Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Larsen and HBE Leather Problems

54K views 250 replies 99 participants last post by  Bumper 
#1 ·
We are very aware of the problems many of you have been having with orders that you have placed with Eric at HBE Leather. While we have tried to keep all holster-related complaints out of the forum (see this thread for more information: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23274) we are going to make an exception to the rules and allow it since many of you have are left in limbo after possibly losing your money. All other forum rules apply here (no flames, etc) and viloations will be removed or the thread closed down.

I want everyone to understand, however, this is the one thread that discussions of this problem will be allowed....

#5 ·
Good idea Bumper but I'm not sure what good it will do if he isn't here to review the comments, he hasn't been to see us since April.
I don't necessarily believe it will help but some of our members have been experiencing a problem getting what they ordered from HBE and I would like it contained in one place. This is simply that place.

#4 ·
Because of our rules I have deliberately stayed away from posting anything about problems with HBE. But since Bumper has given us this dispensation I will add my name to a growing list.

My order was placed October 30, 2006 and my card charge cleared November 6, 2006. I was told to expect my holster in 4 months or so. March 9, 2007 I sent a PM to Eric asking about changing the order and got a reply that he would call me the next day. When he did not I called and left a message on March 12. I have gotten no response from Eric since.

I don't want to kick a man when he is down, but enough is enough. It costs nothing to send a PM or email. There are some who have managed to make contact with Eric and get promises, but unfortunately the promises have not been fulfilled.

I would like to compile a list of names, addresses, phone numbers, order dates, charges etc of all members here who have ordered holsters from Eric, but who have not receive them. I have created an email account for just at purpose. If you would email me at this address hbeproblems at bellsouth.net and provide as much info as you want I will compile a list and present it to Utah AG's Office and to any other office that we think can help.

By the way I plan to make this same offer on other boards over the next few days. I am not a member of many, but will be joining them. If you are already a member of other boards and would like to save me the effort of finding and joining them send me a PM letting me know which ones so I will know that I don't have to join a particular one.

#6 ·
I'll agree that he has been hard to contact. I talked to Eric several weeks ago and at that time he informed me that was was not taking any orders until he got his back log caught up. I have several holsters, mag pouch, and a belt on order with him. He has always dealt fairly with me in the past and I do not believe he will not this time.

#10 ·
First I would like to say that the holster and belt I got from H.B.E. was and still is a fantastic piece of leather work. I am more than just pleased with the craftsmanship and quality.

But, unfortunately, due to some of the same delay and communication issues I can definitely say that I won't be ordering from H.B.E. when I need another holster.

(My thread from 2006 http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10507)

Also, I think 'Problem" threads like this are just as important as the "I had a GREAT experience with XYZ Inc.". Flaming and ranting are not necessary, but having this information available is very valuable.

#11 ·
HBE.............................

Well....Ill keep this as short and sweet as I can. Bumper and the rest of you.....
Well guys this sucks...my past has caught up with me. Due to medical bills with my son and not being able to afford medical insurance, being self employed for so long......
Ive had a quandry going on with my morals and my head.
I had to file bankruptcy.
I had to add my business since Im a Sole Proprietership according to my attorney.
I didnt want to do this and still dont want to...

The simple truth is my finances are so beyond SCREWED because of this that I dont know what to do.

My website is NOT down because Im out of business and Im still not able to get my email like I stated months ago. My site will be back up next week after we fix a problem...........ok.

As far as my cell phone goes....my daughter has had my phone for a while and has called me with #'s and I return them as I can. I will get back with most of you by this weekend. So please forgive my lack of communication. Ive had to shuffle things around lately and its taken its tole.

Im working a full time job trying to pay the bills and not lose what Ive got left and am still making holsters in the evenings and such.

I will get back with all of you...please be patient. Because of my cell not being with me, my site being down and so on....ALOT or MOST of you are saying "What the [expletive edited]? Or you think Im a bonifed thief?! No...just an idiot! Ive never been or will be a thief! You will all get your leather!

This is as simple as I can tell you guys. I ended up owing over 250,000$ in medical bills due to a lack of medical insurance, that I COULD NOT afford! They wanted more than I actually made some months, for it. It bit me.......HUGE!

Lack of planning, poor business sense! Or what ever you want to call it......I guess so. Hind sight is better than.

Heres the situation as of today. Due to my finances Im working fulltime doing something I never thought Id do...but its paying the bills..at least I hope it is. I got my phone back from my daughter and will be in touch with all who have called and left messages by this weekend. I AM NOT TAKING ORDERS and am just working on existing stuff until its done.

Please bare with me...........if you want to call me. Please do so...I will answer the phone or call you back! Just dont call me until after 5pm mountain time.

This bankruptcy thing has left me morally, spiritually and physically ill.

My lack of communication with the world can be taken as me running away from all of this and YOU! Well..that is partly true. Ive never been in this situation and havent done all that I could to keep you all abreast of the situation.

But I will be in touch with those of you who have tried to get in touch with me.

Again, please call me in the evening or even write me. And once again.....Im sorry and Im dancing as fast as I can.

My prayers go out to all of you..........thanks for all of your support over the years.

Eric Larsen........................

#12 ·
Eric, I hate to hear this. The most important thing is that your son is ok. Bills be dammed, his health is what is important.

