Supported Belly Band

This is a discussion on Supported Belly Band within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am brand new to the forum. This looks like the perfect place to discuss something with which I have been experimenting. I am ...

Thread: Supported Belly Band

Supported Belly Band

Hi, I am brand new to the forum. This looks like the perfect place to discuss something with which I have been experimenting. I am looking a deep concealing of large revolvers. I have a 6" barrel .22 (H&R sportsman) that I have been using to test the idea. This gun is about 12" long, 5" high (grip to sight) and 1.4" wide at the grip.

I have been putting in a $5 belly band on the off side with the barrel down below the belt line as far as practical without interfering with sitting down. I have been using an untucked polo but a tucked button down should work just as well. With a fairly loose shirt this seem to be completely invisible and is still relatively quick into action for a deep concealment situation. I was surprised at how well it worked actually. In the final analysis the gun to be used will probably be only 10.5" OAL but also a couple tenths wider.

There are a couple of downsides to this including the fact that the all elastic band often rolls over. Not a big deal but somewhat uncomforatable. Also it tends to shift in angle somewhat. I would also like some protection from my sweat.

The modifications that I think would help would be the inclusion of a leather pouch to protect the gun and a leather (instead of elastic) girdle with elastic and velcro section over the pouch. I would include shoulder straps also to keep the girdle from settling lower.

Has anyone ever seen something on that order? Any general comments on the idea?

I suppose I could learn leather working and make one up. ;)

mike

2. Remove Ads

This one might work a little better, at least it has shoulder support.
    http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holster-shoulder.html

Welcome...

from Central Florida!
    You may want to consider a smaller EDC (everyday carry) and an IWB (in the waistband) holster of some type...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mmm...that's a whole lotta shootin' iron and not much bullet for a daily carry gun. I do understand economic considerations though! Some can go out almost daily and get new guns, and some have to make due with what they've got (me included). I'd +1 the gunnersecurity suggestion--considering one of those myself.

If I dare suggest such a thing to someone who appears to be a died-in-the-wool wheelgunner, and if you're able to spend any money, a Glock 17 will get you 19 or even 20 rounds of a much more able cartrige in a smaller package...and accessories abound. Just my $.02.

Welcome to DC--good folk here!

Thanks for the link retsup, that is exactly what I had in mind except that I would have used some leather and most importantly I would like a leather pouch so that the sights and hammer would not catch on the elastic on drawing.

Thanks for the input sjp. Right now I only have the sportsman and a Davis .38 derringer. From range experience I know that the Davis is pretty much a crap shoot in the accuracy dept beyond 5 feet. I figure that for now 8 .22s that I can hit with beats two .38s that might not land anywhere near the BG. :-)

That said I would like to get something with a bit more bite when I have some money (have only $25 saved so far :-{ ). Haven't yet decided whether it will be a squirrel gun, deer gun, or both. :-)

I am trying another experiment today. I have the sportsman in a belt holster with the belly band folded over and fed through the loop. Other than the squeaks it is almost equally well concealed. An IWB design would work better I am sure. I tried putting it on backward on the wrong side to check but the pouch is fairly low on the loop making it difficult to get the gun out. As I have it now it comes out quickly and quite slickly.

Thanks again guys.

mike

Lead Moderator
    If you have the belly band for it and just want a holster insert, I have a K frame S&W mold and work in kydex. Not sure if a K frame would work or not for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks Rocky/ I am not sure what I will end up using in the long run so I don't know if that would work or not.

mike

Links