Best Fanny Pack Holster?

This is a discussion on Best Fanny Pack Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ExSoldier762 In a place like Miami, Florida (my home) folks don't give my medium sized blue fanny pack a second look, not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Fanny Pack Holster?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    In a place like Miami, Florida (my home) folks don't give my medium sized blue fanny pack a second look, not even the cops. Folks aren't that observant here. Also absent some sort of perception of an imminent threat, I think most folks would consider this type of unwanted attention to be well....rude and an invasion of privacy. I think that fanny pack carry in warm areas especially in the deep south and Texas in the concentrated heat of the summer months makes total sense. I'll take a stable, secure and reliable draw over a pocket draw everytime.
    I agree. We have now had several weeks over 110 degrees (several days officially 114-115) and in the last week I registered 118 degrees on one stretch of my commute. And, it's not always "a dry heat". We have been bumping 30% humidity which, when added to 115 degrees is high on the miserable scale. A fanny pack, is in fact, the best way to carry. Not ideal mind you, but in the heat, it's better than wearing two layers. And when not working, I wear shorts which aren't very good for pocket carrying unless I want my shorts down around my ankles (and I usually don't.)
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

Come on Bumper, I don't know about you, but until it gets over 110 degrees I don't even think about wearing shorts!

DC Founder
    LOL, well on weekends, I often wear shorts all year. I really don't mind the "pure heat" but when you add the humidity to it i get pretty surly. The good news is, the evaporation of water from my pool is now under control with the humidity. I was losing over an inch a day before. Only problem now is all of the dust, another good reason for fanny pack. Again, this mode of carry is far from ideal, to me, but sometimes it works pretty well.
    Bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    ...And, it's not always "a dry heat". We have been bumping 30% humidity which, when added to 115 degrees is high on the miserable scale...
    Hmm. That would make a heat index of about 135. I have recipes that call for cooking beef tenderloin to that temperature.

It was 94, here, today. 72% humidity. 30% still sounds like 'dry heat' to me...
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    Hmm. That would make a heat index of about 135. I have recipes that call for cooking beef tenderloin to that temperature.

It was 94, here, today. 72% humidity. 30% still sounds like 'dry heat' to me...
    You're right of course, when compared to many other areas of the country, but here, it's miserable....
    Bumper

Administrator

Thumbs up Please Remember

Your belt selection is nearly if not "as" important as whatever fine holster you select. The Brommeland COMBAT DRESS BELTS are the finest available for both appearance and perfect function.

camelbak is currently selling a CCW fanny pack with built in hydration. It is called the goblin. I find the name a little ironic.

The design is very low key though. Not likely to attract much attention.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    As many of you said, you have have different options for different situation. I wouldn't rule out a fanny pack, especially in the summer. If find it real hard to come up with a "cover garment" for summer wear. Either it's too hot to have a second shirt or vest on, or I have to "tuck" my shirt due to lifestyle issues.

When I go fishing in the summer I wear a lightweight vest and my gun fits the pockets easily and that seems natural because of what I'm doing and how I'm dressed. I'm learning you have to have a number of options.

If you're trully going to be a one gun guy and it's a big gun, then you'l have to dress accordingly and that means being uncomfortable sometimes. If you don't mind using different guns, you might range from pocket carry, to vest, to fanny pack to IWB or OWB with various weapons and at different times so you can maintain a constant presense of at least one gun. I guess it's like anything else, it's all about choices....

God Bless and have a great weekend!

Gideon

I know that I am coming in at the tail end of this thread but the idea that "fanny pack screams gun" sure does not hold in my part of the world. I live 25 miles or so west of Portland, Oregon and we are blessed with many high tech firms; Intel, Fujitsu, and a bunch more. So many of the men and women who work for these firms are "geeks" (a term I use with the utmost of respect) and many, many of them use fanny packs as a daily part of their work attire. Was at lunch the other day and there were 25 to 30 guys and gals in the restaurant and all were wearing a fanny pack. If they were all "carrying" in their fanny packs that little restaurant was one of the most highly armed places in Oregon - but I just don't believe that at all. Here a fanny pack just screams PDA, Small Computer, etc.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I have a slightly different problem. I teach nursing classes four nights a week. I ride my motorcycle to work and cannot carry inside the building. To do so risks my permit. I can however, carry to the parking lot, since it's a private school in an office complex. Therefore, I carry in a fanny pack and remove that in the lot and put it into a lockable trunk on the back of the bike. Noone sees the gun by carrying this way.
    I use a fabric pack from
    www.GunGear.com.
    This compromise works OK for me. No problems so far. I carry my Ruger to school, because there is a possibility of theft from the bike and I'd hate to loose one of my HK's. The Ruger is very reliable and much cheaper to replace.

Aus
    The "Tommy's" is being carried by Wilson. They are currently on backorder.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Dove
    camelbak is currently selling a CCW fanny pack with built in hydration. It is called the goblin. I find the name a little ironic.

The design is very low key though. Not likely to attract much attention.

LOL The first thing I thought of with that little tube coming out of it was that it might be some sort of new portable stealth colostomy bag!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Try blackhawk or uncle mikes .I have an uncle mike looks like a regular fanny pack. merlin45kout

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links