Ladies who carry in a carry purse.....

This is a discussion on Ladies who carry in a carry purse..... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am brand new to carry, forgive my stupid questions. I tried a few days with a purse designed for gun carry (conceiled). It has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies who carry in a carry purse.....

I am brand new to carry, forgive my stupid questions.

I tried a few days with a purse designed for gun carry (conceiled). It has a nice long strap that can go over my head so the strap is over my chest and hard for someone to just grab. The purse allows access to my gun with my left hand (softpaw here).

It is the kind of looking purse that I normally carry.

So, I thought maybe I was home free with a good carry method, but just the same, I bought a fanny pack that had not come yet.

Here is my delimima, I went into a resturant. I started to take the purse off and put it on the back of the chair ("like I would normally do) and suddenly I realize... I can't... that is not safe.... I might forget it, someone might take it...

The purse is not the kind that could easily be put on top of the table while I ate. And besides, if I was at a fuller table I wouldn't have my purse up on the table in everyone's way.

What do you do with your purse in situations like this?

Next, I try the fanny pack. First, to wear it sitting it has to be a bit loose when standing. So, the fanny pack hung a bit on me. No big deal, but that gun got heaveir and heavier and heavier. I had to keep adjusting it. And then, the fanny pack was in my way. I have a belly already and it just stuck out that much more and I found sitting with it to be challenging.

I have a smart carry on order but I have serious doubts about it working for me as I am very heavy. And the gun is heavy too.

The most comfortable I have been so far is the purse. But I don't know what to do with the purse while in a resturant or while sitting in a meeting somewhere, etc.

Welcome to the Forum!

With that purse you may wanna consider one of the hangers that go on the edge of the table with a lil hook underneath. That is if the purse has handles vs straps.
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

Administrator
    Your questions are not stupid ones and they are actually pretty normal type questions regarding "off body" or purse carry.

Most women are not usually likely to ever forget their purse but, you're correct that hanging it over the back of the chair could leave you wide open for a purse snatch scenario.

If you put the purse on the floor then you could wrap the purse strap around your lower leg at the same time that you put your purse down there.
    That sure would help matters a bit in that you'll be sure not to forget it if it's around your leg...and nobody can just easily grab it and run off with it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Welcome aboard! No questions are considered "stupid" here - we are all more than happy to help out a newbie!
    Have you considered an on-body concealment holster? (Something actually made to fit a woman's body?) Off-body carry is a nightmare waiting to happen. What firearm do you carry? What is your typical mode of dress?

Welcome. I feel for women who carry because their bodies just do not lend themselves as well to CCW as mens' bodies.

I have heard a belly band worn high and just below the breasts works well. There are also IWB and OWB holsters made for women that carry at more favourable angles. To get away with this you need to use a blazer but that is not a bad thing. Well fitted blazers are complimentary to almost any figure, large or small.

I am not a fan of Off Body Carry for the many reasons you can find all over this site. Your recognition of the problem with the purse is a perfect example why.

Note that even with the strap around your necjk and arm the part of the purse grabbed in a snatch and grab will be the part with the gun in it. You will then be in the postion of fighting with a guy who is closer to your gun than you are.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenia View Post
    Here is my delimima, I went into a resturant. I started to take the purse off and put it on the back of the chair ("like I would normally do) and suddenly I realize... I can't... that is not safe.... I might forget it, someone might take it...
    Actually most people that work in security or theft prevention will strongly recommend against the back of chair even if your purse doesn't have a weapon in it.

And I know Gary will be able to help you!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome Xenia!

The fact that you thought of those questions and then sought answers rules out stupidity!

You just discovered the problem with off-body carry, whether it is a woman's purse or a man's dayplanner, or even a jacket pocket where the jacket might get removed in the course of the day.

QKShooter's suggestion of looping the purse strap around your leg is a good one - I do the same with my laptop bag. There's still a slight problem here though - it's technically possible for someone, even a mischevious child, to access your firearm without your seeing it.

And, purses present the same dilemma shoulder holsters do; the muzzle is constantly pointing at things you don't want it to. Since your hand is not on it, it's an acceptable risk, but it still gives me the creeps.

One other option that works well for a lot of women is a Thunderwear or Smartcarry holster.

They can be drawn from at least as fast as a purse, although if you're wearing a one piece dress you'll put on a bit of a show.

As a woman, you have more challenges to carrying than us boys do, but don't let that deter you. Be armed and be safe!

