Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Larsen and HBE Leather Problems

54K views 250 replies 99 participants last post by  Bumper 
#1 ·
We are very aware of the problems many of you have been having with orders that you have placed with Eric at HBE Leather. While we have tried to keep all holster-related complaints out of the forum (see this thread for more information: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23274) we are going to make an exception to the rules and allow it since many of you have are left in limbo after possibly losing your money. All other forum rules apply here (no flames, etc) and viloations will be removed or the thread closed down.

I want everyone to understand, however, this is the one thread that discussions of this problem will be allowed....

#112 ·
Just received the bankruptcy notice myself.

#114 ·
I'm doing some checking. Don't know all the particulars yet. What bugs me is he said one holster was done and the other one would be in a couple of days. That was back in June. Now I get this.

#117 · (Edited)
Got mine (letter from lawyer) today. Sorta confirms my feelings on the moral nature of filing for bankruptcy, in general.
I've been in some real jams in the past and did whatever I had to to get out of it, to include cutting grass and delivering pizza in my spare time. Not everyone has such a sense of conduct, I guess. Hopefully my $90 went to a good cause.
In my current job, I'll have to visit 6 doctor's offices to recoup that loss (probably 7 or 8 to cover gas, etc.), but that's OK. I'm almost done buying holsters anyway.

#119 ·
I want to thank Bumper and the Mods for this forum. At least we can vent and warn others to beware.
QKShooter, I agree with your last post completely.

#123 ·
You may recognize that I have had a number of things to say in this thread and have been the one who had dug into the background and posted some unpleasant data. It is my duty to do this again.

Mr. Larsen applied to the bankruptcy court to convert his bankruptcy from Chapter 13 to Chapter 7. The difference is that under Chapter 13 a debtor is responsible to pay his creditors, but the court insures that he has time to pay them. The court sets a schedule and the creditors cannot take action against the debtor as long as he follows the payment schedule. Under Chapter 7 the debtor is absolved from all debt and is not required to pay his creditors.

There are two types of Chapter 7 bankruptcy - with assets and without assets. Under the with assets program certain property can be protected and what is left is sold by the court. The proceeds from the sale are distributed to the creditors according to a plan drawn up by the court. Under the without assets program the court absolves the debtor and no creditor gets anything. Mr. Larsen's bankruptcy is Chapter 7 with no assets.

Does this mean that the creditors are never paid? Not necessarily, but it means there is very little likelihood that they will get paid. Does it mean that you who have received the letters won't get your holsters? Again, not necessarily, but in reality that is probably what it means.

#125 ·
Well as I've said in the past. I hope Eric pulls through this and I hope to have holsters from him someday. I don't believe Eric has set out to hoss wrangle anyone. But I do believe he has dug himself into a hole that is over his head. I'm pretty sure several of us here have been mired down and in quicksand before. I hope he can overcome this. And yes I have a pretty large order with Eric. I don't think he set out to screw me over. Very few have means to get blood from a turnip. I hope things look up and we start to get the orders even if it takes awhile.

#126 ·
While I don't have a dog in this fight, I've watched this whole scenario develop over the past year or so. All along I was down on this fellow for how he handled (mishandled) his customers.

In spite of not starting out with the intention of screwing anyone, when it came between him and his customers, he chose to jump ship and leave them to take their losses.

Hopefully this bankruptcy will assure that he is not able in the future to finance another business, since I'd guess such a pattern could repeat.

I've dealt with folks like this in my past and feel no sympathy for his plight, since he exhibited none for others.

#127 ·
It's a shame...

I think Eric has a great talent with leather. Unfortunately, he has no business sense. The $150 I'm out won't break me and it's the first time I've lost money on a holster. I hope things work out for Eric and I'll shop a little wiser next time.

#128 ·
I think Eric has a great talent with leather. Unfortunately, he has no business sense. The $150 I'm out won't break me and it's the first time I've lost money on a holster. I hope things work out for Eric and I'll shop a litter wiser next time.
Having no business sense is an excuse, a cop out. Everyone in business has the ability to seek advice from professionals that could have saved this from happening. Eric chose not to do that and therefore has left another bankrupt business legacy for the book's.

I agree he is a great talent and I have two of his holsters that I picked up from others selling them, it is quite a shame.

Ti

#130 ·
I'm confused. What part of, "catastrophic medical expenses" do people not understand? Anyone have any idea how many hard working, insurance having, families are bancrupted every year by the same thing?

This is as much a societal issue, as one of poor personal finance.

#131 ·
So far there is no evidence of these "catastrophic medical expenses" being listed in the creditors section of the bankruptcy filling. I am waiting for Mr. Larsen's attorney to file the final listing of amounts due to creditors. But in spite of Mr. Larsen's earlier statements that new charges could not be added to the filed creditors under the Chapter 13 bankruptcy, the US Bankruptcy Court website states that they can. If the expenses exist they should show up on the final listing and if they do I will post an apology. If they do not show up I will post that info as well.

BTW, at the time Mr. Larsen filed for the Chapter 13 bankruptcy there were less than $7000 in medical expenses reported. So the "catastrophic medical expenses" are not what prompted the original bankruptcy filing.

#132 ·
Hey guys....... Being the target of this photo and its "message"...I probably shouldnt find humor in this but I do......funny stuff!

I can appreciate the sense of humor of some of the posters....

