Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Larsen and HBE Leather Problems

54K views 250 replies 99 participants last post by  Bumper 
#1 ·
We are very aware of the problems many of you have been having with orders that you have placed with Eric at HBE Leather. While we have tried to keep all holster-related complaints out of the forum (see this thread for more information: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23274) we are going to make an exception to the rules and allow it since many of you have are left in limbo after possibly losing your money. All other forum rules apply here (no flames, etc) and viloations will be removed or the thread closed down.

I want everyone to understand, however, this is the one thread that discussions of this problem will be allowed....

#201 ·
Glad to see some holsters being delivered!

Eric, I am very glad to see that you not only have taken responsibility for all that has happened but aim to make good on it all too. I think that is all anyone ask's and you will get the support you earn.

Do yourself a favor and keep the focus and you will accomplish the goal. I have never ordered from you because I have been lucky enough to buy holsters from forum members that were selling for one reason or another. I even bought your holsters without even owning the gun for it yet, as I knew I would own one in time. Like the G30 I picked up from a forum member today, I had an HBE waiting in the holster drawer when I got home with it. I have another HBE OWB that came with the gun and one for my 1911's as well.

All i can say is, awesome holsters and i'm glad I had the chance to pick the ones up I have. I have holster needs all the time and would be glad to entertain the idea of another HBE custom so you can keep the back log going.

Ti

#202 ·
Well...thanks guys. I took a break from stamping my work as I didnt know if I wanted to keep the HBE name alive. I drove the good name into the ground and thought it might be better if I just left the leather unmarked. I still dont know what to do about that point...but its still the same leather nonetheless.

ALS...thanks for the pics....nice leather! Ti...Im doing what I can.

Shoot well and god bless

#203 ·
Keep the name...

Regardless of what has transpired with your business. HBE does have quality associated with it, as well.

#208 ·
Eric,

I hope you get all the backlog taken care of. I have really enjoyed the hoster I got from you eventhough the wait was long. Once the que is cleared that will go a long way to determining if I order another. Just out of curiosity did you ever get the pictures I sent you of the p230 in the hoster you make for it.

Good Luck

p230

#210 ·
Years from now I'll be known for having one of the ultra-rare HBE holsters without the stamp. It'll be like the US stamp from the early 1900's with the airplane accidentally upside down. Will be worth millions.

#213 ·
HBE Leatherworks

I stumbled onto Eric's site yesterday and dropped him an email. He replied and stated that he would like me to call. I did and left a message. He called back and we spoke about my upcoming purchase. He was very friendly and professional. I then went to the web again to select the colors 'n stuff. I then stumbled onto MANY forums that were bashing HBE and Eric. Honestly, I was thinking twice about my upcoming purchase. Then something dawned on me... he was responding to EACH of the complaints on EVERY forum!!! I saw a lot of apologies but personally did not read any excuses... he just promised his leather. He took it all on the chin. He admits to making errors in many areas of his business. He is not hiding that fact. From my viewing of the various forums it appears that he is trying his hardest to make right those errors and deserves a lot of credit for his efforts. So, my hat is off to the man. A lesser man would be dealing with it much differently. Eric, if you read this, I will be calling you very shortly to place my order. Sorry for giving you a second guess.

PS: It should be known that I have yet to purchase a single item from HBE. I have no history in dealing with HBE or Eric until today. It is quite evident to me that Eric is a man of high integrity and I have no problem sending business his way.

#214 ·
I've got to say, the man has intestinal fortitude in heaps. Although I have an outstanding order with Eric that I haven't discussed with him yet, I have to say, I'm considering calling him with another project. Mostly because of the way he is still standing after the beating he's taken. I like comebacks, always makes for a good story.

#216 ·
I'm going to be needing a holster and I am considering having him make it. I know exactly what I want and if he can do it I would give him my business for it.

