Considering a CTAC vs leather

This is a discussion on Considering a CTAC vs leather within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Smith & Wesson M&P Compact in 9mm on its way this week and it will be my carry gun once I have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering a CTAC vs leather

Considering a CTAC vs leather

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P Compact in 9mm on its way this week and it will be my carry gun once I have put a number of rounds through it so I need a good IWB holster. I know a lot of people love the CTAC and recommend them highly, which is why I'm considering going with it over the K&D Maverick Defender and Milt Sparks VM2 that I have already ordered. One of the main reasons I'm considering the CTAC is the adjustability. Another reason (and one that might get me laughed at) is the fact that something used in the construction of leather holsters seems to give me a headache. I don't know if it's the dye or what, but it really gets to me. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, does it go away? I love the appearance of leather but don't want to deal with headaches (I get enough of them on my own).

2. Remove Ads

If you get a headache with leather products I would go with the C-TAC.

There are enough people here with rave reviews of the C-TAC that I do believe you'll be happy with it. If for some reason you aren't, I'm sure it wouldn't take long at all to unload it here or on ebay.

There are a lot of people here with M&P 9mm Compacts as well, so again, I don't think you'll have a problem unloading it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a C-TAC for my M&P 9mm (full size) and absolutely love it.

I can't speak for the leather, but you can't go wrong with the C-TAC.
    ~Lex

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."
    - Pennsylvania Constitution, Section 21

Dramatic Hamster (my avatar)

VIP Member
    One thing is, if you don't like the C-TAC there's a very good chance someone here will snatch it up from you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I love leather as much as the next guy, but personally...I think the love of leather is kinda overrated...an EGO thing, if you will. Now before you all start casting sticks and stones, let me explain. Custom leather, IMO, is made for gorgeous, beautiful "ego" guns, such as 1911s, Hi Powers and maybe a few others. But "working" guns like Glocks, XD's, M&P's and USP's perform better, IMO, in Kydex. What was it one member said...A Glock in custom leather is like a goat driving a Cadillac? Now of course...with that being said, I am "patiently" waiting for a UBG "Canute" as we speak, but it's being sent to me by a friend so I should have it this week. I also have a Comp-Tac "Infidel" on order too. Which one will I use more? I don't know. I'm gonna wear 'em both off and on and see who gets the nod. This way - I have both and then I can decide which one will get more "ride" time. I like the idea of Kydex being impervious to sweat and solvents, since I am a "secreator" by nature (one who perspires frequently) this is a plus in Oklahoma's EXTREME summer heat! I also like the fact that Kydex WILL NOT collapse when the weapon is drawn, thus complicating proper pistol re-holstering without digging the muzzle into the mouth of the holster, prying it open...kinda like I do when trying to give my youngest daughter a dose of Robitussin! I WAS gonna order a Milt Sparks VM2, but I think I'll keep my 100 bucks and spend 6 months doing something besides watching the mailbox.

Anyway...please don't hate me!

Good luck!

My 1911s ride in a shark trimmed 5 Shot Leather "Uncle Lou" and I can't think of them going into plastic or nylon. They're not anyting fancy...3 Kimbers and a Para...but just something in me like leather for 1911s.
    Now..I"m waiting on a callback from Blade Tech to see if they can make me a kydex iwb rig for my USPc/tac light combo.

If you even think leather might give you grief...go kydex. Too much money and time invested waiting for leather just to find out you can't use it.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up for the C.T.A.C.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    If you even think leather might give you grief...go kydex. Too much money and time invested waiting for leather just to find out you can't use it.
    Well said!

I like the hybrid leather-kydex combo holsters made by Crossbreed holsters- the gun fits into a kydex holster fitted to a leather backing plate. I use one for my Glock 26 and it is the most comfortable holster that I have.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbilldavis View Post
    I like the hybrid leather-kydex combo holsters made by Crossbreed holsters- the gun fits into a kydex holster fitted to a leather backing plate. I use one for my Glock 26 and it is the most comfortable holster that I have.
    I have been looking at the Crossbreed holster as well. What happens when the leather gets soaked with sweat? I like the idea, but the C-Tac make more sense to me.

I plan on ordering the C-Tac for my M&P9 this week.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Might have your Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Spiff_P239 View Post
    I have a Smith & Wesson M&P Compact in 9mm on its way this week and it will be my carry gun once I have put a number of rounds through it so I need a good IWB holster. I know a lot of people love the CTAC and recommend them highly, which is why I'm considering going with it over the K&D Maverick Defender and Milt Sparks VM2 that I have already ordered. One of the main reasons I'm considering the CTAC is the adjustability. Another reason (and one that might get me laughed at) is the fact that something used in the construction of leather holsters seems to give me a headache. I don't know if it's the dye or what, but it really gets to me. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, does it go away? I love the appearance of leather but don't want to deal with headaches (I get enough of them on my own).
    Here's one of the few places you can have your cake and eat it too. Why not get the best of both worlds? The Tucker Answer has the adustability, speed and low profile of the CTAC and the all-day comfort of leather. It has a chrome tanned suede backing so it stays put on your side; not sliding around like kydex. Since the suede is bonded and stitched to the backing leather, it provides a moisture barrier so the leather doesnt wick sweat onto the gun. I have carried in mine, every week day, in all weather, for over a year and the suede is still soft and new-looking. The outer kydex shell is made by Comptac and is the same material as in the CTAC. Lifetime guarantee and Tucker quality.

"Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I like the Answer. I just can't bring myself to pay 125 bucks for one. Or wait 12 weeks.

Anyone have some good pics of the Crossbreed?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, there's still quite a bit of leather on the Answer & Crossbreed, so if that's the problem, you're probably better off not taking a chance on them.

I did almost buy a C-TAC, in fact, I bought it & tried it briefly. It wasn't for me & the seller (A member here, of course), was nice enough to allow me to send it back & refund me.

But, if I was going to get a kydex IWB & I wasn't going to carry it appendix (Like I normally do), I'd buy a C-TAC because of its adjustability. It's well put together, with washers & a small piece of lether for movement, & all in all very nice.

Over a long day, though, I prefer leather because of its give. I wish I didn't, because kydex is better for the hot summers here.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Over a long day, though, I prefer leather because of its give. I wish I didn't, because kydex is better for the hot summers here.
    How is Kydex better in hot climates over leather? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just ordered a Comp-Tac "Infidel" and want to see the pros & cons of kydex in hot, humid climates.

Mmmmmmm....Infidel. Good choice...did you go for the Gurka strap? If not, I would if I were you. Holds it very solid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links