CTAC tension question

CTAC tension question

This is a discussion on CTAC tension question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Based on information to my questions regarding the CTAC, I placed an order for one this week, and low and behold, my mail lady just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CTAC tension question

CTAC tension question

Based on information to my questions regarding the CTAC, I placed an order for one this week, and low and behold, my mail lady just dropped it off. What a nice looking holster, and very thin and light. I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet, but did get out my XD9 to check fit. The gun snapped right in and seems very stable. My question though is that it went right in with a definite "snap" and seems tight to pull out easily. I'm sure I need to make some adjustments to the tension screws, but am curious on how much tension you have on yours? Do you keep it tight, or loosen up to where it still snaps but comes out easily?

Mine came relatively loose, but I like it. It won't fall out, unless I shake it hard. OTOH, I tried out an Infidel. That came much tighter. I loosened it to be similar to my CTAC.

Fairly tight, but not so tight I'm pulling my pants up to my armpit when I draw.

My rule of thumb: Hold it upside down with the gun in it. It should stay in until you shake it fairly hard, but you should be able to shake it out. I don't mean to force it out, but a good shake, nonetheless. Sorry I can't be more objective, but that's my input.
    LegalRaptor
    The freedom to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins
    Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'm making adjustments. Full FBI and loosening but not loose enough yet. Man, this fat boy needs to lose some weight! My gut and full spare tire sure make it dig a little. Great fit and very comfortable though. I definitely think too I'll get some tank top wife beater t shirts to go under my normal wear colored t shirts.

Well I am 180 and my C-Tac jabs me a bit also. Only thing I want to add is a cloth for a bit more comfort. I do not wear and undershirt all the time so those days it tends to get a bit rough.

Mine I played with a bit till I got the tension right. It holds enough so when I jump up and down it does not move but yet it will pull out easily when I want it to.

I also did the mod where I swapped the leather tabs so the C-Tac sits lower now. I have a full 15* cant and the front side of the holster dips a bit into my shorts/pants. However, I can still get a full grip when drawing. It does help my USP tuck alot better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Fastwaker View Post
    Well I am 180 and my C-Tac jabs me a bit also. Only thing I want to add is a cloth for a bit more comfort. I do not wear and undershirt all the time so those days it tends to get a bit rough.
    Some people have been recommending getting some "moleskin" and sticking it to the back of the holster. It lasts about a year and you can pull off the old, clean the adhesive off the holster with alcohol and put a new piece on, no prob.

I haven't tried it yet, but will soon. So far others have recommended it too and say it works well!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by LegalRaptor View Post
    My rule of thumb: Hold it upside down with the gun in it. It should stay in until you shake it fairly hard, but you should be able to shake it out.
    That close to enough to how I set mine up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Some people have been recommending getting some "moleskin" and sticking it to the back of the holster. It lasts about a year and you can pull off the old, clean the adhesive off the holster with alcohol and put a new piece on, no prob.
    I'm a big Moleskin fan and have it on all my CTACs. I put it on the back of the guard, the rivets, and even around the edges of the front leather tab.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyveear View Post
    I'm a big Moleskin fan and have it on all my CTACs. I put it on the back of the guard, the rivets, and even around the edges of the front leather tab.
    Me too. Makes any plastic holster even more confortable.

As for tension, I just went with what mine came with. I carry an Airweight J frame in it and the built in tension holds it from coming out even when holding the holster upside down and while rolling around the yard playing with the kid, but the draw is lightning fast compared to the leather OWB holster that I have for another wheelgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Fairly tight, but not so tight I'm pulling my pants up to my armpit when I draw.
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalRaptor View Post
    My rule of thumb: Hold it upside down with the gun in it. It should stay in until you shake it fairly hard, but you should be able to shake it out. I don't mean to force it out, but a good shake, nonetheless. Sorry I can't be more objective, but that's my input.
    Also good advice, I do the same with mine. It WILL come out if I snap my hand just a little when its upside down, but just up and down motion without much snap, it will stay. I would guess its safe to say I like mine slightly loose, It still has retention, just not as much as it came with. You'll find your sweet spot- give it a little more time and try out a few more things.

Quote Originally Posted by tnxd9er View Post
    I'm making adjustments. Full FBI and loosening but not loose enough yet. Man, this fat boy needs to lose some weight! My gut and full spare tire sure make it dig a little. Great fit and very comfortable though. I definitely think too I'll get some tank top wife beater t shirts to go under my normal wear colored t shirts.
    I am 6'1 160lbs. I'm certainly not a "fat boy", and it digs a little bit into my butt cheek area where the leather tabs are as well, where the bolts stick out. I have found that if I back the clips out a few turns, it really makes a difference. I did this last week and it helped me out a lot. I have not had a chance to get moleskin, but seems like a good solution.

About the holding power of the holster.. I have my bottom tension screw all the way in, and the top one, I have loosened up some (maybe 2 full turns, unsure exactly how much, not a whole lot) so I dont pull my belt up to my armpit when I try to draw like mentioned before. It still will retain the weapon when held upside down, and is loose enough for me now, that I have no problem getting it out.

Additional info: I have full FBI cant, the tabs are NOT reversed. (Takes it too far below belt for good grip...for me anyhow)
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I now have CTACs for both my two main carry guns. I like to hear a good solid click when my gun snaps into place when holstered. This seems to be the right adjustment for security and ease of drawing as well for me.

This has been great help. I just received mine and have been playing with the tension. I think I will try the shaking method upside down.

holstering mine makes no audible noise, but I can feel the bump when it goes over the trigger guard.

Its too late to edit my above post, but I just used the allen wrench supplied with the CTAC to check the turns. If you put the long end of the wrench in the socket, and tighten it all the way in. (so the handle is the short end, less torque allowed) After you tighten it in semi-aggressively without hurting yourself- just use your fingers, back the top tension screw out about one whole turn. Thats about where mine is.
    Last edited by floridaguy911; June 23rd, 2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Added important info in bottom paragraph.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

VIP Member
    I just got a CTAC for my Sig 228 yesterday. In the past, CTACs I received came properly set for me. It took a slight effort to draw, but nothing a 3 year old couldn't accomplish. However, I put this one on, dropped the pistol into the holster, and then could NOT get it out. I did have to replace a belt loop that came free from my pulling, but the pistol was firmly seated in the holster. After some adjustments, it is just like butter.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I have to add that today I was wearing my J frame in my CTAC while playing backyard soccer with my neighbor and his two sons.

We were playing pretty hard and I fell a couple of times on the damp grass. My gun stayed exactly where I put it.

I was also wearing a Carhartt web and leather belt and I cannot say enough good things about it. It performs as well as any purpose made gun belt and better than many. All for $25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links