#215 ·
HBE custom tuckables

I received my HBE custom holster and dual mag holster. They are beautiful. Eric did an amazing job on these. The holster is a ProTuck TL, with a reverse cant for appendix carry and a reinforced mouth. The mag holster is made to be as thin as possible with the clip between the two mags. Both of these are tuckable and they are both one of a kind.

The only real problem is that I ordered these when I had the 225, and now I don't have any magazines for the mag holster. But I absolutely love them. Thank you Eric!!!!

#217 ·
I just wanted to let everyone that hasn't figured it out yet know that dealing with Eric is very enjoyable. He is very helpful, patient, knowledgeable, and friendly and has spent hours with me on the phone. If you are considering a holster, you can't go wrong with Eric.

Plus I wanted to bump the thread so people can see my beautiful leather. I had it in it's own thread, but it got moved here.

#218 ·
after reading some posts on t h r forum, i just want to say great job on whoever posted updated news on getting there order from eric, and there is some more people here that should do the same,after some of there posts, the funny thing is they even used the same screen names. I dont own a piece of erics leather(one day i might) but from comments and pics , and the fact that he still standing after the public lashing on this and many other forums shows the type of man he is. his work speaks for itself awsome holster morintp. Gary where is my holster

#219 ·
Gary where is my holster
I'm sure you understand this from the other thread, but if you ask you risk getting your order cancelled. Gary's a hothead that way, and probably looking for easy ways to unload orders so he can just sell to CCA and avoid dealing with people.

Eric, on the other hand, I envision as a kind of "last man standing." The last guy in the trenches keeping the advancing enemy at bay. He's taken quite a public beating, but the more adversity he faces, the finer his quality shines through. Hang in there Eric, you'll git 'er done!

#220 · (Edited by Moderator)
Having said that; Eric does make great holsters and if he gets to the point where he can provide them in a timely manner, 4 months or so, he will again be one of the top holster artists. He can stay that as long as he maintains good customer service and doesn't let his backlog get to long.

S & W 1066 10mm; SIG P239 9mm; Colt Mustang .380

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by dr_cmg : August 11th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

#221 ·
This is not exactly the way I wanted to start my first post but I felt a need to chime in on Eric's situation. I first came into contact with Eric about 6 weeks ago and was impressed with his straightforward manner. I believe Eric to be an honest man that has been in a terrible situation. I've been there with the health problems not only for myself but my wife as well. Situations like this and his can cause a person awful pain. That pain can be so mentally crippling you just want everyone to go away. Most people will take that track as a matter of fact. They cut off all communication and call it done. Yep, he didn't tell the truth about shooting himself but desperation can make you do things you never would believe you could do. Forgive and forget!

With a bankruptcy you are under no obligation to do anything in fact you can get yourself in a bind by trying to make good on past business arrangements. A bankruptcy judge can even dismiss the case if he finds you're trying to pay anyone back for past business promises. So, Eric is actually taking a risk by making good on the old holster orders. It takes a person of character to continue to keep his word to customers when he is not required to by law and admits to everyone his very personal business and personal difficulties. This is going above and beyond what most people would choose to do given the stress of the situation.

Many of us tend to be without much empathy for someone in his difficult position. After all what's a $100 to most of us when it comes right down to it. We are a spoiled society pure and simple. Some have mentioned why take new orders. Well that's pretty simple really. You need income coming in to pay the rent, feed yourself and family. Time stops for no man and the bills have to be paid while he catches up on past orders. Finishing a new order then working an old order one after another seems a reasonable way to accomplish the need to keep his word to everyone and still have income coming in in order to live.

Eric makes a fine product! I've tested one for my blog Holsters for the 1911 « Gunner’s Journal and I've placed an order with him. When it gets here it gets here. The planet isn't going to come to a screeching halt because I don't have a holster. Sure we all want timely service but a little understanding goes a long way in helping a good man get back on his feet.

He deserves patient customers and trust unless proven otherwise
I'm not criticizing anyone for the views they hold but I just felt a need to put my two cents worth in.

