Considering a CTAC vs leather - Page 2

Considering a CTAC vs leather

This is a discussion on Considering a CTAC vs leather within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The typical leather holster can get damp from sweat. Certain makers do something about that. I'm not sure what the Answer has exactly, other than ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering a CTAC vs leather

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    The typical leather holster can get damp from sweat. Certain makers do something about that. I'm not sure what the Answer has exactly, other than lining. But, for example, Garrity (As an option), lines back part of his holsters & puts a plastic (or similar material) liner in between it & the holster body, protecting the gun.

In my personal experience, & please keep in mind I do not wear an undershirt (Wife-beater or whatever) under my shirts during the summer (It's too stinking hot), so my holsters can end up getting damp by the end of the day.

Kydex is basically a plastic, so sweat, water, whatever, is not going to soak through. However, the properties that makes kydex good for that, also inhibits its flexibility.

Please keep in mind that it's a PERSONAL thing. Many people find kydex very comfortable during a long day. I'm just one of the people that doesn't. It has nothing to do with ego, just what works for me & what doesn't. I wish kydex would work. In fact, I'm probably getting a new gun soon (Hopefully) that comes with a kydex pocket holster. That'll be nice as my pocket holsters get damp too on hot summer days & I find myself pocket carrying my Kahr PM9 alot during the summer.

Good luck with the new holster though.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I forgot to add that if you don't wear an undershirt, you "might" have discomfort.

I recall that I developed a rash (Chafing?), if I wore a kydex or nylon holster IWB for a long time (Say over 4 hrs.). Because of that, I just find leather to be the most comfortable.

After writing all this, I just may order a holster from Garrity. Of course, I won't be able to use it untill next summer, but oh well.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    Mmmmmmm....Infidel. Good choice...did you go for the Gurka strap? If not, I would if I were you. Holds it very solid.
    I thought about the strut, but declined. I am wanting an IWB that's EASY to put on and take off...I'm lazy! If I discover after a wearing (or two) that I need the strut - they are only like 10 bucks and a phone call away! I think I'll like the Kydex...we'll see! As most of you know, I have been REALLY racking my brain trying to decide on a leather or Kydex IWB holster, and then...suddenly...a strange phenomenon happened! Well...I say "strange" it's actually happened to me a few other times as well. A member by the name of Echo Four came to my rescue. Echo Four just happened to have an UBG "Canute" that he traded to me for a Galco OWB holster. So now, I will have a leather IWB holster AND a Kydex IWB holster! Well...I don't have EITHER yet, but they are on the way!

All is right with the world...so far!

Glock 'em down, I am looking forward to your thoughts on the Infidel! I think you will like it. I do think that you may like the Gurkha strut . It really does help in keeping the holster from moving and rocking.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    Glock 'em down, I am looking forward to your thoughts on the Infidel! I think you will like it. I do think that you may like the Gurkha strut . It really does help in keeping the holster from moving and rocking.

Ron
    Does the Infidel move around and rock back and forth a lot?

I have not tried the Infidel with out the Gurkha strut but I did have one of the earlier Undercover models and I did not care for the way it moved around on me. Then again, maybe it was just me. That is a real possibility!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff_P239 View Post
    I have a Smith & Wesson M&P Compact in 9mm on its way this week and it will be my carry gun once I have put a number of rounds through it so I need a good IWB holster. I know a lot of people love the CTAC and recommend them highly, which is why I'm considering going with it over the K&D Maverick Defender and Milt Sparks VM2 that I have already ordered. One of the main reasons I'm considering the CTAC is the adjustability. Another reason (and one that might get me laughed at) is the fact that something used in the construction of leather holsters seems to give me a headache. I don't know if it's the dye or what, but it really gets to me. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, does it go away? I love the appearance of leather but don't want to deal with headaches (I get enough of them on my own).

Nothing funny about that at all. If your system reacts to any material then it's something you should avoid. My guess is it's something in the finish coating or sealant but it could be anything from the tanning process on really. There's some good kydex gear out there if that's what you need but like leather, you still might end up with a box full of it before you find one that works.

Good luck finding the right rig!
    Jack

Well, I went ahead and ordered a CTAC for the M&P Compact. I'll probably pick up the gun tomorrow and hopefully my Trijicon night sights will come in the mail as well so I can have them installed before my first trip to the range. Comp-Tac says 2-3 weeks wait is typical, so I have a little waiting to do before I can make my judgment. If anyone needs a UBG Canute for a Sig P239 and a double mag carrier, I have a brand new one up for sale since the M&P will be my carry gun.

Make sure you post that in the Classified Section so it'll get the most views.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Make sure you post that in the Classified Section so it'll get the most views.
    Jack
    Roger on that one, already done.

Comp-Tac says 2-3 weeks wait is typical

Thats what they told me as well for my USP compact. They told me they were back logged from orders. But it only took 8 days for it to show up. Maybe I am lucky or maybe Comp-Tac kicks ass, maybe its both.

But I love my C-Tac for my USPc. I even use the finger grooved mag plates and have no issue with them sticking out in my shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scheetz View Post
    Thats what they told me as well for my USP compact. They told me they were back logged from orders. But it only took 8 days for it to show up. Maybe I am lucky or maybe Comp-Tac kicks ass, maybe its both.
    Comp-Tac's estimates seem to be on the high side. I've placed several orders with them and non of them have taken as long as they said it would. I guess they'd rather we be favorably surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Comp-Tac's estimates seem to be on the high side. I've placed several orders with them and non of them have taken as long as they said it would. I guess they'd rather we be favorably surprised.
    Good to know. I'm not exactly the most patient person in the world.

Well, I went ahead and ordered a CTAC for the M&P Compact. I'll probably pick up the gun tomorrow and hopefully my Trijicon night sights will come in the mail as well so I can have them installed before my first trip to the range. Comp-Tac says 2-3 weeks wait is typical, so I have a little waiting to do before I can make my judgment. If anyone needs a UBG Canute for a Sig P239 and a double mag carrier, I have a brand new one up for sale since the M&P will be my carry gun.
    A couple people have said this already, but I can tell you again that Comp-Tac does seem to over-estimate. I got the same "2-3 weeks" message when I placed my order on a Sunday night. I was surprised to have my C-TAC in hand just the following Friday (only 5 days!!!). They'll keep you well updated via email to let you know what's going on.

Edit: Oh, I also received a package of Sweet-Tarts with my order. That's what I call friendly (and delicious) service.
    Last edited by lexington86; June 20th, 2007 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added something
    ~Lex

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    - Pennsylvania Constitution, Section 21

Dramatic Hamster (my avatar)

They told me "around" 10 business days...which is "around" 2 weeks. Of course...I'm in Oklahoma and they are in The Great State of Texas - MY NEIGHBORS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links