Kydex and hot weather - Page 2

Kydex and hot weather

This is a discussion on Kydex and hot weather within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rmarkob Hahaha! Ok, I never heard of moleskin until reading these CCW threads, but I read the wikipedia entry and now know ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kydex and hot weather

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Hahaha! Ok, I never heard of moleskin until reading these CCW threads, but I read the wikipedia entry and now know what it is. Two questions: 1) Where do you get it? 2) Is it adhesive on one side, so you can just cut it to fit and stick it on the kydex?
    Do you guys have Wal-Marts up there in PA? If not - your local dept store or shoestore should have moleskin. It's sold with the shoe insoles, corn pads, foot powders, etc. It's sticky/adhesive on one side, padded flannel on the other.

Sorry all...didn't mean to be flippant...

The moleskin works wonders. I did this to my CTAC a few years back (along with switching the tabs). I find the moleskin needs to be replaced every year or so.(seasonally) I just peel it off, remove the glue residue with GooGone, wipe it down with denatured alchohol to assure adhesion of the new moleskin. I have covered the back of the holster, and the tabs and their associated speednuts. I just "knocks the edge" off wearing the hard kydex.

Comp Tac arrived about 5min ago. I will let you know as weather around here for the next little bit will be well into the upper 80's and 90's with about 80-100% humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by tnxd9er View Post
    Thanks for all of the great options. I live in the Memphis area where we do experience a little humidity!! I'm not a fan of wearing 2 shirts and have never worn a tank top under but will try. A few years ago I bought a couple of those mesh tank tops for when I'm out working in the yard so may try one of those under.
    It gets a little, umm .... moist there I'll give ya' that. Just Look at what it did to that Sig P239 guy, he sweated down to nuthin'!

Seriously though, give the tank top a try. The multi-packs are cheap at Wally World, it might not work for you but it's worth a shot.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Do you guys have Wal-Marts up there in PA? If not - your local dept store or shoestore should have moleskin. It's sold with the shoe insoles, corn pads, foot powders, etc. It's sticky/adhesive on one side, padded flannel on the other.
    You bet we do! (but no nachos there)

I'll take a look. Thanks.

I've been wearing a CTAC w/ a G27 everyday for about 3 weeks. Im in Central FL, and I wear jeans or pants to work every day. I dont have much problem with the CTAC sticking to my skin. I DO work inside now instead of in the field, so take that as you will. The only problem I have had with the CTAC is that if you screw the kydex attachment tabs (J,C, or Standard clips) in too far the bolt will stick out and poke your skin/hip/butt/whatever. I have backed them out a couple turns now, and it seems to be ok.

Added note: I'm a tall thin guy 6'1 160lbs.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Well, placed an order for one last night. When it arrives I'll head over to Wally World and get some Moleskin and see how it does. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all of the great information on your experiences. This is a great site with tons of great information.

Quote Originally Posted by tnxd9er View Post
    Well, placed an order for one last night. When it arrives I'll head over to Wally World and get some Moleskin and see how it does. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all of the great information on your experiences. This is a great site with tons of great information.
    Yes it is an EXCELLENT site! Lots of good guys with good info to share...even though I manage to get SOMEBODY'S feathers ruffled quite often! I dunno...maybe I post too much, or say the wrong things, or attack the wrong people...or...all of the above! Oh well...that's life!

as others have said a lightweight tank top wears nice under your over shirt. also your over shirt doesn't get as sweaty as the tank top absorbs most of your sweat.
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

Quote Originally Posted by V-fib View Post
    as others have said a lightweight tank top wears nice under your over shirt. also your over shirt doesn't get as sweaty as the tank top absorbs most of your sweat.
    +1 undershirt, maybe even an "A" shirt (the kind you see in old movies). Works for me.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links