Review: Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster

This is a discussion on Review: Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Taking the advice of acparmed, I recently bought an OWB Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster from Andrews Custom Leather for my Nighthawk Enforcer (and Kimber TLE ...

Thread: Review: Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster

DC Founder

Review: Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster

Taking the advice of acparmed, I recently bought an OWB Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster from Andrews Custom Leather for my Nighthawk Enforcer (and Kimber TLE II). This is one awesome holster.

I knew I was going to like this holster the moment I took it out of the bag. There's just something about a well designed and made leather holster. The uniqueness of the deep cut in the front, which significantly reduces the draw stroke on a full sized 1911, is striking. Your first thought is that the cut is going to prevent the gun from being secure in the holster. But as soon as you holster you see that nothing could be further from the truth. There is a muted, but distinct, "click" when you fully seat the gun. You can give it your best try at shaking it out of there and just ain't gonna happen. With the tension retainer screw at the bottom near the muzzle you can tighten or loosen the hold but even when completely loose the holster still secures the gun. The holster also has a full length front spring steel reinforcement.

I belted the holster down snug around my waist, straddling the belt loop that sits at about the 3:30 position (jeans), right where I like to carry. The curved design of the back of the holster makes it fit that part of your hip perfectly. At least it did on mine. Holstering my Nighthawk Enforcer I found that the gun rides very high with just the right amount of forward rake to make the grip of the 1911 disappear. It doesn't disappear at the expense of having the grip stick you in the side, though. In fact, you really don't notice that it's there, even on a plain leather street belt I have. I'm not sure why but I have always been very aware that I was carrying when I wore a non-custom holster.

I was in the middle of admiring the way the rig rode when my wife asked if I would make a run to the store with her. I threw on an open short-sleeved shirt over my tucked in tshirt and headed out. While seated in my vehicle, I drew and reholstered the gun a couple of times to see how well it would function from that position. By leaning forward just a bit (not extreme) you are able to make a smooth draw and reholster as well. The "click" of the holster lets you know that the gun is fully seated in the holster, which is reassuring. Getting in and out of the vehicle is easy, too. The gun rides high enough that you don't hit the steering wheel everytime you enter and exit.

In and out of a couple of stores and there was never once that I felt that I even might be printing. With the high, tight ride of the rig you know it's doing it's job at carrying and concealing perfectly and that you don't have to be concerned about printing. Confidence in my equipment doing what it is supposed to do is important to me. I don't want to have to always be wondering what is going on over there on my hip.

I have carried in this holster for about a month and I am extremely pleased with it. Like the IWB custom holster in my previous review, the workmanship, including the natural finish, soft suede lining, the edges and stitching in this holster is superior to any "factory made" holster I have run across. I spoke with Sam Andrews on the phone for 10-15 minutes while he noted details of what I was looking for in a holster, what specific gun I had, the carry position I preferred, etc. He's a good guy to talk with.

Negatives? From the first time I put it on, I have found nothing that I would change about this holster. There was no breakin period; it fit is perfect right out of the bag. And the more I carry it, the more I like it. No more Kydex for me. If you prefer, the holster is available in a thumbreak model, a crossdraw model, two models without the front cut and an IPSC model with a full front cut. For daily concealed carry of a full sized gun I highly recommend a model with the front cut.

If you want an extremely high quality OWB holster, I can't say enough about the Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster. At $95 for full custom leather holster, it's worth penny. It is also worth the wait. Now I am thinking I may need an Andrews Monarch Shoulder Holster.

Here's some pics:

Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster with Nighthawk Enforcer.

Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster with Nighthawk Enforcer showing cut.

Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster with Nighthawk Enforcer showing trigger area detail.

Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster muzzle end with tension retainer screw.

Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster with suede lining peeking out.

Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster (backside).

Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster (leather and stitching detail with tension retainer screw).
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006

Andrews Hybrid Saddle Holster

I have to agree with all you have posted about the holster.
    I have been carrying mine, and I have two of them, one for my full size Rock River and one for my Kimber CDP Compact. 99% of the time one of these is on my hip. It is beyond a doubt the best OWB carry holster I have found in my 30 years of carrying a gun. Mine is about 5 years old now and it is just as secure as the day it arrived. I have made thousands of 'presentations' from this holster. I have used it in competitions as well. The draw is clean and smooth. re-holstering is effortless and I find that I don't even look for where the muzzle is going, it just naturally finds its way back in.

So I will just tell everyone else what I told Bumper. Call Sam and order one. You will NOT be disappointed.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Bumper,

Do you realize that gun is cocked?

Just kidding!

Very nice leather, and appropriate for such a nice 1911. I don't think I could put a pistol like that in Kydex - it would be like wearing sneakers with your Tux.

I've been thinking about a Monarch myself. I'm pretty much a "same gun, same place" guy, but a shoulder rig would be nice for long drives.

SSKC

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    Do you realize that gun is cocked? Just kidding!
    Oh, my, I don't know what came over me!

Very nice leather, and appropriate for such a nice 1911. I don't think I could put a pistol like that in Kydex - it would be like wearing sneakers with your Tux.
    Thanks, SSKC. While I have, in the past, carried my Kimber (poor thing) in Kydex I have now sworn off of it. It's not really that there is anything wrong with Kydex, I just prefer leather, maybe because I am an old phart.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    It's not really that there is anything wrong with Kydex, I just prefer leather, maybe becuase I am an old phart.
    Agreed. Nuthin' wrong with kydex, and some of the new carbon fiber holsters look pretty neat. But...I'm kind of a traditionalist so I prefer leather as well. While a gun is, in reality, merely a tool, the combination of fine leather and a quality pistol turns the combo into art.

SSKC

Thumbs up Andrews Custom Leather

I have FOUR holsters from Sam. I like to get my initials put on for one made custom. Pictured (I hope) is the IPSC Saddle, an INCREDIBLE holster for CCW or competition. VERY fast and smooth.
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Wink Are Holsters a Fetish?

But...I'm kind of a traditionalist so I prefer leather as well.SSKC
    I agree. ANY EXCUSE to wear LEATHER.....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Good review and nice pics. That company makes good stuff. A former fellow officer has one of their McDaniel holsters for a Sig, and he really likes it.

Administrator

Thumbs up Andrews...One Heckova Leather Artist

That looks like it would be VERY FAST holster style to draw from. :thumbup:
    That's really a worthwhile design idea to have that excess forward leather trimmed away for a 3:30 position carry rig.
    I guessing about 2" less leather to clear.

"No more Kydex for me." Yea! "KILL COWS"...not Kydex
    and B.T.W. Innocent Cows are not killed for their leather....only for Filet Mignon. :icon_mrgr
    Leather is a By~Product of the beef industry.

Good Review!

Oh...and since you mentioned the fantastic Andrews Monarch Shoulder Holster. Photo Credit to The Andrews Leather Site.
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 29th, 2005 at 10:10 AM.

Links