She's Finally Happy...

She's Finally Happy...

This is a discussion on She's Finally Happy... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It only took 32 years of marriage for my wife to decide to get her CCW. Another year to pick out a weapon...a S&W 637 ...

She's Finally Happy...

It only took 32 years of marriage for my wife to decide to get her CCW. Another year to pick out a weapon...a S&W 637 with CT laser sights...it sits in a drawer.

I bought IWB holsters for strong side and SOB...
    "It's too tight!"
    "It's not comfortable!"

I've tried getting her using the NAA .22LA...to carry something...

"I don't want to wear a belt!"

Well, yesterday I found a solution she can deal with...

I found a flat/small leather (fanny pack...but not really a fanny pack) pouch in thin brown leather that has only two small pockets. It's perfect for the KelTec .32 or the .380...

She loves the leather pouch and now feels comfortable with it on her side. It's better than nothing and at least she has a .380 WITH her...the S&W sits in her night stand...that's ok with me.

It all takes time...36 years so far...and we're getting there...

I'm happy that I now have her in the "Don't leave home without it mode...!"

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

BAC
    I foresee a similar road for myself with my better half. Yeehaw.

Congrats on coming to a solution, though, regardless of how long it might have taken. Late is better than never, right?

-B

Use the solution that works for her. It sounds like you two found it!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Wow... Holy cow! Better late than never, eh? I've heard of Baby Steps...

Ret, I am seriously glad she is protected!

I mean what are the odds of something really happening? But when that one time comes... What's the outcome gonna be? If you don't have the means with ya... chances are better than average that it won't be a good outcome. And if that time comes, considering the averages of it happening in the first place, well... you see my point.

It's better to have it and not need it, than to desparately need it and not have it. I spent a lot of time thinking of my signature line before picking that out... there's a lot of truth to it!

Congratulations on getting your wife to find something she can live with in order to have the lifesaving equipment with her and ready to go if that dreaded time ever surfaces.

You certainly have the patience of Job.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I am sorry, but you suffer under the misconception that they can ever be happy with us.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

Assistant Administrator
    At last eh Ken?

I am still working on my dear wife - to try and have her realize that if her piece is languishing alone under the couch, in her purse - it ain't doin much good when she is out!!!

She too is one who doesn't like a belt and also still is not feeling the need to have it there all the time. Also I try to instill in her the problems and risks of purse carry. We will get there eventually ... but it is a slow process - not one to be rushed either.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I never liked belts either, and through much denial I finally came to the rational that if I want to carry the gun I want to carry, safely, comfortably and effectively, I was going to have to get a good belt.

I still find them to be annoying at times, but such is the life, eh?

Congrats on finding something your wife will do.

As stated, better late than never!

Chris,

My wife too has problems with carrying on her person. She has yet to find any holster comfortable enough to wear and we have spent the money to find one. Plus she rarely wears a belt of any type let alone a sturdy enough gun belt.

For her, it's off body or nothing. So I got her a decent purse from Coronado Leather with a dedicated gun pocket. She seems to like it better than anything else. Plus it has a locking zipper on the gun compartment so if the grand daughter is around, even though the purse is always right at her feet, the gun is adequately secured under lock.

Her purse is glued to her and I would venture to say a purse snatcher would cut his losses and run rather than continue the fight in trying to wrestle the purse from her. I have taught her Lindell's Method of Handgun Retention and modified several of the techniques to work against a purse snatching event. Plus she as a keen spidey sense and situational awareness. Almost scary! And we constantly train on tactics and play out scenarios probably weekly and have been doing so for years. I think her draw is pretty darn quick from the purse and there are times she can have her hand on the gun and ready to go and still no one is the wiser.

Stay Safe and good luck in getting your wife to carry on body.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I think women should be allowed to open carry. Hear me out one second.
    CHAUVINISM ALERT....CHAUVINISM ALERT....CHAUVINISM ALERT....

Why allow women to open carry? Because if they can flaunt it, they will wear it. Look at your wife, girlfriend, lover, etc. and see how much time they spend getting all pretty. Hair, nails, make-up, coordinating clothing with accesories and all to make a beautiful picture.
    Now, we banter on our wives to defend themselves, they get a gun, they get hours of training and education in the finer points of the law. They go through all that work and then we drop the bomb: You can't show it. Hell they are going to complain!
    Possibly the most outstanding responsible and frighetning achievement a woman performs in her life is to be a mother. Do they hide their babies? NO! They go to the neraest playground with all the aftermarket accessories possible and parade the rugrat to other mothers. Why would a gun be different? It is less effort, you don't have to feed it, change it, raise it, etc.

And imagine the gun market if women could display their weapons? Guns and all gun related things will be marketed heavily for women. Not only an aouto with come with spare mags but also with at least 4 sets of grips in different colors to match the purse of the day. Ammo would come scented (Baby powder, orange, spring diasies, sea breeze, etc) so they wouldn't have to deal with those awful fumes. Ajax and Mr. Clean would go crazy creating cleaning products for the home and gun: "It will remove all copper and lead fouling while leaving your windows streak-free". And for those special occasions (anniversary, birthdays, Xmas) XS, Novak and every sight manufacturer would have instead of tritium, jewlery inserts: Diamonds, Rubies, Emeralds and the lot.
    Hell, even legislation would change. I am sure they would be enogh pressure on Congress to eliminate the NFA restriction on supressors. Women would want a supressed weapons so they are less loud and don't scare the kids.

I am telling you, this is the way to go.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Miggy,

I like the way you think amigo! Marketing Genius!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think her draw is pretty darn quick from the purse and there are times she can have her hand on the gun and ready to go and still no one is the wiser.
    I've got a good friend and she is the same as has been mentioned above. She tried all kinds of holster/belt combinations but just could not adapt to carrying a holstered gun. She really wants to carry daily because she works in a bad part of town. Well, the gun wound up in her purse along with everything else. While I was browsing through a Galco holster cat., I noticed the concealed gun handbags made with a compartment for the gun. Showed this to her, she ordered one and loves it! Bark'n, like you said, she can have her hand on the gun and no one would even notice. This is one heck of an advantage! I know there are lots of cons against purse carry, but I have to admit this could be a viable alternative for women.

ret, congrats on finding your wife's solution.

I do like the 'accessory' approach though...perhaps a holster might work if the grips had diamond inserts......yeah, she'd wear that...full carat grips...Mmmmmmm

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well, yesterday I found a solution she can deal with...

I found a flat/small leather (fanny pack...but not really a fanny pack) pouch in thin brown leather that has only two small pockets. It's perfect for the KelTec .32 or the .380...

She loves the leather pouch and now feels comfortable with it on her side. It's better than nothing and at least she has a .380 WITH her...the S&W sits in her night stand...that's ok with me.
    What is it called? Where did you get it? How can I get one? What do they cost? Where are the pictures?

My wife carries in her Coronado purse, but I would like (and she would too) to find a way for her to have a Beretta Tomcat on her all the time. We have been trying to find something like you described and now I need to know where to get it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Links