Shoulder Holsters - Yey or Nay?

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holsters - Yey or Nay? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was talking with a local Detective last week and asked him if he knew of anyone, on or off the force, who carries in a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Shoulder Holsters - Yey or Nay?

Was talking with a local Detective last week and asked him if he knew of anyone, on or off the force, who carries in a shoulder holster anymore. He said no. Yet, I find a SH comfortable for long drives and usually use one for that purpose. I've got a few from various makers. Alessi is the most comfortable imho. Miami Classic is a very close #2. Would like to get my hands on a good, used Monarch some day.
    What say you to SH's?
    Truckinbutch likes this.

For a few role it is very good holster ..But for others in terms of draw speed and not muzzling yourself not so good

For either very large guns or micro pistol it is a good idea also imop
    Chicagobill and LeanHard like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

If you like them, that's all that matters. I like them too but never wear a lot of outer garments. Also I find that people want to hug you or poke you in the ribs more when wearing one. Go figure.
    Macantic likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Used one for many years when flying in the military but now the only time I use one is on long drives. Mine are ancient (early 80s) Safariland upside down shoulder holsters, one for a 2-inch Detective Special and another for a 4-inch K frame S&W, very comfortable and secure.

Shoulder Holsters -  Yey or Nay?-p1010188.jpg Shoulder Holsters -  Yey or Nay?-steve-mcqueen-bullitt.jpg
    mjadams61 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse

MB53 ... As with all holsters and carry positions it really is a personal choice. If it works for you, carry on and if not, you just have another addition to your big box of "lonely holsters"
    Macantic likes this.
    I was taught to respect my elders! The problem is, I'm having a much harder time finding them these days .

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    If you like them, that's all that matters. I like them too but never wear a lot of outer garments. Also I find that people want to hug you or poke you in the ribs more when wearing one. Go figure.
    that's exactly why I quit wearing one,and the fact that I now live in florida.
    Last edited by Macantic; August 2nd, 2016 at 07:53 PM.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

You'll find most cops don't wear them for three main reasons: 1) they tend to tear out the lining in your suit coat; 2) range officers won't allow you to train with them since you point the muzzle exactly opposite of down range when re-holstering; and 3) we train with our duty weapons from the strong side (usually 3 o'clock position). The exception here is SWAT guys but they have their own training facility and shoot house and with repelling and climbing and zip-line need quick access to their pistol offered by SH.
    graydude likes this.

I love using shoulder rigs. Once it cools down enough to wear cover garments comfortably again I'll put them back to use.
    graydude and Goldy49 like this.

Just a matter of what works for you. I use a Sh when the weather get cooler. As a matter of fact I used to carry a Ruger gp100 in a Sh as a backup while hunting in upstate NY. For me, I found it to be the best way to carry in the woods. But personally, I can't stand to carry iwb. I find it to be the most uncomfortable way to carry a weapon. Just gets down to personal preference.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

I like options. I own a Galco Jackass shoulder holster and it works very well when on my motorcycle for long trips or if I'm in the car for a extended time frame. It carries my G21 with 2 spare magazines comfortably. For normal wear it's slower to draw and is less comfortable then on or in the waist band.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    "Responsibility is the price of freedom." -Elbert Hubbard

I rigged up a lower chest carry holster for carrying a second gun when I had to go into a bad situation. In case I was attacked by a gang I could draw both. My main carry is the LCP in the front pocket. The second gun was Hungarian 9mm. So I can see having a shoulder holster for certain reasons.

Don't worry, someday they will be back in style.

I bought a nice looking Galco Jackass Rig, the gun fits perfect (it also holds two extra magazines) and it is comfortable to wear, but concealing it (I live in Texas and its very hot right now) seems impossible. I have used it a few times during the winter when I can wear a Huge Jacket to conceal it, otherwise it is blatantly obvious I am packing when using it. Any kind of shirt or light sweater reveals I have two large humps on the side of my chest and it just doesn't work. If I lived up north where it was cold all the time and wearing a heavy jack was a necessity, I could see myself carrying it in the SH more often.

Therefore, I use an Alien Gear 2.0 IWB for daily carry at 3 O'clock. Hides it perfect and is just as comfortable.
    I carry a .45 acp Tactical CS Rock 1911 because it fires bullseye acquiring bullets.

There's a time and a place for them but may not be for everyone. I guess it's all a matter of preference, if it works for you I wouldn't be too concerned with much else.
    Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen. - Jeff Cooper

With the proliferation of concealed handgun carriers has come a proliferation of holster options. Some good, some no-so-much. My experience has been the same as several of the previous observations. Shoulder holsters are hot & bulky, IMHO, period. If the weather & driving circumstances negate those certainties, then the SH compromise may make sense. I lived in Houston for a few years. There was NEVER A TIME that city & shoulder holsters (to me)...went together.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links