That is a huge rock to be under. I am glad that you will be able to get out from under it. Do whatever you have to do.

I'm sure the folks waiting for holsters will understand.

Keep your head up and God bless you and your family.

#14 ·
I have worked in emergency medicine for almost 30 years... The state of the healthcare industry and the insurance industry is in shambles as far as I'm concerned.

My partner on the ambuance racked up almost a million dollars in medical bills when her husband died. (another co-worker). It only took about 9 days of being in a coma too. Healthcare insurance covered a lot, but it had caps to the coverage.

I feel for your situation Eric! Please do not get too discouraged. You have to keep your family together as best you can.

I can say that as far as I know all the members of this forum are decent people and will accept your post with understanding. At least I hope they do.

You seem like an honorable and stand up guy and that's enough for me.

Good luck buddy... I hope your son is ok and getting better.

You and your family are in my prayers!

#15 ·
Eric, I feel for your position. While you don't owe me any leather I faced financial destruction thanks to our wonderful, caring, medical system. Lost savings, retirement, business, the works. Took 7 years and now can see the light of day as of last month. Hang in there and keep bailing! You'll keep your boat afloat, just keep things in perspective and know there is an end to it although I know at times it's gonna be hard to see.

Sure wish one of our glorious, compassionate, leaders would have the guts to actually DO something about the destructive mess that passes for a medical system here. We need something besides the greed based, lawsuit happy mess we have now.

#16 ·
My heart goes out to you Eric.

Years ago, I was appointed by a bankruptcy court to handle the accounting of a small sole proprietorship that was going thru bankruptcy. I have also witnessed the situation of several others in a similar position.

I want to echo what El Cruiser said. Keep bailing. You WILL get through this.

My only advise from these experiences is to embrace your family and get through this together, making sure to support each other. That's to only important thing. Everything else is just money.

Hang in there.

#18 ·
Eric, the important thing is that your son's OK or going to be soon. Money can be replaced.

I don't have anything ordered from you, but you've always been helpful (Through PMs) & I know you're friends with Nate (UBG holsters), & have probably helped him out when he was starting. Your heart's in the right place, that's apparent.

I'm sure you know this, but family's the most important thing right now & your faith (In whatever it may be). I sincerely hope you get through this in the easiest, quickest manner, that does the least damage to your family & you.

Take care.

#19 ·
Unfortunately my internet has been down all morning so that I could not post the latest news. Eric called me this morning at about 7:30 Central time. We had a lengthy conversation about his situation. Here is what he proposes to do: 1) He will call each customer who is owed holsters or other equipment. 2) He will supply each customer with the items that the customer has paid for. Please keep us informed as to whether you get a phone call and concerning whether you get your holsters.

Because the personal finances the owner of a sole proprietorship and the business finances of a sole proprietorship are legally entangled there are things that cannot be done due to the bankruptcy. The owner and the business are protected from creditors and all payments have to be in accordance with the bankruptcy proceedings. To make a refund would violate the agreement. Under these circumstances Eric has no choice as to whether to give a refund or not. He cannot.

Again please keep us informed of any contact you have with Eric so that others here can know what is going on.

#21 ·
I have a magic word that in times like these, does wonders in comforting me. The word is:

EGBOK

Everything Gonna Be OK!!!

May God be with you Eric.

#23 ·
Eric,

Although I've never had the pleasure of seeing or using any of your leather work, I do know that you have contributed to this on a regular basis, and have always been willing to answer questions.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent hard ships, and rest assured that you're in my prayers!

--Jim

#24 ·
So I expect that we will start seeing some posts sporadically popping up on DefensiveCarry pretty soon that begin with:

Hey! I Finally Got My Holster From HBE And It's Absolutely Beautiful!

Some of our members have been much more than just modestly inconvenienced.

I sure do hope that you'll make every attempt to pull through for them.

#25 ·
I talked to Eric recently and at that time I informed him that I was willing to let him put my order on the back burner and to work on some one's order that was really in need of a holster. I'll ask if any other members are willing to contact Eric and let him know that they can wait and for him to get to the ones that are in NEED of a holster. I have several pistols that I carry and several holsters for most of them. For some this is their first and only custom holster. Lets help our brothers out. Eric's holsters are some of the best that you will ever come across, let's give the guys that absolutely need the holster 1st priority.

#27 ·
Well....I just got off of the phone with Gary and he knows of my situation quite extensively now. He said one thing to me "You are either very very lucky or very blessed....DONT SCREW THIS UP!"

Im not going to make anyone any promises.....they seem to create a negative situation that ends up biting me on the arse! But will do my best to get you guys out everything you paid for and actually call you guys so you can ream me in person if that is your stance on this! Personally, I wouldnt blame one of you! And I mean that sincerely.

Im overwhelmed by the support this forum has for me....even when I keep screwing up.....I got divorced a year and a half ago and got very very depressed over it.....screwed me up in a huge way and you guys just said....weve been there and it will get better!

Gary is right......simply put Im extremely blessed.

You guys post whatever you want....good bad or indifferent. Its all fair in my eyes at this point. Tell the world if I called or if I didnt...tell the world I make great holsters or that they suck and you are now using it as an ash tray....

I dont know if HBE will ever be in the black again and right now it doesnt even matter to me. I am not HBE...Its just a name...but Im the guy behind that name and I still take pride in what that means.

God bless and shoot well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.