Also, if you haven't already, pay a visit to www.corneredcat.com. She has a lot of great CCW information, specifically from the distaff perspective.

Joe

VIP Member
    Hi Xenia,

In a restaurant, if I'm not sitting in a booth where I can put the purse beside me, the purse is on the ground between my feet with the long strap over my knee. That way it's not going missing and I don't have to ungracefully reach all the way down to the ground to grab my purse.

I hope you do find an on-body method that will work for you.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill just point out that depending on the size of the firearm , and the lifestyle you have ... There are also ' day planner' stye holsters out there that can be set on the table while in the restraunt with little to no comment .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

You would be surprised what a woman can hide on her body.
    Here is a pic of my wife carrying my Sig P239 in an Inside the Waistband Holster (Comptac C-T.A.C.), covered by a fairly tight t-shirt.

"When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Senior Moderator
    I agree with Protect. I too am a lady, I HAVE carried in my purse, but that is the last resort. A good holster will be of great value to you.

I agree with going to corneredcat.com.

It pretty much outlines the different types of holster for women and our different body types.

If I carry in a purse, like Betty, I try to sit in a place that has a booth so that I can set it beside me. Also, like Better, if in a chair, I hook the strap around my leg.

All of the issues you mentioned are very real for off-body carry, that is why I am loath to do it. However, I'd rather have my gun in a purse than no gun at all.

I hope you find a method that works well for you!

Thanks for the comments. I only have the one gun: S&W MP9c.

I usually wear twill pants with an elastic waste and in warmer weather, short leaved knit tops. When I do dress up more, it is sometimes just the same kind of knit top with an elastic waste skirt.

I never wear a belt. I bought a man's belt at the advice of someone and will need to take it back as I bought the wrong size. But, I tried an Uncle Mikes OWB holster on the belt and it stuck out big time. With the right belt it would ONLY work for use in a class or something.

In warmer months I never wear a jacket unless it is an important business event like testifying in court or giving a presentation in public. In the cold months I usually wear those same pants with sweaters, or long sleaved knit tops.

I only wear dresses (one piece) to funerals or weddings.

I am going back to purse carry today. I did check out cornered cat it is a great site. I didn't feel however that she was addressing the concerns of heavier women there. I couldn't tell if her suggestions would work for somone like me.

That concealed pic on page one where the woman is wearing behind the hip has been suggested more then once. How does she sit with that on? What about getting to it while in the car seat? (actually she could probably get to it in a car seat... but I am a lefty.... between the seat belt and the car door I woudl be fumbling with getting the gun long before the BG got to me.)

BTW, I did order a smart carry. I am hoping if it doesn't work they will give me my money back cuz I am out of money for anything gun related outside of ammo and range fees. There is a course I want to take on July 1st in Michigan and I am not sure I will have that fee as it is.

Regarding purse carry... another question...

Those who have these purses is the walls of the compartment on each side of it stiff or padded?

I bought a cheapo ebay gun purse. There is two layers of fabric on each side of the center compartment that is for the gun. The sewing is very tight everywhere on the purse. It is actually very well built.

However, my gun ends up laying down on the bottom, flat to the floor about half the time. And I am a bit nervous about when the gun is in its normal position that something would be able to get into the trigger guard... like my lipstick or my car keys. Mind you, I never put anything inside the gun compartment but the gun. (the extra mag goes into a pocket built for it in one of the other compartments.)

I had someone suggest glueing some cardboard inside each compartment on the gun compartment side to stiffin it up. But I wondered if other gun purses were like mine. I find it really easy to get my gun out of this purse. I would hate to mess with it with the cardboard and end up with a ruined gun purse.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenia View Post
    I never wear a belt. I bought a man's belt at the advice of someone and will need to take it back as I bought the wrong size. But, I tried an Uncle Mikes OWB holster on the belt and it stuck out big time. With the right belt it would ONLY work for use in a class or something.
    Don't judge how well holsters will work in general by a cheapo like an Uncle Mike's. There are some great holster makers out there who do excellent work in leather or kydex. With the right holster, belt and clothes, it's possible to conceal even a fairly large gun quite well. I'm sure there's a combo out there that will work for you, especially with a relatively small gun like the M&P9c.

re: stiffness and protecting the gun in the purse compartment...

Have you considered a Mika Pocket holster, possibly sewn in, used in conjunction with the purse?
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links