Supported Belly Band

Supported Belly Band

This is a discussion on Supported Belly Band within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am brand new to the forum. This looks like the perfect place to discuss something with which I have been experimenting. I am ...

Thread: Supported Belly Band

Supported Belly Band

Hi, I am brand new to the forum. This looks like the perfect place to discuss something with which I have been experimenting. I am looking a deep concealing of large revolvers. I have a 6" barrel .22 (H&R sportsman) that I have been using to test the idea. This gun is about 12" long, 5" high (grip to sight) and 1.4" wide at the grip.

I have been putting in a $5 belly band on the off side with the barrel down below the belt line as far as practical without interfering with sitting down. I have been using an untucked polo but a tucked button down should work just as well. With a fairly loose shirt this seem to be completely invisible and is still relatively quick into action for a deep concealment situation. I was surprised at how well it worked actually. In the final analysis the gun to be used will probably be only 10.5" OAL but also a couple tenths wider.

There are a couple of downsides to this including the fact that the all elastic band often rolls over. Not a big deal but somewhat uncomforatable. Also it tends to shift in angle somewhat. I would also like some protection from my sweat.

The modifications that I think would help would be the inclusion of a leather pouch to protect the gun and a leather (instead of elastic) girdle with elastic and velcro section over the pouch. I would include shoulder straps also to keep the girdle from settling lower.

Has anyone ever seen something on that order? Any general comments on the idea?

I suppose I could learn leather working and make one up. ;)

mike

This one might work a little better, at least it has shoulder support.
    http://www.gunnersecurity.com/holster-shoulder.html

Senior Moderator

Welcome...

from Central Florida!
    You may want to consider a smaller EDC (everyday carry) and an IWB (in the waistband) holster of some type...

OMO

ret
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Mmm...that's a whole lotta shootin' iron and not much bullet for a daily carry gun. I do understand economic considerations though! Some can go out almost daily and get new guns, and some have to make due with what they've got (me included). I'd +1 the gunnersecurity suggestion--considering one of those myself.

If I dare suggest such a thing to someone who appears to be a died-in-the-wool wheelgunner, and if you're able to spend any money, a Glock 17 will get you 19 or even 20 rounds of a much more able cartrige in a smaller package...and accessories abound. Just my $.02.

Welcome to DC--good folk here!

Thanks for the link retsup, that is exactly what I had in mind except that I would have used some leather and most importantly I would like a leather pouch so that the sights and hammer would not catch on the elastic on drawing.

Thanks for the input sjp. Right now I only have the sportsman and a Davis .38 derringer. From range experience I know that the Davis is pretty much a crap shoot in the accuracy dept beyond 5 feet. I figure that for now 8 .22s that I can hit with beats two .38s that might not land anywhere near the BG. :-)

That said I would like to get something with a bit more bite when I have some money (have only $25 saved so far :-{ ). Haven't yet decided whether it will be a squirrel gun, deer gun, or both. :-)

I am trying another experiment today. I have the sportsman in a belt holster with the belly band folded over and fed through the loop. Other than the squeaks it is almost equally well concealed. An IWB design would work better I am sure. I tried putting it on backward on the wrong side to check but the pouch is fairly low on the loop making it difficult to get the gun out. As I have it now it comes out quickly and quite slickly.

Thanks again guys.

mike

Lead Moderator
    If you have the belly band for it and just want a holster insert, I have a K frame S&W mold and work in kydex. Not sure if a K frame would work or not for you.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks Rocky/ I am not sure what I will end up using in the long run so I don't know if that would work or not.

mike

Sponsored Links