Let's talk draw

This is a discussion on Let's talk draw within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No, Not sketching my wife. Any thoughts on the draw? Tips, technique? How much practice. Above all safety....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk draw

Let's talk draw

No, Not sketching my wife. Any thoughts on the draw? Tips, technique? How much practice. Above all safety.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    The best I've ever heard is just a dry-firing exercise.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Find your most ergonomic carry position. Put on your normal cover garment. Sweep or flick the garment back. Down, grip, up; to center of mass, push outward, aquire front sight, aquire target, press trigger.

Reholster, repeat 1,000,000 times.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    The best I've ever heard is just a dry-firing exercise.
    Yup. Empty gun. Run scenarios in your head. Practice the stance, preparation to draw w/ warning to your adversary (if appropriate to the scenario), the sweep of the clothing out of the way, and execute a fairly brisk draw to low-ready or to actively firing. Practice the sequence until it's second nature. Each week, take a couple ~15min periods to practice just the draw, with an empty gun, from the carry holster and with the covering garments you'll use on the street. Makes a world of difference, over time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Regarding drawing/presentation, start with unloaded gun. Start slow, be consistent and don't worry about speed. Let the speed come naturally, and it will take time for that. A good video will teach you better than can be described here. There are a lot of things to consider in a good presentation of the weapon.

Visit this website... There are a lot of professional training videos to be found there.

http://gunvideo.com/
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Get TO your firearm location as quickly as is humanly possible.

That is when you absolutely need to move fast.

Once you get to your firearm that is when you always need to get a proper, secure, correct grip on your firearm before you ever draw it from your holster.

Once you do have a secure grip - then your draw and presentation should be deliberate with no wasted motion.

Never prematurely rush your grip or your firearm presentation to the intended target.
    That will naturally become faster as you practice.

If you cannot gain access to your firearm very quickly then you need to either change your carry location to a more suitable body location - or be keenly aware of the fact that having a firearm "on your person" might not do you any good at all and/or might not save your life.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2000 times will begin to develop some muscle memory...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Practice in front of a mirror, watch your joints, shoulder, elbow, wrist, fingers, move in slow motion, look for inefficient movements, try to eliminate wasted motions

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Good suggestions for sure. I didn't see "snap caps" mentioned. These would allow you to pull the trigger and not risk damage to your firing pin. Some newer guns don't have this problem but I'd be more comfortable using them.
    For God, Family and Country!

here are a couple videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQQz_-fCXYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxVa-gEPn6Q

neither one is great, but they can give you a general idea

Assistant Administrator
    The empty gun practice in part does not even IMO need final dry fire. The achievement of a draw to the stage where firing would naturally follow is the part where speed and fluidity can increase thru repetition.

This is also where a laser can help such that as the draw completes there is a resulting dot placement - which may or may not be on the chosen target according to successful grip. Assessment too of sight alignment if no laser.... is it pointing where intended.

I discovered one really critical aspect to aid grip consistency - which is the application of enough downward pressure on the gun at the instant of fingers closing ......... such that the web of the hand engages fully into the backstrap/beavertail area. Then when grip complete it will be both firm and better aligned.

The opposite is a sloppy grip aquisition whereby the gun is not even really secure - too rushed - and so not well in control as well as probably off target.

There is no substitute for practice ----- countless repetitions. This aspect is one where I favor sticking to one primary carry gun choice because it has to make the grip feel and aquisition much more guaranteed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I'm not against dry fire practice, but I do question it beyond a learning level. I have trained now for 8 years, been to a bunch of training schools, shoot about 200 rounds a week, and do draw and shoots frequently. I find that there is NOTHING better than live fire for refining and developing draw and fire, PRESUMING one has safely practiced the draw stroke to establish timing.

I notice that when I train with a laser, i.e. one that flashes when the shot breaks, is that I'm trying to index such that I can see the laser on the threat - that's counterproductive. At the range, using live ammo, you get to see the accumulative location of hits. You can see patterns developing that allow you to make adjustments. You get to deal with recoil which isn't there with dry fire. I have seen bad habits creep in with too much dry fire.

One does not need to draw fast, but rather correctly. Speed comes from correct technique, correct technique comes from correct slow practice. There doesn't seem to be any shortcuts.

Plus, it's easy to get caught up in speed and slight tactics. Tactics are important. There is a tactical draw stroke and at least one speed draw stroke. I find the tactical draw stroke much more difficult to master than the speed draw stroke. Most of us need to use a tactical drawstroke.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Thanks for the tips,links and vids. One constant here seems to be the downward grip on the gun. Muscle memory is something that I never thought of for some odd reason. This might be a silly question.

Go here, http://www.mdtactical.com/shivworks.htm, and get the Shivworks Fighting Handgun Vol. 1. It teaches the best draw stroke that you can find anywhere.
    Pierce

"Fear is what keeps you alive but panic is what kills you" - Leo

"At contact distances, if you can't shoot him, hit him...Nothing says 'TAP' can't be accomplished by smashing the magazine into his face." - Gomez

TRAMPLE THE WEAK AND HURDLE THE DEAD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links