Just to let you guys know where I am and whats going on....
My medical bills were around 225,000$ for my son. I dont understand the procedural side of it but as it was explained to me.
Its a "learning institution hospital and has situtations like this arise.
The hospital basically, cut what I owed them in half and worked out the bill with outside parties. Basically, If I dont put them on the bankruptcy...I can make payments over the next 5-7 years and pay off around 10% of my original bill. I couldnt pass that up...but this all happened after I changed my chapter 13 to a 7.
If I put them on my bankruptcy...I run the risk of them not seeing my son for non emergency procedures...which I need.

Because you guys are on my Chapter 7, DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE GETTING SCREWED............ It means that Im not legally obigated to get you guys your leather....but I AM MORALLY obligated to get every single piece to you guys.

Let me tell you what happened since this all started about 3-4 months ago. I had approx. 280 customers that were waiting when I decided to stop taking the "normal amount of orders"..... Ive made over 200 pcs of leather! Filling around 100-120 customers orders in that process...Its very rare I get an order for just one holster. The remaining customers will get their stuff, probably not as fast as they would like...but YOU WILL GET IT!

I hope this helps explain where I am...........again. If you want to get in touch with me......Ive passed this one more than I care to mention here....DONT PM ME OR EMAIL ME. Phoning me is the only way to get in touch with me and I am behind in getting back with people...which Im sorry for. I will try and get caught up with phone calls by this weekend. You guys who send 20 emails and dont get a reply..think Im just ignoring you and thus "screwing you"....be patient and call me.

Thanks for everything and god bless..........Eric

#134 ·
Okay guys since I'm the one who brought this post back to life let me also say that Eric contacted me this morning. He said my holsters should be done by this weekend. He made the move and I guess you can call me a sucker but since I don't have anything to lose I'm gonna hope to see them. Just so you know my orders were placed in September of 06.

#135 ·
The willful failure to file truthful
schedules and statements may result in any number of adverse consequences to the debtor and her
lawyer. See e.g., 11 U.S.C. § 727(a)(4) (denial of discharge); 11 U.S.C. § 707(a)(3) (dismissal of
case); 18 U.S.C. § 152 (fraudulent concealment of assets is a felony). A debtor may amend her
schedules, as a matter of right, at any time before the case is closed.
You may want to rethink not listing all assets and liabilities. Sadly, the leather and equipment used to make holsters would be included in this.

#136 ·
Kevin...its a great idea...kinda like delfatti does. But right now it would take ALOT of time to get it all compiled and put on the net. Ill see what my web guy can do for me and how much work it would really be.....thanks.

OZ....I just do what my attorney says I can and cant do. Thats all.......
Shoot well and god bless.

Eric

#138 · (Edited)
Just wanted to wish you the best Eric, I have been watching this post for awhile and see people on both sides of the fence. I wish it could have happened differently for you but there is a plan, we are just to short sighted to see it. I too have a son with "medical issues" I can understand your position. I have had him to Cleaveland Clinic.... $47k, then to Mayo, $11K and back to Mayo again for an 11 day stay that I can't wait to get the bill for, AND I DO HAVE INSURANCE.... In my case I pay the doctor first and eat later... I know how rough that is... God willing everything will work out, your on the prayer list bud, and will stay there till all is well, hang in there and God Bless...

PS Darned nice leather you put out...

To everybody with "skin in the game" I read this post and see lots of gripes and venting...Fair enough, Eric has not delivered! Then I see at random intervals, "Got mine today" ..."surprise its here" Etc..Etc... seems to me that a guy that has to file bankerupcy and is still managing to send out holsters may be sacrificing more time and money than he has just to do the right thing.... I don't have a horse in the race here, but Eric seems on the up and up... and his product quality has not dropped in this entire ordeal... I hope he can catch up and get back in the game, sure would like to have one of those for my belt.....

#139 ·
I should explain

I am not a cold and heartless person.
I very much care for our hard working members though.
I would be heartless if I did not care about Eric.
I care about him also.
That does change the fact that he still has work to do.
I honestly believe that the majority of our members are big enough to forgive the guy once they get their order filled even after an overly long wait. They will be happy just not getting shafted and finally owning their finely crafted carry rig.
Eric is an incredibly talented artist and craftsman.
He is one of a rare small clan of super talented leather people.
I have a great amount of appreciation and respect for his talent.
He messed up but, he can untangle it all. It's not easy but, it's do-able.
It will be a very happy day for me when all DC forum members that placed past orders with Eric get their leather items and this thread can be locked and closed for good.
That will be a good day for Eric and for our forum members and for the DC staff.
I think the thing for Eric to do once he gets caught up is to just make holsters at his own pace for the most popular gun models.
The Glocks & 1911s and SIGS etc.
And then sell the completed, finished, holsters on an individual basis possibly in Members Buy Sell Trade.
That way members would buying holsters that were already completed, boxed and ready to ship with no waiting times.
That sure would work.
For sure I would buy from him that way once he finally gets caught up.
Then he would always stay busy but would never again get behind.

#140 ·
Greetings. I found this place by way of the similar thread at THR.

It seems we're supposed to list our outstanding orders here, for the record?

I ordered a classic pancake OWB scabbard holster for G17, black, RH, 15 deg cant, 1.5" belt loops, high back.

Ordered it middle of Nov 2006. Was told of a 4 month delivery time.

CC charged 11/20/06.

Called Eric in June; was told it was "being finished now."

Received the Chapter 7 notice a few days ago.

Still no holster.

Called Eric yesterday and he said he'd find out where the holster was in the queue and call me back. That's where it stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.