Anyone ever try ClipDraw?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever try ClipDraw? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like to keep things simple. Right now I use an Uncle Mike's belt slide holster. I use it by attaching my belt over it, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever try ClipDraw?

I like to keep things simple. Right now I use an Uncle Mike's belt slide holster. I use it by attaching my belt over it, which places the slide between my belt and my pants. The guns seem to be held very tightly this way. Wearing the slide on top of the belt allows the grips to hang outward a bit much as the holster ages. I used to simply buy new slides from Uncle Mikey, but they have cheapened the slide to the point of uselessness. The gun is no longer sandwiched between the two folds of the slide, but instead there is a small cloth pocket only large enough to hold the gun muzzle. Ridiculous.

I'm looking at the clip on this site.

http://www.clipdraw.com/

It looks like the gun would flop around quite a bit with this clip. (?)

I have bought more expensive holsters, but as they age - and they do rather quickly, the dang guns flop around and print terribly through a shirt. I'm tired of wasting big bucks on junk.

I might add, I don't like IWB holsters. I'm retired and dress however I want, so I can wear my Tony Soprano sport shirts outside the pants at all times.

I tried them on a Ruger Service Six and j-frame. Worked okay, but regular holster is much more secure. If you're not moving around a lot it gets the job done. I wouldn't try it between the belt and pants though.

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I'm tired of wasting big bucks on junk.
    You sound like a traditionalist, and you may knee-jerk to this, but: try kydex. BladeTech is excellent. StellarRigs has a stellar reputation,though I have not tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    I tried them on a Ruger Service Six and j-frame. Worked okay, but regular holster is much more secure. If you're not moving around a lot it gets the job done. I wouldn't try it between the belt and pants though.
    Nah, no reason to. I wear untucked shirts, so they'll cover it. I really don't care for IWB stuff. I can see, though, were they would be needed at times.

Thanks

I've got one on a Snubby and find that the pistol wears a sore spot on my love handle pretty quick without a proper holster.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    You sound like a traditionalist, and you may knee-jerk to this, but: try kydex. BladeTech is excellent. StellarRigs has a stellar reputation,though I have not tried them.
    Traditionalist? Nah, just an ornery ol' fart.

I can't bring up the StellarRigs site.

The BladeTech site I did see. There are a couple there that I think I might try. I'm kinda getting convinced that I might need to give up on the leather stuff and go with one of those modern, stiff materials. I've had bad luck with leather just getting old and floppy. Much like what happens to us old geezers.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I can't help but think that ClipDraw is just one step above "Mexican carry", and would be neither comfortable nor secure.

If you don't like IWB, I think you'd HATE ClipDraw...

Administrator
    My opinion is that the ClipDraw (the one that fits under the grip panel) on the 1911 positions the firearm up a bit to high for me to consider it to feel 100% secure.
    At least on the Commander it just does not feel like it allows the firearm to sit quite low enough inside the pants.
    For that reason I give the traditional 1911 ClipDraw my personal "thumbs down" for the Colt Lightweight & Combat Commander.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If the trigger isn't covered...it isn't safe!

OMO

To each his own...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Kydex would be one option, but it doesn't sound like you've bought quality leather holsters.

I hope that doesn't come off wrong, but since you're not into IWB, I'ld agree that kydex would work just fine for you.

Stellar rigs customer relations is great. I tried a pocket holster of theirs for my Kahr PM9. It didn't work quite like what I believed a SD pocket holster should work & called the owner. He was real good about it & recommended that I try it for a week & get "used" to it. He said if I still didn't like it, I could return it for a full refund because he said, he'd rather have his holsters returned than sitting in a drawer someplace.

I gave it an honest try & returned it. He returned my money plus shipping. If I ever need something that he offers, I'll buy from him. His site is: www.stellarrigs.com
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I have been using my clipdraw daily for about 2 years (I am currently dressed in a suit and tie so my carry method will be changing as soon as I take delivery on my "UCComfort" Tank and "The CCW Shirt".)

I am carrying a 1911 cocked an locked and I see no safety issue at all for the following reasons:
    --3 things would have to happen at the correct time for an accidental discharge. The safety would need to be bumped off, the grip safety would need to be depressed completely and the trigger would need to be moved to the point of firing.

I believe the odds of those things happening WITHOUT my hand being involved in the process is nil. AND if my hand is involved then an AD can not be blamed on the clipdraws safety or lack there of. It can only be blamed on my operator error of having my finger on the trigger when I do not intend to fire.

With all that said accidents can happen BUT at least with my gun I believe I would have to be the one at fault.

With all that said I have to admit that a friend of mine who is also a combat handgun trainer told me that an AD could happen under the following conditions which could be akin to falling and hitting the top edge of the hammer (of the 1911 with the safety on) on a very hard surface. He stated that if you took an object (like a rock or a hammer) and hit the end of the guns hammer (EVEN with the safety on and no finger on the trigger or the grip safety depressed) you could cause the hammer to fall causing a discharge.

I believe the odds of this happening are VERY slim but I am open minded enough to tell you all what was related to me in an unbiased manner.

Hope this helps. I will continue to carry my 1911 w/ the clipdraw when I am not using one of the new shirts.
    Cork

The 2nd amendment doesnít mean you have to own a firearm It insures you can. It gives you the ability to protect yourself and your loved ones when the Government canít. PLEASE REMEMBER KATRINA and VIRGINIA TECH the next time you vote!!!

I bought one to give it a try on my Glock. Conclusion was that I prefer a holster.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Yup.

It lasted a day.

No thanks.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

VIP Member
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

First I say that a holster is best, but a Clipdraw has its uses. I have used a Clipdraw (CD) on Glocks and 1911's.

The Clip Draw for the Glock works great so long as you use a Safe-T-Block with it. I would strongly recommed against Glock IWB with a CD with the stock trigger weight. With the stock connector and an Olive spring its a safer option.

As for 1911's, the universal CD is best for short barrels under 4". The 3" barrel is too short to counter balance the grip weight for IWB carry of a 1911. The universal clip grips much tighter than the 1911 CD and helps keep the short barrel down in the pants where it belongs.

I once tried the 1911 specific CD with a 3" 1911 and the thing just about jumped out of my pants when I sat down or hitched up my pants. After trying it out around the house for a day, I decided to venture out into public where Murphy lurks. My 3" 1911 almost dropped to the floor while pushing a shopping cart at Sams. Thankfully I regained control under a baggy t-shirt and no one was there to see the look of surprise and shock on my face. It was almost the nightmare which many of us have who do not carry a badge to explain ourselves. I was lucky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links