Suede Lining

Suede Lining

This is a discussion on Suede Lining within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My recollection is that suede is a no-no - it will attract grit, etc, and contribute to finish wear, corrosion, etc. I noted one respected ...

Thread: Suede Lining

Suede Lining

My recollection is that suede is a no-no - it will attract grit, etc, and contribute to finish wear, corrosion, etc. I noted one respected maker offers suede lining as standard. What is your opinion?

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    There's been discussion about suede lining and dirt collection, grit, finish wear, pitting, etc. Suede linings are generally chrome tanned, whereas the holster leather itself is vegetable tanned. It's my opinion that holster maintenance--like firearm maintenance--is the responsibility of the owner. That being said, if you don't clean your gun, you won't clean your holster. If you clean your gun, you'll clean your holster. And you won't store your gun in your holster.

In short, suede linings are fine if your weapon doesn't live in it 24/7. And like your weapon, you have to keep your holster clean.

Is there a good resource for holster maintenance? I thought I had heard some different things not to use on the holster. I should be getting my CrossBreed shortly and would love to be knowledgeable on how to maintain it.
    XD-40 SubCompact with OD Green frame

I will not use suede in any holster application whatsoever. It serves no effective beneficial purpose, and the problems that it causes are many.

As far as holster maintenance goes, any reputable maker should have care instructions either shipped with their product, or at least in the literature/website. Since we often use differing finish processes, it is best to follow the instructions of the guy who made it. Good luck!

Another problem with suede that is often not cited is that it has no structural stability or rigidness of it's own. What this essentially means is that it makes for a rather bulky holster. You cannot use a thinner piece of cowhide and line it with suede to equal the thickness of an unlined holster, or the holster will not be firm enough. You have to use the same thickness of leather, and then add the suede lining. This increases bulk and kills the possibility of getting things as detail molded as I prefer.
    This is why I use veg-tanned kangarro for my lined holsters.
    Roo is incredibly thin, but is one of the strongest, toughest leathers out there in terms of tensile strength, despite how thin it is. And it is super-smooth, smoother than cow-hide. I can step down one weight in leather, use kangaroo for a lining, and have a holster that is the exact thickness and equally as detail molded as it's unlined couterpart; and probably more durable by virtue of the roo lining.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

My own experience with, and objections to suede linings are that it gets dirty easily, makes the holster bulkier, and tends to tear. I would not buy another holster with suede lining.

Jerry

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    So, what's the purpose of suede lining? A cheap way of trying to make the holster smoother inside?

Doesn't suede also retain moisture far more than regular leather?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

You mean... ... they ....actually kill kangaroos?

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    So, what's the purpose of suede lining? A cheap way of trying to make the holster smoother inside?

Doesn't suede also retain moisture far more than regular leather?
    IMHO, suede linings are a cheap way to drive the price up on a poor quality holster...

So what exactly is the difference between a leather lined holster and unlined, is one just rough inside and one has smooth leather inside like the outside of the holster?

If you live in an extremely humid region (like Oklahoma) the suede lining will actually GRAB your weapon when you are trying to draw it! This has happened to me several times recently with my duty holster - Safariland 6280 - during training, luckily.

I will soon be switching to Kydex just that very reason.

Suede belongs on shoes, blue that is.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Links