Anyone tried the 5.11 jeans?

This is a discussion on Anyone tried the 5.11 jeans? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in need of some new jeans anyway and since Levi's quality has suffered since they moved "South of the border," I'm thinking about trying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the 5.11 jeans?

I'm in need of some new jeans anyway and since Levi's quality has suffered since they moved "South of the border," I'm thinking about trying out the 5.11s.

What's the general consensus on these as far as:
    1). Weight of the denim (compared to Levi's)
    2). Quality of construction
    3). Ease of front pocket carry (j-frame or a PPK)
    4). Usefulness of those appendix pockets for actual carry (again, w/ j-frame or PPK)
    5). Anything else that stands out?

If they get a favorable nod from the group here I may order a pair on payday. Thanks guys!
    Jack

No 5.11 experience, but I can tell you Carhartts are tough as nails. I pocket carry my S&W 340 in my strong-side front pocket. I wear the carpenter style jean, but there are several styles.

If you're looking for jeans for carrying a weapon, and I assume it is part of the equation if you're looking at 5.11 and asking here, then take a look at the Blackie Collins Toters.

I don't know if Levis are even made in Mexico anymore, I saw 'Made in China' last time I looked.

Great info here on the 5.11 jeans from member PaulBk
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...004#post343004

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'm sure Carhartts are good quality but I'm actually interested in the extra appendix pockets found on the 5.11s so I can go back to using my front pockets for keys and such like I do when wearing an IWB.

Checked out the Blackie Collins model, interesting but at $75 it's more than I can spend on jeans ($60 for the 5.11s is stretching my budget badly).

I looked at the THR thread, I know he was only concealing a P11 but it's still pretty amazing that there was no printing what so ever. Exactly the type info I was looking for, thanks for the link. I've got some extra bills going out this month with car tags, DL renewal and the ever present medical bills but if there's anything left I'll be ordering a pair to try out.

FWIW, I've got Levi's that were made in Mexico and a couple that came from Guatemala. One pair that I've had for less then one year has belt loops that are already unravelling to the point I've had to trim the threads with scissors (looks like cut-off shorts). These are NOT the Levi's I grew up with.
    Jack

I have a pair of the 5.11 jeans

they are nice but the hidden pockets in the back (by you kidneys) I know are for cuffs, are uncomfotrable as heck to me at least, and i had a harder time drawing the gun for them it sat below the belt

the front pocket i hated to put my j frame in was impossibe for me to sit down

Im 31 yrs old 5-11 150ish 30/31 waist but i bought in 32 because i IWB carry

plus they are the most god awful blue color if they made them look better they would sell, my wife asks me why i bought a pair of jeans from the 80s

on a side not they are also a very straight leg almost taper they look stupid on me

but if someone wants them i can order and get you great prices

I bought one pair to try them out, and after wearing them a few times bought 2 more. They are well made and the denim seems to be slightly heavier than Levi's. I have carried my PM9 in the appendix pocket frequently when concealment is critical. It will fit completely inside the pocket when standing and offers excellent concealment, however accessing the gun that way is a little slow. I have taken to keeping the PM9 a little higher, with my belt across the grips. This allows quicker access, and also is much more comfortable sitting down. My G30 works well in this pocket too, with the grip just at belt line. Unfortunately, while the "spare magazine" pockets on the left hold Kahr 9mm magazines ok, the Glock double stack magazines will not fit at all. Of course, this boils down to a slightly more secure method of "mexican carry"than just sticking your gun in your belt. I'll have to try the wife's J-frame to see how it fits in the appendix pocket, but I expect it would work just fine.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex Dr. View Post
    ... if someone wants them i can order and get you great prices
    PM sent.
    Jack

Okay, after a few PMs back and forth I ordered a pair through Rolex Dr. He's been great to deal with and very helpful with all my questions - good prices too!

I'll post pics when they get here. Thanks for all the input guys.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Okay, after a few PMs back and forth I ordered a pair through Rolex Dr. He's been great to deal with and very helpful with all my questions - good prices too!

I'll post pics when they get here. Thanks for all the input guys.
    Jack
    Please do, I'm interested to see where these pockets actually are.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

5.11 Internal Pockets

Pockets are located here:

http://www.511tactical.com/Content/P...lineart_lg.gif

The mag pockets are actually two separate pockets, not the one big one shown in the diagram.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

How large a pocket is the 'Concealment' pocket?
    What size autoloader would fit inside that area?

Thanks,

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    I'm in need of some new jeans anyway and since Levi's quality has suffered since they moved "South of the border,"

5.11 is made in china, which is worse?

Paul, I believe it was your thread and pics I looked at over on THR - excellent pics and review, it's what convinced me to order a pair.

I'll more than likely be carrying a 642 j-frame and, eventually, a PPK in the appendix pocket so I suspect it'll conceal just fine. I've got Brommeland leather for my primary guns along with an UCC shirt holster on the way so the biggies are already taken care of.

Did you notice any major shrinkage after washing your jeans?
    Jack

Since this topic has grown legs again, here's a little more info.

What's the general consensus on these as far as:
    1). Weight of the denim (compared to Levi's)
    Heavy weight denim, similiar to original Levi's

2). Quality of construction
    Excellent.

3). Ease of front pocket carry (j-frame or a PPK)
    While the internal pocket is fine for carry, I sometimes still use a pocket holster to keep the pistol orientated properly.

4). Usefulness of those appendix pockets for actual carry (again, w/ j-frame or PPK)
    Pockets themselves are well built, strong, and have a built in 'print panel'. My draw time is slower than IWB, but faster than Smarycarry.

5). Anything else that stands out?
    see the rest of this post.

How large a pocket is the 'Concealment' pocket?
    Approx 5"x6"

What size autoloader would fit inside that area?
    My Glock 26 fits quite nicely. YMMV

5.11 is made in china, which is worse?
    My 5.11 jeans were made in Venezeula, not Mexico or China. Not saying that is better, just clarifying the facts

Did you notice any major shrinkage after washing your jeans?
    No noticable shrinkage at all. Turn them inside out to wash.

I will post pictures of the insides of the 5.11 jeans, showing pocket sizes and orientation as soon as I can charge the camera batteries.

-Paul
    Last edited by PaulBk; June 27th, 2007 at 10:12 PM.
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links