Shoulder Holsters anyone.

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holsters anyone. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank you plblark for not wanting to hijack. Also I think it a good idea to post pics & do the discussion you suggested. Originally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Holsters anyone.

Thank you plblark for not wanting to hijack.
    Also I think it a good idea to post pics & do the discussion you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by plblark View Post
    Not to hijack, but pics and comments about what makes a good Shoulder trig would be really cool. If not here, then in a different thread. I've been looking but simply don't know what I don't know :-)
    I have done my homework (& am still doing it) on shoulder holsters.
    Some things I have learned over the last 2yrs & looking forward to the comments of you who have carried for a # of yrs.
    Age, authoritis, & loss of range of shoulder motion all make a shoulder rig more appealing. I have now worn one quit often lately & it is a very viable carry option. My Miami Classic is for a Taurus Ultra Light. (J-Frame Smith) It is wonderful around the house.
    I found that you do NOT have to have a coat to cover a shoulder rig. (pics shortly) I wear vests most of the time, even in the summer. No sleves is no problem.
    I think the reason most people do not like a SH after trying it is they do not spend the time necessary to get it adjusted correctly for them. No one is going to guess right the 1st time. After getting a setting it is important to wear it for several hrs to see how it "settles" on you. Then adjust it again. Took me 3 days. I probably made 5 or 6 changes on the holster or mag side.
    What makes for a good rig?
    Wide shoulder straps that will distribute the gun weight over a greater area. Here I also think gun choice has a lot to do w/ what makes a good shoulder rig. A 5" stainless 1911 & 2 - 10rd mags on the other side is a lot more wt on shoulders than on the hips.
    The holster & mag pouches have got to be good. Gun or mags should not wiggle in it at all. Certainly should not be able to work past the thumb break & fall out.
    Questions I would like answers too.
    Suede & sweat. How dies it stand up?
    I have not seen the need for tiedowns. What about you old hands?
    Andrews leather has the Back Strap. What are thoughts on it?

Last edited by longtooth; June 13th, 2007 at 03:11 PM. Reason: add pictures
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

I have carried in a shoulder rig for over 30 years as dress or activity dictates. My current holster is a Galco SS-II which is a variation of the Jackass Rig. Wide straps, rough surface next to body, smooth outside. I carry my Sig P-229 in it with two 13 rnd mags opposite. I may or may not use the tie downs. Yes if wearing a suit, no if jeans and vest. Love it when I am driving most of the day. Covers easy with a fleece vest, a 5.11 vest, a windbreaker, or even a Hawaiian shirt. I am half way through my 60's and am fortunate. All my arthritis is in my knees and ankle from previous injuries. I have no issues drawing from the "underarm" position. As for comfort I rate the shoulder harness carry #1, followed by OWB (Belt or Paddle), and last on the comfort scale IWB.

Fortunately I live where the weather is moderate for most of the summer months. Usually can wear at least a large shirt, untucked, or a light vest/windbreaker.

As for Sweat, the leather will eventually get a little white salt stain but a good cleaning with saddle soap and an overnight drying session on a table will solve that. The harness on the Galco is replaceable with the mag/gun holster lasting a lifetime. I'm sure the same is true for other brands.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

I agree that adjustment is critical...take your time. it took me about 1 week with probably 1 adjustment, maybe 2 per night. I am sure that 1 night I adjusted it, the next night adjusted it again, then the 3rd night it was probably back to where it was the 1st or 2nd night. But it is real close if not perfect (if one can say "its perfect") at this point.
    And I got a lot of advice on proper placement from this forum right here!!
    thanks
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Just a few observations.

1. If you ever find the need to RUN while wearing a shoulder holster, your ribs will tell you why tie-downs were invented in the first place.

2. Shoulder holsters have an extremely high leather-to-gun ratio.

3. Wearing a vertical shoulder holster, you inevitably violate safety rule #2 while drawing.

4. Wearing a horizontal shoulder holster, you CONSTANTLY violate safety rule #2 just due to its design. (ever stood behind someone wearing one openly? Not a pleasant view.)

5. They do perform extremely well in two areas: driving and public bathrooms.

6. I always experienced a lot of muscle tightness in my upper back and neck while wearing one for more than an hour or so at a time.

Sololucky,
    You are so right. When I got my MC for the Kimber, I made sure i counted. Took me 8 moves to get it ready to wear w/o messing w/ it for a couple of hrs. After that I only moved one strap one hole.
    'Bout right now I think.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Beware of the suede leather harness that you get with Galco's "Jackass" rig. When you sweat...and you will...the suede harness absorbs the perspiration like a sponge! When you take the rig off and leave it long enough for the sweat to dry, it turns the harness into something similar to CARDBOARD!