#225 ·
Some have mentioned why take new orders. Well that's pretty simple really. You need income coming in to pay the rent, feed yourself and family. Time stops for no man and the bills have to be paid while he catches up on past orders.
I was under the impression he does not charge until he ships. If that is true, then new orders are not paying his rent. So, why take new orders?

#224 ·
Eric's redeeming quality is that he is standing up and taking responsibillity for his problems. I am one of those that has an outstanding order with Eric. No, I'm not happy about it. I'd rather have my leather, not the money, but I do understand what trying times are like. I've had some myself. Eric says he's going to take care of old business and I'm a patient guy. Hopefully, in the not too far off future, I can stick some new irons in some new HBE leather.

#228 ·
Whyveear,

It's my understanding that Eric alternates between a new order and a backlog order because he has to have some way to pay for leather, dye, hardware, etc.....(which is pretty tough sometimes in a one man operation, believe me). He might not charge until he ships now but I believe quite a few folks payed for gear in advance back before he ran into financial trouble. Now he has to essentially build two holsters (double the material cost and time involved) for every new order he takes; the new order he just got and an old one that was already payed for before bankruptcy. That has to seriously cut into profits , so I'm willing to bet he has to work another job just to pay rent and fill orders in his "off" time. I don't blame anyone for being unhappy about not getting their gear but Eric admitted his mistakes and he's rectifying them in the only way that he is financially able to.

#231 ·
That's exactly what I wanted to say Ti. What Eric is doing must be hard, and I admire him for making good on his backorders. Because of that I ordered a beautiful pair of custom tuckables that you can see a picture of on the previous page. I love them so much, I ordered a matching one, but with an FBI cant. Also, Eric is very friendly and willing to spend time with people on the phone. And as you said Ti, everyone wins whenever Eric gets a new order.

The only real problem is that I have no need for the dual mag holster now that I don't have the 225. I haven't decided if I want to sell it, or try to get a gun with matching mags.

#232 ·
Another satified owner but not technically an HBE customer...

As some you might have seen from my intro my first exposure to both Def/Carry and to business with HBE Leatherworks was when I was linked to this thread upon winning a silent auction for an HBE Pro with 100% of the proceeds going to the Saint Jude Childrens Research Hospital.

Eric donated the holster to be auctioned off on another forum and I won it. I have had nothing but expedient and reassuring communication with Eric since first bidding on it and during the time the "check was in the mail" to the third party auction organizer in the name of SJCRH.

I had seen Erics' work before and visited his website but never tried any of his gear, in fact if you told me that I would own a shark trimmed holster as recent as 2 months ago I'd have laughed at you but yet here I am.

I guess I feel like I wanted to try and post something positive here. I think the right thing to do is offer a man a hand to get out of a deep hole rather than kick dirt on him and close the lid. That being said, I'd be as upset as anybody to be in the dark without something to show for my hardearned after the wait some of you have endured. I can't blame those of you who have moved on to seeking recourse. Maybe this donation is part of Erics' desire to make amends, and it is right to help him do just that.

Since I am not one of you who had to wait for months and months and Eric didn't profit from my purchase he is still square with me. Unfortunately, knowing what I do now I will proceed with some caution if, or rather when I get around to having the rest of a rig made to match the holster. :9: Him and I will have to come to terms with how our transaction will proceed. I did notice that he isn't the only holstermaker in hot water these days, perhaps HBEs' time in the frying pan is nearing its' end.

Eric, if you read this. You have my email address, let me know when you get that backlog mowed down and are proceeding at a consistent pace.

PS I wanted to clarify that this was a prototype holster and the first of its' kind, Erics personal out of a drawer so please don't think he put making it ahead of any backorders as that is not the case. It is technically used but certainly LNIB from where I'm sitting.

Now to see if I can link a few pics until I take some of my own with a purty stainless gun in it. :) These may be fuzzy and I've never posted or linked pics on Def/Carry B4 so here goes...:aaa:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.