Blackhawk Serpa

This is a discussion on Blackhawk Serpa within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have one??? Especially for a J-frame...curious as to opinions on concealability, comfort etc....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa

Blackhawk Serpa

Anyone have one??? Especially for a J-frame...curious as to opinions on concealability, comfort etc.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

I got one for a Glock 22 - LOVE IT!

Lead Moderator
    I have 1 for a 1911. I like the paddle feature best, seems to hold the holster the closer.
    Some trainers have complained the release can get jammed with a pebble. never tried it myself, but love the retention feature.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    I got one for a Glock 22 - LOVE IT!
    I bought the very same holster, for the very same gun.

Loved it so much I got their DUTY holster for it, too. And its awesomeness is even greater!

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I love it for my Sig 226

I have one for my Glock 19, very functional.

I have one for my USPc, and one for my XD; also used one for my issued M9 for a while (sold that one when I got issued a rifle instead). Outstanding design, very innovative, have had zero problems with it.

Personally anything that has the retention release over the trigger is not a good idea. I have seen one and heard of many more unintentional discharges coming out of the Serpas during the draw. The Georgia Public Safety Training Center has banned their use due to this.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Training issue? I've seen two. One coming out Safariland 070 (Gold Dot into thigh...bad) and one going into a carry lock (Gold Dot grazed ass). It's all about what's between the ears and a straight trigger finger, isn't it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    Personally anything that has the retention release over the trigger is not a good idea. I have seen one and heard of many more unintentional discharges coming out of the Serpas during the draw. The Georgia Public Safety Training Center has banned their use due to this.
    Got any links for me to look at? I'd be interested in reading more about those.

I have a couple and really love them. they are secure and the release is in a very natural place as the index finger should be straight along the holster at that place anyway.

but I have no personal experience with the one for the j-frames. I know that a few guys at the shop use them and love them, but they usually open carry there.

I have one for my USPc.

Mine came with both a belt loop and a paddle attachment.

Imagine, if only connected to your belt, the stability of the holster is subject to the amount your belt will give. That is, it can sag if your belt isn't sturdy and tight. The paddle option uses more your body (your hip) for stability. So, I agree with rocky that the paddle is probably better at keeping it close and stable.

As far as concealability, I find it stays fairly close to the body and a jacket or a vest is adequate for concealing it.

I find it quick and easy to use as well as safe. The retention release button lies exactly where my finger tends to go -- just above the trigger guard on the slide. In fact, there is no way to release the retention if your finger is anywhere else.

I think that some of the negligent discharges associated with the SERPA were probably more the fault of the shooter than the holster. Again, the button is situated such that your finger should end up in on the slide of the firearm -- not within the trigger guard. In addition, the button does not require much pressure to disengage the retention so if your finger is wandering towards the trigger, you're doing something wrong.

I think the CQC SERPA is a well designed and well made holster. I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Got any links for me to look at? I'd be interested in reading more about those.

I have a couple and really love them. they are secure and the release is in a very natural place as the index finger should be straight along the holster at that place anyway.

but I have no personal experience with the one for the j-frames. I know that a few guys at the shop use them and love them, but they usually open carry there.
    I posted some thread links on page one. I understand some of the shootings could have been prevented, and to Blackhawks Credit they made some changes to the original holsters.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Got 3-40XD-c, USP-C 40 and Colt Comm. All very nice, very slick draw and great retention. Not good, for me, in CCW.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Quote Originally Posted by FIREARMZ View Post
    I posted some thread links on page one. I understand some of the shootings could have been prevented, and to Blackhawks Credit they made some changes to the original holsters.
    I tried one of those links but I didn't want to register to read them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links