Agravating IWB Holster Hunt

This is a discussion on Agravating IWB Holster Hunt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, A few weeks back, I posted a thread asking for advice looking for a step up from the current Uncle Mike's IWB holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agravating IWB Holster Hunt

Agravating IWB Holster Hunt

Hello all,
    A few weeks back, I posted a thread asking for advice looking for a step up from the current Uncle Mike's IWB holster I'm carrying my PT111 in. Since then, tireless evenings of research on literally dozens of websites have lead me to a conclusion - ARRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm having no luck finding a holster in the configuration that I have my little heart set on, and numerous custom holster makers have declined to respond to my inquiries. So, I again turn to you all for help, this time with more specifics.

I really want to find a holster that I can wear IWB, at about 5 or 5:30, that has a thumb break retention strap, (I know many believe it's unneccesary with IWB carry, but it just makes me feel better!), and is of the design with a single belt attachment (clip or loop) in the center of the holster, as opposed to an attachment to both sides of the holster, in black leather or suede. And just to make things really diffulcult, I'd really like to find one that I can carry "mirrored" from the traditional strong side direction, meaning with the grip pointing towards the right, not the left, maybe with a 15 degree cant to the right. (I keep trying to think of a better way to explain that, have yet to, hopefully that makes sense. Essentially, the direction and angle of SOB carry, but scooted over a few inches so as to not bang up my spine when I inevitable trip and fall on my piece one day.)

Do any of you fine folks have any suggestions for me??? Ever seen a holster of this design, or know of some one that could custom make one? Am I just doomed? I'm going bananas over here..................
    .40 is fine.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Sounds like you want a crossdraw holster for LH & with a thumbstrap on it.

Have you talked to Mark Garrity (Garrity holsters) about many adding a thumbstrap to his triskel for a left hander?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Is there a reason that you want the grip facing the right? Because if I'm seeing this correctly in my head your going to cover yourself with your own muzzle every time you draw.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Cockedlocked, the Triskel has the duel belt clips off to each side, which just feels too bulky too me, but there were a couple other models on there that look like they could be a start, I'll contact him tomorrow, thank you for the lead.

Lickey, that's definately a valid concern, but weird as it sounds, that angle feels a lot more natural to me, and works better for when I have my cover garment buttoned up for work. I've tried standard strong side, just doesn't work for me. I've thought a lot about the angles involved in drawing from how I want to carry, and practiced lots, and the way I naturally draw basically keeps the muzzle towards the ground as I bring my arm and hand around to being on target. Definately a good point to raise, though, thanks.
    .40 is fine.

Administrator
    If you are willing to throw enough money at it then you should be able to get one of the custom makers to make the rig up for you and do a really nice job of it.

You should be prepared to make your wallet lots thinner though because it sounds like you're basically looking for a total custom rig that is designed from the ground up.

That normally involves starting with paper patterns and then doing a leather prototype to check the design feasibility (possibly more than one leather prototype) making slight design changes - and only then beginning work on the final holster.

Just FYI that you should plan on a final cost of at least three or four times over the cost of their already established and more typical designs.

Often the cost will be higher still...because you'll likely be charged for the other holsters that they are not able to make while they are doing the design and "mock up" of yours.

That's the reality of it but, if you want one bad enough then start contacting the custom makers.
    Just be prepared in advance to pay the bigger bucks.

Also expect some makers to decline making your proposed rig because if they are already extremely backlogged with many existing orders they may not want to totally screw up the flow of their production schedule no matter what you're willing to pay.

I sure don't want to scare you away from trying.
    If you luck out and find a specific holster design that is ALMOST exactly what you want and you're able to say something like "just add a retention strap to that holster" then it could go cheaper for you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It sounds like a Bianchi 3S will do what you want, but it doesn't come in Black. I suppose you might find a cobbler or someone similar who could re-dye it. If ordered in a left hand model, it should work.

Generally, the single belt loop in the back is bulkier than the two widely spaced loops. The single adds the thickness of that loop whereas the split loop does away with that thickness. Usually the split loop design is more stable. You might want to take a look at www.andrewsleather.com . Sam Andrews has a couple of holsters that might suit you. Your requirements may just require some comprimize.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Tegemu...you took the words right out of my....er, fingers?

The ILLUSION that the wide spaced loops is more bulky is just that...an ILLUSION! It actually is much more stable and much thinner to carry than the stacked loop design.

People are stuck in "their ways" and they look at holster mass/design the wrong way more than they dont. A single belt attachment is gonna add thickness right over the gun, instability is just inherent to any design like this and so on and so on.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Mark Garrity would be my first suggestion for something of a full custom nature. We have plenty of top notch leather crafters here on the forum but most are in very high demand and their backlogs reflect that. As QK said, if you're truly set on a full custom rig then it's possible but the cost and waiting period may very well be greater than what you're willing to endure.

Anyway, drop Mark an email (he says it's the best way to contact him) and see if he can come up with what you're looking for.
    http://www.garritysgunleather.com/

This is a Ted Blocker model 12. I don't know if they come in black or not. The single belt loop can pivot around the snap so you can adjust the cant to pretty much whatever works for you.
    Last edited by mcp1810; June 21st, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by past60 View Post
    It sounds like a Bianchi 3S will do what you want, but it doesn't come in Black. I suppose you might find a cobbler or someone similar who could re-dye it. If ordered in a left hand model, it should work.
    +1 take a look at this holster bud, I think it might be what you are looking for.

Sounds like what you're wanting is an IWB holster with a single cant adjustable mounting point so you can wear it strong side or cross draw.

A Tucker Coverup with a thumb break would fit your bill. The thumb break isn't listed as an option but give them a call, I bet they'll do one for you.

Joe

Administrator

Just my personal opinion that the top custom makers have so many completed holsters "under their respective belts" (No Pun Intended) that they (For Sure) already know what works best for daily carry.

There are very few totally revolutionary holster designs remaining to be invented or designed.

I guess that is because for a very long time SO MANY holster makers have already experimented and prototyped every conceivable design and configuration in order to secure a firearm to nearly every practical carry location on the human body.

What we are left with today is sort of the "Natural Selection" of Holster Evolution ~ where only the best/strongest have survived.
    The holster designs being produced by the best of the best holster makers are pretty doggone incredible these days.

We are amazingly fortunate in 2007 to have some Select Few makers crafting these superior carry rigs that are just so doggone flawless - as well as being BEAUTIFUL in their workmanship, functionality, and appearance.

Some of these makers...that participate on DefensiveCarry are producing holsters that are so fine I'm wondering why the Smithsonian Museum has not asked them for representative examples of their work. I'm being serious when I say that. They have reached the pinnacle of their craft in leather working.

How much BETTER can they get?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post
    Cockedlocked, the Triskel has the duel belt clips off to each side, which just feels too bulky too me, but there were a couple other models on there that look like they could be a start, I'll contact him tomorrow, thank you for the lead.
    Sorry, I meant the Changeling. A left handed Changeling with thumb snap seems to me to fit what you want.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Go give Sam a call and ask about the MacDaniel II Crossdraw he'll fix you up. http://www.andrewsleather.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links