Internal Stiffeners for 1.25" belts?

Internal Stiffeners for 1.25" belts?

This is a discussion on Internal Stiffeners for 1.25" belts? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some advice from those using 1.25" gunbelts. Do you advise one of those internal stiffeners for a belt as narrow as this? Was looking ...

Thread: Internal Stiffeners for 1.25" belts?

Post Internal Stiffeners for 1.25" belts?

Need some advice from those using 1.25" gunbelts. Do you advise one of those internal stiffeners for a belt as narrow as this? Was looking at "The Belt Man's" website, and wondering if his thickness belt is sufficient without one of these. Currently using about a 1 3/8 thinner belt, and looking for something better. Tried some Galco 1.5" belts and my local gunshop, and the width was a little uncomfortable for me. Plan on hanging a Sig 229 in a Galco Concealable holster, and just wondering if you think that the 1.25" would need a stiffener or not.
    Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I figure if I don't ask, I won't know from knowledgeable sources on this site. Thanks!

Rich(Mags)

The Galco "Concealable" holster you are planning on using has 1.5" belt slots - I have one myself (luv it!) and thus, you really should mount it on a 1.5" belt to minimize shifting of the holster on the belt. But if your circumstances require you to use a 1.25" belt, a kydex stiffner will make a WORLD of difference! Call my friend Suzanne at Looper Leathergoods in Oklahoma City (1-800-299-5667). They make kydex lined leather belts and they can prolly make you one in 1.25" width. And their price is only $29.95! Such-a-deal!!!

Tell her Evan Lee sent you!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    A proper gunbelt, such as one from the belt man, isn't going to need a stiffener. I think the narrower belts (1.25") need it less than the wider ones. If you have a particularly large waist needing a rather long belt, it might be more necessary. But I think you'll be fine.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I use a 1.25 belt with dress slacks. The Galco Skyops holster is designed for a 1.25 width-too bad the clip doesn't accommodate a thicker belt (someone wasn't thinking here)

I have a Beltman "lizard" coming in 1.25 width w/stiffener.

Picture at @11:00
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I switched from a 5-stitch Wilderness Tactical belt in 1.25" to one with a plastic stiffener. It makes a big difference.

I don't think you would ever regret getting the stiffener, even on a double layer leather belt. I have a 1.25" model from TheBeltman (without the stiffener) and I think the stiffener would be a definite improvement.

Well, I guess "trial & error" it is. Just placed an order with TheBeltMan for a 1.25" belt without a stiffener so I'll just have to wait and see if the thickness alone can do the job. Seems that it should. So many good "leathermakers" that it's hard to choose. Thanks again guys for your responses/ advice.

Rich(Mags)

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Did you ask them about using a stiffener for the 1.25" belt? I could've sworn I read/heard that a good, gunbelt should not need one if it's narrow &/or of normal length. I had heard that the plus size ones are possibley better with them.

I was considering getting a brown leather belt, but just bought another (But dark brown) Liger belt.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

cockedlocked01,

No I didn't speak with him, just ordered off his website. I didn't consider my Sig 229 and Galco Concealable holster to be unduly heavy/topheavy, so I just went for the standard belt. What do you consider to be a normal/not normal length belt? I ordered mine perhaps a tad longer (46) to accomodate a magazine holder on my weak side if I decide to carry it that way. Like I said, it's trial and error for me, and his prices are so reasonable(IMO) that if somethings not exactly to my liking, I'll know the adjustments I have to make on my next order. I can always use good belts! It sure would have been nice to see a belt with a stiffener vs. one without at my local gun shops just to compare, but no such luck. I don't know what thickness the Galco belts are that I looked at, but they sure didn't seem to be a almost a inch thick.

Links