Kydex for CCW ? Is it too loud ?

This is a discussion on Kydex for CCW ? Is it too loud ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys. I just got a Kydex holster for my G23 and like it. Holds well, comfy, fast to clear. However, I'm not sure if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kydex for CCW ? Is it too loud ?

Kydex for CCW ? Is it too loud ?

Hi guys.
    I just got a Kydex holster for my G23 and like it. Holds well, comfy, fast to clear.

However, I'm not sure if I would like it for CCW. It really makes a definite "clunk" when removing the firearm. There may be times when it's important to unholster quietly - like when a BG is not directing his threats/actions at you directly. That noise seems to be a bit of a giveaway. Even if the BG doesn't know what that "clunk" is, it may draw attention and I never like attention.

Thoughts on this ? Valid concern ? No big deal ? Am I just a luddite leather guy ?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I had not considered that I admit .. I used a Fobus way back when P95 was my carry and it did need what I called an ''inertial'' draw ... fast and snappy - with noise!.

So yeah - could be the sound aspect is significant and of some importance. Yes, I think I'd agree a valid concern - seeing as a draw from leather is effectively silent. One never knows!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I don't know what brand of kydex holster you have, but my Comp Tac is silent if you draw slowly.

The weapon needs to come out lightning fast in 99.9999999% of the situations I would ever find myself in. Kydex excels in that regard, and I would not consider the situations that fall in the .0000001% where leather may be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    I don't know what brand of kydex holster you have, but my Comp Tac is silent if you draw slowly.
    +1
    I have a C-Tac for my g23 and its a great holster. I carry it 8-10 hrs a day and I can never notice it.

Noise? Not a problem...
    I'm not going to be pulling my weapon from the holster unless there is going to be a lot of noise...the holster 'squeak' won't be noticed...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Unless you are not being careful, I don't think the noise will be noticed. My Serpa doesn't seem all that noisy, although the Fobus did make more noise on the draw.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I'm with retsupt99, everyone will forget the sound your holster makes once they hear you G-23 explode!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I've thought about this as well...drill on slow & silent draws making good use of your thumb to deaden movements (like overcoming the retention "click") but don't worry about it too much. But if it really bothers you, get leather. Better to be completely comfortable & confident than to have a nagging thought always lingering.

My Blade Tech can be drawn either way, but even in "noise mode" it isn't very loud. Had a Fobus years ago, what a POS, you couldn't get the gun out without yanking on it and it still wouldn't come out without a struggle.
    Be safe..

Not that this directly applies to the tactical nature of your question, but it's an amusing incident:

A couple weeks ago I was taking a class at an outdoor range. I had active hearing protection on, and since we were outside and in a large group, I had them turned up higher than normal to hear the instructor.

So waiting my turn in the queue behind the firing line, I hear the tell tale clack-click of kydex right behind me. I spin around ready to come down with both feet on the guy behind me for handling his gun behind the line, but he's just standing there, arms crossed.

I realized that it was so dead quiet at that moment that the headphones had amplified the drawstroke of the active shooter 20 some feet away! It was such a normally quiet sound, percieved as so loud, that my brain was convinced it was right on top of me.

Joe

Administrator
    Fobus is quite loud "drawing from" as well as reholstering.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Unless you are not being careful, I don't think the noise will be noticed. My Serpa doesn't seem all that noisy, although the Fobus did make more noise on the draw.
    I agree, I switched over to Serpa a couple week ago.
    Not only quieter, you don't have to snatch the pistol out. Just push the button and ease out the pistol.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Do they make a Kydex style holster lined with Nylon or such to prevent holster wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Smith&Wessonfan View Post
    Comp-tac may or may not have an audible click on the draw, it depends on the tightness of the the tension screws and how much "click" it was built with (trigger guard). They will actually build it according to your preference. I like mine with a lot of click. FWIW, Comp-tac's GM once explained to me that they generally build their holsters for polymer framed pistols with more click. The holster for my one aluminum framed carry gun has almost no click at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Do they make a Kydex style holster lined with Nylon or such to prevent holster wear?
    Nylon causes holster wear as well. Everything does.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I use CompTac's IWB C-Tac and OWB SetCant. The C-Tac is very quiet on the draw as previously mentioned. The OWB is a little noisy, but I drag my trigger finger on the kydex sheath when drawing if I want to reduce the sound to almost nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links