K&D Cochise/Dakota Defender Versus Sparks VM2

This is a discussion on K&D Cochise/Dakota Defender Versus Sparks VM2 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at the VM2 and the Cochise defender they look about the same except that the defender has cant adjustment. Am I right here? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking at the VM2 and the Cochise defender they look about the same except that the defender has cant adjustment. Am I right here? I have a VM2 on order with about 5 months to go...if I can get basically the same thing plus adjustable cant cheaper and 3 months quicker I'd like too. Anyone have experience with both holsters? Are the sparks really worth the wait or is the K&D just as good or better with the cant adjustment? Thanks in advance!

You are correct about the Defender, it can be adjusted. I cant speak for the VM2 but I'm sure that alot of people here will openly vouch for both manufacturers. I ordered my Defender Feb/Mar timeframe and mine is in the mail as I write. Are either worth the wait? I think so or else I wouldnt have ordered one.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

I don't think that Kevin (K&D Holsters) is going to argue with you one bit as to how nice the VM2 is. I am sure that it is an awesome holster and someday, I might need to try one out. It has a very loyal following and obviously by the price and wait time involved in getting one, it is extremely popular. That said, I have the Cochise defender and I LOVE IT!! It is also a great holster that I love to wear. Build quality and workmanship is excellent and better customer service you will be hard pressed to find anywhere!
    Here are some pics of mine.

Ron

Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    I don't think that Kevin (K&D Holsters) is going to argue with you one bit as to how nice the VM2 is. I am sure that it is an awesome holster and someday, I might need to try one out. It has a very loyal following and obviously by the price and wait time involved in getting one, it is extremely popular. That said, I have the Cochise defender and I LOVE IT!! It is also a great holster that I love to wear. Build quality and workmanship is excellent and better customer service you will be hard pressed to find anywhere!
    Here are some pics of mine.

Ron

I actually "test drove" a VM2 for about a week. They are excellent quality and craftsmanship is outstanding. The thing rode very nice and felt good against my kiester. That being said, I am NOT going to order one. I personally think they are over rated, over priced, and I refuse to wait 6 months for one. I think the K&D Cochise Defender is ounce for ounce every bit as good as the VM2 - if not better. Of course - most guys that praise them are 1911 lovers and I don't have a desire for one of those either.

Hey Ront! Since you too are a polymer fan (like me) I doubt that you would find the $100 price tag prudent. That K&D you got right here is, IMO, more awesome looking than the VM2. If I decide to go with a K&D, I would rather have the leather loops instead of the clips though...that's just me! Of course...monkey has me convinced that Glocks BELONG in Kydex, so I'll prolly order a Comp-Tac anyway!

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I can't speak about the other one you mentioned, but the defender is IT. I have 2 of them. They are cant adjustable, the hooks move up and down as you wish them to do, they can be taken off and reversed so that it would make a great outside hanging holster. The mouth stays open, no problem re-holstering. You can not go wrong by ordering from K&D. FWIW
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Of course...monkey has me convinced that Glocks BELONG in Kydex, so I'll prolly order a Comp-Tac anyway!
    I have seen MANY pictures of Glocks in leather rigs. Glocks belong in what works and is comfortable to you.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

I agree the K&D from the pictures looks as every bit as good as the sparks. I'm worried about the sparks riding too high and not being able to adjust it.

The VMII to me is the best for IWB. I can't speak for K&D, but I do have an Eagle Defender on order which Im pretty sure is gonna be great.

What I like about the Sparks is the metal re-enforced mouth, to me it is important that it does not collapse. It rides perfect as far as height and cant and conceals great and is super comfortable. I do not think it is overrated at all, I think the price is fair. It works great and will last a long time. I have one for my HK USP compact and one for Kimber 1911 5".

Once I recieve my K&D I will be able to speak on them. Im sure both companies are just as good.

I think the important thing is getting the holster that has the features that you want and fits the requirements of your carry needs, whether it is K&D, Sparks, Alessi, etc.
    Last edited by Bowie; June 7th, 2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: forgot

I have two VM2s and I love them!! But, I have 7 holsters from Kevin and they are awesome!! I think they both have there place. Kevin is the nicest person to deal with - and its nice to have person to talk to to and discuss the product and what you would like to have done to it. I like to try alot of different holsters and have a sorta holster fetish. But, I always come back to K & D for his quality and for the kind of guy he is. You can't get much better than Kevin - he truly understands customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I have two VM2s and I love them!! But, I have 7 holsters from Kevin and they are awesome!! I think they both have there place. Kevin is the nicest person to deal with - and its nice to have person to talk to to and discuss the product and what you would like to have done to it. I like to try alot of different holsters and have a sorta holster fetish. But, I always come back to K & D for his quality and for the kind of guy he is. You can't get much better than Kevin - he truly understands customer service.
    !!!!!!!!!!!! I so agree with all that you said Kevin!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Well here is what i think i may do. I already ordered a beltman belt with velcro thinking that i would order a CTAC and use that until the VM2 came in. Now instead i'm thinking of ordering the defender in place of the CTAC(i'm not much for kydex except for open carry while hunting). Kinda wish i didn't order the velcro on the beltman now! Maybe i can tear it outta there if it is too thick and not used...or maybe i can order some velcro clips from Comptac for use with the defender if i wanna go tuckable(which will not be much).

Quote Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
    Well here is what i think i may do. I already ordered a beltman belt with velcro thinking that i would order a CTAC and use that until the VM2 came in. Now instead i'm thinking of ordering the defender in place of the CTAC(i'm not much for kydex except for open carry while hunting). Kinda wish i didn't order the velcro on the beltman now! Maybe i can tear it outta there if it is too thick and not used...or maybe i can order some velcro clips from Comptac for use with the defender if i wanna go tuckable(which will not be much).
    Call the Beltman and ask if you can modify your order. I changed mine less than a week before it was supposed to ship and it was no problem.

I am a MS VMII guy w/4 of 'em. I have also ordered a KD Defender because I wanted to be able to hang my gun from my gunbelt-not my pants.

I had to 'create' new clips for the VMII so that I can tuck my shirt and hang my holster from a belt. Shouldn't have to do that with a $102 holster.

I have not received my KD yet (5 wks so far). I will be able to comment when it arrives.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

My Glock rides in leather. For IDPA, I've got an OWB kydex holster that rides on a Wilderness built. Running around in the heat here in FL, it is just more comfortable for that activity, rather than having that leather up against you. But for everyday activities, I prefer the leather IWB carry. All a matter of personal preference. There is no rule carved in stone about what type gun can be carried in what type holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff_P239 View Post
    Call the Beltman and ask if you can modify your order. I changed mine less than a week before it was supposed to ship and it was no problem.
    I know he has started the belt today. Maybe i can catch him tomorrow. IF not i don't think the velcro should add any thickness to speak of. Probably just give me more options in the future. Heck maybe i'll just leave it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links