differences between k&D dakota and cochise

This is a discussion on differences between k&D dakota and cochise within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am thinking of getting one of these beautiful holsters for my xd 45 compact and was wondering what the difference in the holsters are?...

i am thinking of getting one of these beautiful holsters for my xd 45 compact and was wondering what the difference in the holsters are?

VIP Member
    I know the Cochise can be used IWB or OWB..

VIP Member
    I won't try to speak for Kevin, but the obvious differences are as follows: Cochise has reinforced throat, Dakota does not. Dakota comes with suede-lined backing, Cochise does not. Cochise is available for medium to full size auto and revolvers, Dakota is available for small, medium, and full size autos.

I am sure there are some less obvious differences and probably some concerning the clips as well, but Kevin will have to address those.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I got a Dakota because all I do is IWB. For that the Dakota is a slimmer design and the suede is a big plus.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I went the Cochise route for the reinforced throat, allows one handed reholstering, a nice feature for range time.

Send Kevin a PM or e-mial him throug his website, tell him what you are looking for, He will hook you up.

"fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I posed the same question to K-Man and dr_cmg got all of differences that were given to me except that The Cochise can also be worn OWB. I went with the Dakota because I so seldom carry OWB. It is also slimmer without the reinforced throat.

I asked Kevin about the throat on the Dakota and decided to go wit hit. After using it the leather is plenty stiff enough to reholster one handed with no problems.

thanks the big plus I found out is that the dakota is more tuckable. I have to dress as a professional and need the abiltiy ot tuck in my shirt. I think the cochise nicer looking to my eye but form follows function.

Kevin's great about custom stuff--he spent a lot of time on the phone with me to make sure I'd get what I wanted...and I did.

+1 to what sjp2452 said. It does not take long on the phone with Kevin to get the feeling that he really loves what he is doing and he is there to make you happy the best that he can!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Order soon because Kevin's lead time is going to go up! With quality work like that and great customer service to boot, it's inevitable.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

+1 on that semperfi.45. Kevin does very high quality work at a very affordable price AND has great customer service! Having all of that in one place these days is rare.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

turbo93:

We often get the same question, as the two holsters look very similar to one another. The folks who have responded here have touched on most of the differences. Here are what those differences are:

- The Cochise Defender is a bit more versatile of a holster. It can be worn IWB or OWB, simply by moving the clips to the other side of the holster; the Dakota is strictly IWB.

- The Dakota has less leather, so it's a bit thinner overall and molds to the shape of the body quicker/sooner.

-The Dakota has more room to tuck material between the body of the holster and the clips. You can tuck some material in between on the Cochise, just not as much.

- The Dakota Defender has the sweat guard panel incorporated into the holster. It's simply an extension of the backside of the holster that comes up and covers that portion of the gun back to the hammer/end of the slide, and it does cover the safety. The sweat guard is available on the Cochise Defender as well, but there is an additional cost of $5.00.

- The Dakota Defender does have the suede lining on the back; whereas the Cochise Defender does not.

- The Cochise Defender does have the additional overlay piece of leather, which aids in the reholstering of the gun; the Dakota Defender does not have that.

- The Cochise Defender is made for the medium to large size autos, and revolvers. The Dakota Defender is for the medium to large size autos, but no revolvers.

We have done some modifications to either holster, i.e., putting the "spacers" on the front of the Cochise, putting the suede lining on the backside of the Cochise, making the Dakota without the suede lining. And, of course, we can add exotic skins to either holster.

I hope this information has helped. Feel free to ask here or contact me if you have any other questions.

Yeah, what he said.

Having "said" that I ordered a Dakota 5 weeks ago so I'm about halfway there.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by K-Man View Post
    turbo93:

We often get the same question, as the two holsters look very similar to one another. The folks who have responded here have touched on most of the differences. Here are what those differences are:

- The Cochise Defender is a bit more versatile of a holster. It can be worn IWB or OWB, simply by moving the clips to the other side of the holster; the Dakota is strictly IWB.

- The Dakota has less leather, so it's a bit thinner overall and molds to the shape of the body quicker/sooner.

-The Dakota has more room to tuck material between the body of the holster and the clips. You can tuck some material in between on the Cochise, just not as much.

- The Dakota Defender has the sweat guard panel incorporated into the holster. It's simply an extension of the backside of the holster that comes up and covers that portion of the gun back to the hammer/end of the slide, and it does cover the safety. The sweat guard is available on the Cochise Defender as well, but there is an additional cost of $5.00.

- The Dakota Defender does have the suede lining on the back; whereas the Cochise Defender does not.

- The Cochise Defender does have the additional overlay piece of leather, which aids in the reholstering of the gun; the Dakota Defender does not have that.

- The Cochise Defender is made for the medium to large size autos, and revolvers. The Dakota Defender is for the medium to large size autos, but no revolvers.

We have done some modifications to either holster, i.e., putting the "spacers" on the front of the Cochise, putting the suede lining on the backside of the Cochise, making the Dakota without the suede lining. And, of course, we can add exotic skins to either holster.

I hope this information has helped. Feel free to ask here or contact me if you have any other questions.

thank you Kevin I ordered the Dakota today and did email you with some questions regarding the exotic skins to prettify the Dakota a bit. I was wondering how that would look and the prices and wear characteristics of the exotics. The other question is that I want the holster for my xd 45 compact but also own a 9 mm sc which is shorter and slightly less wide is it realistic to think that I may get both to fit? I intend this holster primarily for the 45 and do not want ot comprimise on that issue. I look forward to speaking to you over email or other. David
    Last edited by turbo93; May 30th, 2007 at 06:24 PM.

Links