due to the fact that leather can trap grit.

Hmmm.........

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    I have a CompTac Infidel like Ront and I love it. I'm waiting on a CTAC and will be using whichever is better of those two.

I like Kydex but I suggest a tshirt between you and your holster whether it's leather or Kydex.

Good luck!

P.S. Great Customer Service at CompTac!
    I currently have a Blade Tech IWB for my Ultra Carry and a Comp-Tac
    Infidel with the Ghurka setup like Ron. The Comp-Tac is much more comfortable. I still plan on going with a Tucker Answer wen I get more funds saved up though.

+1 on the undershirt. I went to Academy and bought a few Under Armour copies made by BCG for ~$12 each. They work much better than a regular cotton T-shirt in the Texas heat and they fit your body very snug and are slick so no way your gun can catch on them when drawing.
    Kimber Ultra Carry - CT Lasergrips
    Glock 19, 21SF, 29
    KelTec P3AT
    Built M4 Carbine - My Evil Black Rifle

Thanks. I'll check out the undershirts. I'm in AZ, so finding one that is not going to add significantly to the heat is important.

BTW, I called K&D. Kevin was great. I ordered a Dakota Defender. (Sort of like a Tucker Answer, but all leather.) The only problem - I have to wait 8-10 weeks. I don't really have another holster to get me by until then. (Just a VERY cheap Galco.) I'm going to look around for a used Comp-Tac (for Commander 1911 - prefer CTAC, but would take any model) to get me by until then.

Check ebay, there's usually something on there that'll at least get you by until a custom order comes in.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links