If you find yourself owning a Galco shoulder rig, spend the extra money and get the "Miami Classic" or at least the "Miami Classic" harness if you decide that the "Jackass" rig is the one for you - the "Miami Classic" harness will work with the "Jackass" system - the colors just won't match...but ya know what? The suede harness that comes with the "Jackass" rig doesn't match either!

With all of that being said - I love my Miami Classic holster!

Administrator
    Ever walk on the second floor of your house while wearing a conventional holster on your waist?

Guess what...you are also violating Rule #2 - the only difference is that you can't actually see the tops of the heads of the people walking and sitting on the first floor beneath you.

That does not mean that they are not there - and the fact that you can't see them does not mean that your bullet will not travel right through the floorboards and kill them.

Just some food for thought for you to chew on.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Ever walk on the second floor of your house while wearing a conventional holster on your waist?

Guess what...you are also violating Rule #2 - the only difference is that you can't actually see the tops of the heads of the people walking and sitting on the first floor beneath you.

That does not mean that they are not there - and the fact that you can't see them does not mean that your bullet will not travel right through the floorboards and kill them.

Just some food for thought for you to chew on.
    Ah jeez...I got a feeling this discussion is headed south!!!

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    I wear a shoulder rig at times. And one of the things with a shoulder rig is that it be balanced in weight, if it takes several mags or one mag and a light, or in my case another pistol. I've found that it weighs more but I'm less tired and feel less muscle discomfort when the load is balanced some what. I adjust mine up higher and I have less problems with the rig wanting to shift. Wide shoulder straps are your friend. With a good rig adjusted to fit close you can wear it over a tee shirt and use most any shirt as a cover. I've used silk shirts plenty of times as a cover, you just have to be aware of the breeze and hold you elbows in a little when entering or exiting a building at times. This picture was taken before the final adjustment. I wear it higher than that.

Animal Kracker, is that a flower in your hair? I kid, I kid. Off topic but, is that your property in the background? If it is, I am jealous. Very nice. Is that a Galco shoulder rig?

I haven't tried the Galco rigs but have used both the vertical "X19" (?) and horizontal "Agent" rigs from Bianchi. The elastic harness on the vertical rig just plain sucks. The Agent rig was actually very comfortable with a Beretta 92fs.

I currently have a beauty of a Shoulder rig for a Glock G19 on order with Matt Del Fatti. It's a horizontal rig with dual mag pouch in undyed horsehide (almost cocoa brown color). The wait is long but I knew that when I placed the order so all is well. Everything I've seen of Matt's work convinced me the wait would be well worth it.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    Animal Kracker, is that a flower in your hair? I kid, I kid. Off topic but, is that your property in the background? If it is, I am jealous. Very nice. Is that a Galco shoulder rig?
    LOL, every time I post that one I'm waiting to see who will catch the flower. I was standing in front of a hibiscus and I could not have photoshopped that there any better. I'm at my home away from home at my uncle's place. That's a Sam Andrews rig and it is one of the best strap systems you will find. High and tight with the back strap just tight enough to keep any sway out.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker View Post
    LOL, every time I post that one I'm waiting to see who will catch the flower. I was standing in front of a hibiscus and I could not have photoshopped that there any better. I'm at my home away from home at my uncle's place. That's a Sam Andrews rig and it is one of the best strap systems you will find. High and tight with the back strap just tight enough to keep any sway out.
    HAHA, that flower was perfectly positioned. Now that I looked at your shoulder rig more closely I noticed the back strap. Seems like a very simple and effective way to keep the sway out. Andrews seems like they make some great stuff! That seems like the way to go for a shoulder rig.

Right now I have a couple of generic nylon $15 shoulder rigs for my Sigs. I hate them. I would love to find a nice horizontal leather one like I had years ago for my old Taurus 92. Of course I have no idea what it was, and it went with the pistol when I sold it. My problem is I am a fairly "large" guy and I am left handed! I have yet to find a dealer that stocks anything but the cheap stuff for us south paws! I have pretty much resigned myself to making my own. I am not about to drop $100+ on a non returnable holster just to find out it doesn't work for me. The nylon ones I have are crap, but on the motorcycle they are the most comfortable I have right now.
    Last edited by mcp1810; June 14th, 2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: typo

I use the Galco Vertical shoulder rig to carry a Beretta 90-two during the cooler times of the year when I wear a jacket. Just too hot in the south for anything more than a t-shirt during the warm/hot season. As has been mentioned above (glad, thought it was just me), I adjusted and re-adjusted my holster over the course of a week and finally got it perfect. After wearing the holster for a couple of weeks I ordered the tie-down for the mag side because the weight of the full size Beretta caused the harness to shift towards the gun side while wearing during the course of a day. The tie-down solved the shifting problem and the holster works great for carrying a full size gun. This holster was custom molded for the Beretta and fits like a glove. The leather and craftmanship are top notch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links