Ladies who carry in a carry purse..... - Page 3

Ladies who carry in a carry purse.....

This is a discussion on Ladies who carry in a carry purse..... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see many in here think that on body carry is a option for all women...it is not. Heavy women or disabled women don't usually ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ladies who carry in a carry purse.....

I see many in here think that on body carry is a option for all women...it is not. Heavy women or disabled women don't usually have that option. I have a short waist that even kept me from carrying my radio at work on my waist when I weighted 130 pounds.
    Women who are older have many challenges to carry. Purses for many are the only way. One just has to remember to guard that purse. When I am going in and out of stores...my hand is on my weapon...."fatboy" purse is around my neck and at my side.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I have one purse from http://www.coronadoleather.com/ The compartment has velcro and a holster It sticks really well to the sides of the compartment. Try Velcro on the holster it will be easier than sewing or glueing cardboard.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Hi,

I am not going to harp about "on body" carry as the one and only method of carry for everybody. It is not! Yes, carrying on the body is the preferred method of carry for a lot of reasons, of which I am sure you've heard them all. And I certainly recommend "on body" carry.

However, if "off body" is the only way for you to carry, then by all means, carry that way. Having a gun with you is certainly better than leaving it at home because everyone says you "must" have it on your body. If carrying on your body is too painful, then don't carry it that way. Not all women are built the same, and not all women who carry guns are small shapely forms no matter what people think. As a matter of fact, they are probably in the minority.

I would recommend a purse specifically built as a gun purse. Most of them are not cheap, but a few of them are reasonable. I recommend "Coronado Leather" as a starting point. I think the link is in one of the posts above.

Galco also makes holster purses as well as several of the commercial holster makers.

Some regular store bought purses can be used as a holster purse but you do need to use some thought in looking for what will work.

It is important that you keep the gun in a dedicated "gun compartment" on whatever purse you use and not put any other "purse/womens essentials" in the same compartment as your gun. The only thing should be in the gun compartment is the gun and your reloads. Also the gun should be in some sort of holster inside the "gun compartment." It can be attached to the wall of the compartment with velcro if needed.

If not using a specifically designed gun purse, but are using a regular store bought purse, you should make sure that you have easy access to the gun compartment and the compartment should be able to be closed with a zipper or secure snaps.

You should spend "a lot" of time practicing with your purse. How you will carry it (looped over your head, over your shoulder or hand carried) and know what advantages come with each method.

Whether carried over your strong side shoulder or strap over your head you should keep the body of your purse pinned between your body and your arm to help guard against purse snatching. And maybe even have your off hand grasping the strap.

Some dedicated gun purses use a thin steel aircraft cable "sandwiched" between the layers of leather in the strap to keep a purse snatcher from using a razor blade and cutting the strap and running off with your purse. (common method of snatching a purse in NYC and LA, D.C. and to a lesser degree other high crime areas of large cities)

If you don't mind a utilitarian/sports look, that I see a lot of women carrying these days, Maxpedition makes a "versipak" called the "Fatboy" and "Jumbo Versipak" that doesn't look too military if you get it in black. The Fatboy and Jumbo also has an "S Type" which is the same pack but pockets are reversed for left handed people I got my wife the Fatboy recently so she doesn't wear out her expensive gun purse prematurely. She seems to like it fine and it works.

The other real consideration with "off body" carry is you need to really have and maintain a much stronger level of awareness at all times.

Guarding against purse snatching, leaving the purse unattended even for a couple of minutes, forgetting it somewhere, or just not paying attention when you have it sitting down somewhere is paramount!

You don't want to be responsible for letting a gun get loose in the general public or handing it over to a criminal if it gets snatched.

These are not insurmountable. It just takes a conscious effort, and practice and learning that it's no longer "just a purse."

As time progresses, and you can financially afford it, I would recommend that you do investigate "on body" carry at some point. It may require you to meet personally with a custom holster maker and having a "one of a kind" holster made.

Still, I certainly understand your dilemma and hope some of these recommendations prove helpful.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links