Middle Of Back Carry? Anyone?

This is a discussion on Middle Of Back Carry? Anyone? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please tell me if anyone carries in the MOB. I have a Taurus Millenium, and getting a bulman gunleather holster called "closing argument" but also ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle Of Back Carry? Anyone?

Member Array Angel in San Antonio's Avatar

Please tell me if anyone carries in the MOB. I have a Taurus Millenium, and getting a bulman gunleather holster called "closing argument" but also like cross breed's MOB holster. Yall's thoughts please..

Angel

Welcome San Antonio.

This has been covered on several threads you can search for.

However, my position is NO! I don't have the numbers but I know more than one cop has been paralyzed by falling onto a mag light flashlight, handcuffs or a gun carried in that position.

Having a hard piece of steel right over your spine could cause you to spend rest of life in a wheel chair, or at least herniate a disc leading to years of pain and surgery.

Lots of people say MOB carry is kind of uncomfortable especially when sitting in a hard back chair. Plus it "clunks" with a noticable sound when sitting in a hard back chair or booth.

If you really want to carry that way, I would move it over your kidney area and not have hard metal over my spine.

I used to carry my 6 cell mag light that way for years working on ambulance until I read articles in gun magazines cautioning against that mode of carry.

I have a personal friend of mine who blew out his back in the ER because a violent patient pushed him against a stainless steel scrub sink in the ER. Same effect as falling on your gun. He is now permanently disabled, had 3 back surgeries and is essentially a junkie because he lives on pain pills. Very sad situation.

Just my opinion
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I don't think you're going to find many people (Especially on this forum), that like or will suggest using MOB/SOB holsters.

Personally, I think it's too uncomfortable & if you fall on your back or slam back into anything, it's going to hurt & maybe do some permanent damage.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Administrator
    I think the risk of injury due to SOB carry for average citizens is minimal.
    The potential risk for law enforcement would (of course) be greater because they are involved in potential scuffles and physical confrontations on an almost daily basis.
    They are at greater risk for low back damage.
    Most "Average Joe American" type folks are just not apprehending and restraining Bad Guys every day and so their only real risk for low back injury resulting from SOB carry would be a Slip & Fall type situation.

That being said directly Small Of Back is not the most comfortable spot to position a firearm.
    Buying a standard SOB holster and wearing it not quite halfway between the spine and the strong side hip is usually a more comfortable location.

If you do decide to carry at 6:00 directly over the spine then just do not carry in that location if you live in an area where sidewalks, streets, steps and driveways get icy in winter.
    On those sorts of slippery, hazardous icy condition days - pick a different carry location and you should be fine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Having already sustained a spinal injury, the thought of carrying a good size block of metal at my spinal column gives me the willies thinking of the potential in a fall. I also don't like the idea of sweeping bystanders during a draw.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Having already sustained a spinal injury, the thought of carrying a good size block of metal at my spinal column gives me the willies thinking of the potential in a fall....
    That makes two of us. I'm already on disability retirement due to lumbar spinal damage so the idea of risking further injury makes me way more than uncomfortable. Ain't no way, no how I'll carry anything SOB.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    Other arguments aside, I found SOB carry too uncomfortable and printed too much when leaning over, ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel in San Antonio View Post
    Please tell me if anyone carries in the MOB. Yall's thoughts please..

Angel
    You've seen the short version here in your thread. Do a search (From the blue bar above) on "SOB" and it shoud get you a couple of longer threads that have taken place in the past.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Tried it once, hurt sitting, poor draw. Bad for me.

SOB/MOB carry is dangerous - not only for you, but for bystanders as well. The reasons have been pretty well expressed by others, so I will not belabor the point.

In some ways, this is a training issue, rather than a holster concern. Most all folks who have had at least one good pistolcraft class would not be caught dead wearing such a holster. A strong side design is much safer, more easily retained/controlled, faster & more accessible. Strong side holsters also draw in a straight line with your target, whereas SOB/MOB designs usually cause you to "swing" past your intended target - which requires a sight picture correction - which takes time that you may not have.

In any event, Welcome aboard!!! You'll find a lot of great folks here who are very knowledgeable and more than willing to help a new guy. Please feel free to ask questions - someone will most likely have an answer for you. Good luck!

Administrator
    I don't carry SOB so I don't want to come across as being some sort of super advocate for Small Of Back carry but, I like to keep things realistic.

The last time that I fell over backward was probably when I was two years old.
    So I don't think that most "everyday ordinary people" fall over back wards too many time in the course of one lifetime unless they have a serious drinking or drug problem.

When you factor in that not every backward fall is going to damage your spine just because you have a firearm located there and that even if you did end up with a sore back not every backward fall is going to result in any permanent injury....the actual "real world" danger is super minimal.

Normal people just do not fall over backward that often.
    So by using some "common sense" and not carrying at a 6:00 location if conditions are "Icy" I'd guess the the "risk" was near zero.

I remember that a friend of mine was late for work and he went running out of his house one winter morning and when he hit the top porch step it was a sheet of ice...his feet went out from under him and his lower back hit the very edge of a concrete step which caused him permanent low back injury.
    He was NOT carrying a firearm but, if he was carrying one SOB his spine probably would have been damaged LESS as the actual impact would have been more "spread out" than the sharp corner of the concrete hitting one vertebrae.
    Just an added FYI.

Drawing from SOB it's possible to come straight out of the holster and then muzzle to the ground - come to the side of the body and then up...so while it's technically possible to draw from SOB without covering innocent folks and your own body...I'm not sure that I could do it in a SHTF "firearm needed lightning fast" scenario.

My own personal objection to SOB carry is that I feel that re-holstering is potentially more dangerous.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    So I don't think that most "everyday ordinary people" fall over back wards too many time in the course of one lifetime unless they have a serious drinking or drug problem.

Normal people just do not fall over backward that often.
    Very true...but you must consider that if you are in a scenario where you might need your gun ie: a fight that is escalating into a deadly encounter, then hitting the ground is much more likely. Personally, I'm not that worried about spine injury carrying that way, I just don't because I don't like having my gun behind me...and it stinks for sitting down.

SOB carry seems like a good idea until you fall backwards and paralyze yourself...

Plus it wouldn't be that hard for someone to take the gun from you...at least when its on your side your arm is usually in the way--or can easily be placed in the way.

I'm one of those few that actually DO fall quite often. Several reasons that's so but I'll just say ... it only takes once to change your life forever.
    Jack

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    My point I was trying to make to the original poster is that I didn't believe he'll get much positive info from people on this forum.

Whether you think you're risking spinal injury or that's it's unsafe to draw from, protect from, or just plain uncomfortable when you sit down, I haven't heard anyone come out & say it's the best way to carry.

Personally, I don't know anyone who's hurt their spine from falling while carrying SOB & I've been in LE for over 14 yrs. I have heard 2nd & 3rd hand stories (& some from members here). Regardless, I too have a back injury that I've been dealing with for the last 4 yrs. (Fractured vertabrae & 4 torn discs), so I wouldn't carry that way.

If you want to, go ahead, but it's just not a popular method of carrying. Typically, people carry strongside "somewhere" around their hip (just in front, at, or behind the hip), & some carry appendix (Like myself for my Kahr PM9, Taurus PT145, & Glock 19). & I imagine there's some that actually carry it crossdraw (Or do when they're driving).

Far be it from me to condemn someone SOB carrying, but it's just not a popular method of carrying, & COULD (In the right circumstances) injure you. Of course, I suppose you could fall on your gun & injure yourself, no matter WHERE you carry.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links