Defensive Carry banner

Kydex and hot weather

6K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  DirtDawg 
#1 ·
I need to order an IWB for my XD9 Service since my CCW should be coming in the next couple of weeks. I sweat like crazy whenever I'm outside, even when just walking so decided against leather. I am really leaning towards the Comp-Tac CTAC but am looking for some information on users of the the Comp-Tac products that wear in hot weather. I don't wear tee shirts under my shirts, except during the winter so will be wearing with shorts, jeans or slacks with a Tommy Bahama, T shirt or other shirt that will not be tucked in. I have one of those bellies that stick out a little farther than it should so the untucked shirts look better on me.

Will the CTAC or for that matter any of the Kydex holsters stick to my skin making it uncomfortable or will they be OK? I don't want to wear OWB and the size of the XD9 really won't work pocket carry or ankle carry.

#2 ·
I carry my Glock in a CTAC which I got in the winter and with all the layers I was wearing it was very comfortable, best holster I have ever used.

Since it's gotten warmer I continue to wear a light tshirt under whatever I wear, which is usually a short sleeve polo for work. I'll often wear tshirts on the weekend and will wear a light undershirt under a normal tshirt. Not a huge difference up here in New England but I could see how one wouldn't want to wear any more layers than necessary in the 100% humidity of the south.

I'm going to look into coating the body side of the holster, especially above the belt line where it's pressed against my side, with moleskin to prevent stickage and minimize discomfort from rubbing. It's no thicker than a tshirt and just as soft. I think the only issue would come from the grip of the weapon itself against my side but you'd have that issue with or without kydex.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
The kydex might bother your skin from sweating & moving around. Some people don't have a problem. I do know that I develop a rash from the chafing if worn for many hours in one day (Say, over 4 hrs.). That's why I prefer leather.

However, leather's not the best either, unless something's used in between your skin & the gun to keep sweat from hitting the gun.

#4 ·
We get a lot of 90 degree plus days with high humidity in KS during the summer. Believe it or not, a light, snug, white tee shirt under your button up is cooler than without. I'm outside in a long sleeve dress shirt, with a tie, all summer. A green can of Gold Bond does wonders, too.

#5 ·
Ohio gets pretty humid in July and August. Not as bad as the deep south, but 75 to 90% RH days are not uncommon here in those months.

I covered the back of my CTAC with moleskin, which makes it feel better against the skin. That covering includes the two rivnuts that attach the clips to the leather tabs.

I also wear a t shirt under polos and buttoned shirts. Ten years in a US Navy uniform have made me used to dressing like that, including working in the engine room of steam powered ships.

#8 ·
Not sure where you are in TN but here in Nashville... yep, kydex sticks to skin. I can't stand full two full layers in the Spring or Summer so I wear A-shirts (wife beaters/tank tops) under an untucked cover shirt. Another option to look at might be underarmor.

Personally, with a wife beater and lightweight cover shirt I haven't had any trouble carrying in leather. Kydex is fine for some folks but I find it stiff and uncomfortable.
Jack

#10 ·
How do you get the fur off the mole's or do you just shampoo it frequently? :rofl:

Seriously... Great Idea... I'm gonna look into it myself.

#13 ·
Hahaha! Ok, I never heard of moleskin until reading these CCW threads, but I read the wikipedia entry and now know what it is. Two questions: 1) Where do you get it? 2) Is it adhesive on one side, so you can just cut it to fit and stick it on the kydex?

#15 ·
Thanks for all of the great options. I live in the Memphis area where we do experience a little humidity!! I'm not a fan of wearing 2 shirts and have never worn a tank top under but will try. A few years ago I bought a couple of those mesh tank tops for when I'm out working in the yard so may try one of those under.

#19 ·
It gets a little, umm .... moist there I'll give ya' that. Just Look at what it did to that Sig P239 guy, he sweated down to nuthin'! :tongue:

Seriously though, give the tank top a try. The multi-packs are cheap at Wally World, it might not work for you but it's worth a shot.
Jack

#17 ·
Sorry all...didn't mean to be flippant...

The moleskin works wonders. I did this to my CTAC a few years back (along with switching the tabs). I find the moleskin needs to be replaced every year or so.(seasonally) I just peel it off, remove the glue residue with GooGone, wipe it down with denatured alchohol to assure adhesion of the new moleskin. I have covered the back of the holster, and the tabs and their associated speednuts. I just "knocks the edge" off wearing the hard kydex.

#21 ·
I've been wearing a CTAC w/ a G27 everyday for about 3 weeks. Im in Central FL, and I wear jeans or pants to work every day. I dont have much problem with the CTAC sticking to my skin. I DO work inside now instead of in the field, so take that as you will. The only problem I have had with the CTAC is that if you screw the kydex attachment tabs (J,C, or Standard clips) in too far the bolt will stick out and poke your skin/hip/butt/whatever. I have backed them out a couple turns now, and it seems to be ok.

Added note: I'm a tall thin guy 6'1 160lbs.

#22 ·
Well, placed an order for one last night. When it arrives I'll head over to Wally World and get some Moleskin and see how it does. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all of the great information on your experiences. This is a great site with tons of great information.

#23 ·
Yes it is an EXCELLENT site! Lots of good guys with good info to share...even though I manage to get SOMEBODY'S feathers ruffled quite often! I dunno...maybe I post too much, or say the wrong things, or attack the wrong people...or...all of the above! Oh well...that's life! :bier:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.